Question for Canada Techs

babychild taxi

Hi,

I'm wondering if you have any plans to do some country wide training and education to parents/caregivers/professionals on car seat safety, 6 yr. seat expiration dates-need for replacement, proper usage, mandatory training/education for foster parents/social workers, etc , etc.

The reason I'm asking is because I see (in my job and in my community) a lot of misuse of seats, lots of OLD seats, a lack of awareness/importance of the whole car seat safety issue, etc.

Have Can techs ever thought about putting ads/articles in papers, subway/skytrain ads, community awareness fairs and so on? I know there would likely have to be sponsers for the costs/partnership (?Safekids Canada, corporations).

Just some ideas. What do you all think? How can we all work together to improve car seat safety here in Canada?

Cheers!

ADS

cantech

I can't speak for the rest of the country but here in my small corner of the world corporate partnerships have been tried to varying degrees of success.

I know I personally would love to see a public awareness campaign relating to child passenger safety. I'm hoping that we may see just such a campaign in the upcoming months with the introduction of our booster legislation, but I'm quite sure it won't go anywhere near far enough.

We need a massive national education campaign! The misuse I see on a daily basis is enough to make one cry! No seats, multiple children to a seat belt, no tethers, premature forward facing use etc. etc. etc. We need to educate law enforcement and public health(doctors) officials first and foremost! Many are completely ignorant when it comes to child restraints, (and I can say this with some certainty being related to at least 5 members of our local force), and don't even know it!

We had a program sponsored by Daimler-Chrysler, which withered probably due to lack of interest! Right now The Bay has partnered with SafeKids Canada, I looked at their printed materials on-line and it has a lot of misrepresentations in their illustrations, some of which were a cartoonized version of photographs on the NHTSA's site.

I personally train techs here. Once trained it is rare to see them back for clinics. I do presentations for public health, safety expos, community health clinics, and local retailers but without the infrastructure to support and reinforce the laws it is a very frustrating situation.

On a bright note our local child safety link is looking to organize a provincial conference for CRST's in the fall! I'm really hoping we can get this organized so that we can meet with like minded individuals to talk about the frustrations we all share with this addiction/passion we call child passenger safety.

Okay that was quite a rant! I just get really frustrated with the lack of governmental support to something so elementary...

There are even days when I have mixed thoughts about having found this forum...it's nice to share with like minded individuals but frustrating to see all the options available to you.

babychild taxi

Good Start

Hi-thanks for your reply. It sounds like things have been tried, but you are right, much needs to be done!

I have always been interested in child safety as I'm a child development consultant and have friends, cousins with kids, etc. However, I became more interested when I started helping out a young mom and her 3 young children who are in foster care (I drive them), and also because I transport another child who I volunteer with. My rule is if kids are in my car, their safety is my responsibility, even if I'm not a parent.

So, yes, there is a great need here in Canada for proper info/education. In the meantime, I'm educating people as situations/opportunities come up to do so. Who knows, maybe I'll become a Tech one day too!

Cantech-what part of Canada are you in?

cantech

Baby Taxi,

Your rule about being responsible for the child's safety is actually the law here in Nova Scotia. Drivers are ultimately responsible for children under the age of 16 riding in their vehicles. I wish it were enforced more though!

Cantech.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC