The safest place for children and adults in a car with no seatbelts

~mexico mom~

So you're in a car with no seatbelts at all. (Picture a small to midsized four-door sedan.) Given that the adults can't strap in and the children are not going to be in carseats, where to you put people to make them as safe as possible?

See, I have always worried about taking taxis that have nothing whatsoever in the way of restraints. Last place we lived we had no car, so on the rare occasion we didn't take public transit, we were in seatbelt-less taxis. It just occurred to me again because we are taking a taxi to the airport here, and it has worried me each time here too that there seem to be no seatbelts.

Do you just tell kids to sit back against their seats as though they were strapped in and tell them not crawl around? Do you put small ones on the floor?? Would it help to stabilize them against the front seat?? When dd was little I used to stabilize her standing between my legs on the floor - fine if the driver is a little reckless, but probably not good in an accident.

Without telling horror stories to scare me more (I make up just fine ones myself!), I would love some insight or advice. Thanks.

ADS

Lea_Ontario

You don't.

I have never been in a taxi that didn't have seatbelts, but have often found them to be tucked down into the crack of the seat.

I would NOT put my child especially into a vehicle without a restraint. It's not worth the risk. A taxi is not any safer than any other passenger vehicle.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Buses are different than passenger cars -- the sheer size makes them less likely to crash, plus they're heavier.... If there is absolutely no other SAFE method of transportation, then a bus without belts is a better choice than a taxi without belts :eek: However, I'd seriously look into a rental vehicle that does have seatlebtls so that carseats can be installed!

~mexico mom~

I know it's a bad idea or I wouldn't mention it. Of course taxis aren't any safer than other cars - and often less if you take into account the driver. But if you live in the United States you have the luxury of driving much safer cars than in much of the world. Any seatbelts in some of these cars were removed years ago. It's all well and good to tell me what I would do in an ideal world, but rental cars are not exactly the norm in Central Asia. Or several places that my family has lived. I am looking for the best way to deal with a bad situation. Any answers to the original question would be helpful. Otherwise, yes, I will try whenever possible to do what is safest for my family, but I may not always know what that is. Hence the question posed.

BTW I assure you I have offended many drivers by digging out long-forgotten grimey seatbelts from under seats! ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's difficult to answer the original question because the basis of vehicle safety is that at the very least a seatbelt prevents an occupant from being ejected (which is 4 times as likely to cause death) :(

In general the middle is the safest, but I wonder what other thechs think about the front seats helping provide some block to the back passengers from crashing through the windshield :confused: Frontal crashes are the most common, but side impacts usually cause more severe head injuries -- this is considering that the occupants are using seatbelts, though....

In the past with a couple others who've asked what to do with infants when in similar situations visiting 3rd world countries, we've suggested keeping the infant in a sling/babywrap/etc. on the chest. Otherwise, the best answer I have when there really is no other choice: just sit in the back, hold on & pray :eek:

~mexico mom~

The best answer I have when there really is no other choice: just sit in the back, hold on & pray.

I have done this on several occasions and it is nerve-wracking! Thanks for making me smile in recognition, though. And thank you for trying to address the issue. I too feel like the front seat ought to offer a little protection from ejection, but only if you are little, and thus the question of whether to tuck children behind that seat in the center. The options generally make me go :eek: whenever I contemplate a crash.

BTW any suggestions of searches to bring up previous discussions like this. I didn't have any luck. But most questions have been asked at least once on this board, I bet.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Heh, yes we do seem to answer questions repeatedly, but that's OK :D :p

One conversation I can remember was about India & I can't remember if the issue was finally "solved" in a thread I created about Chile -- so at the bottom right of the screen should be a box in which you can scroll down to find SEARCH & then use key words....

P.S. Now I'm reminded of how disappointed I am I'm missing out on the trip to Chile *harumph!* :rolleyes:

Dillipop

I would think that tucking the small children on the floor behind the seat would, in effect, compartmentalize them. Just like on a school bus. If I had no other options, in your situation, I would have my children on the floor, one on each side, so they don't hit each other in an impact. With them on the floor, the adults would be above the children in an impact and less likely to hit them. Obviously not the safest, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do and like papooses said, hold on tight and pray.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC