All right, I have to ask...

zeo2ski

What is the point of higher weight infant buckets? I know everyone loves the SS1/SR32 and KF30 and was debating between the two if I need another infant seat, but is bigger really better? Do you still buy a convertible to RF after outgrowing the big buckets--how many kids actually make it past 2? Or even 18 mos for that matter, surely not more than half? Or do people go straight from the bucket to FFing?
If you're going to end up buying a convertible anyway, how long (how heavy) do you really lug that bucket around? And if you just leave it in the car then what's the point of a bucket? And then even when you have a newborn you still are lugging that big ole seat around.
And for the industry...if the point is to skip the RFing convertible (like the safe seat system) then most kiddos are losing out on a year or more of RFing in a convertible. Not that most people would RF past 2 but it's really discouraging ERFing in my mind.

What am I missing? I want to like these seats, I know they're great.
My opinion is biased since I don't love using infant seats even though I love looking at/playing with them. I ditched the bucket at 5.5 mos with my little guy and thought about putting him back in for winter jacket hassle but couldn't bring myself to use it again.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but all I can say is. TWO WINTERS BABY, TWO WINTERS and a detached garage. :thumbsup: (a 22 pound infant seat would have got me through one winter only)

ETA: and we didn't use it in a stroller or anywhere else but the vehicle, but it was SO nice to be able to buckle baby in INSIDE the house even it was heavy to haul her out

christineka

I think these seats are good for large babies who would otherwise outgrow the bucket at 4-5 months. Or for moms with muscles. Or those who use travel systems.

I have peanut kids who could fit in the 30 pound bucket to age 3. I hate lugging around bucket seats and have never desired to own a massively huge stroller, so I pass on those things. Of course, this time around I'm skipping the bucket seat altogether, but if I changed my mind I'd be getting a 22 pound bucket. I'd only want it for 2-3 months, but my baby could ride in it to age 1.

Oh and I've lived in freezing cold places. The first place was an apartment where our car just sat in the parking lot with no cover to shield from the snow. Now we live where it is a tad bit warmer, but still snowy and such. We have a car port only. I made my baby a poncho, so he's been fine to get to the van in cold weather.

NannyMom

I know several people that bought them so they could skip the convertible. Unfortunately, they are the ones with children that outgrew the bucket by height at 12-25 months :(

Sofi fit in the SS1 until 23 months.We stopped using it when she was 15 months because we had to send it back to Graco for replacement. WHen we switched to convertible, I wasn't happy. I didn't usually carry Sofi around in the bucket anymore, but it was handy to have when she fell asleep in the car and we were going somewhere (take bucket, put on stroller- baby sleeps. take baby out of convertible- baby wakes).

Baby S is almost 2 months, and at least 10 pounds. She is soooo heavy in the SS1! I'd forgotten how heavy it could be (lol, maybe because Sofi was 10 months before she was 10 pounds). Now I see why some people skip the bucket all together.

When you stop carrying the bucket, you can leave it in 1 car and buy a convertible for the other car(s). That could help space out the expense of buying new seats (and space out the DOMs).

I also really like the KF and the SS1 because of the lockoffs. They install so easily most of the time.

Mommy0608

I had a 22lb seat with DD, and she actually just hit 22lbs a few months ago (she's 2.5 years old now). I switched her to a convertible at 6 months when she was about 12-14lbs (can't remember exactly).

With DS, he started out in the same infant seat, but it was a PITB to use so I got the SS1 and LOVE it, but don't like how heavy it is. If it wasn't the dead of winter, I'd have just moved him to a convertible. However, we live in MI and it's just easier to take him in and out in the infant seat regardless of the weight (20lbs of kid + about 10lbs of seat = really heavy!!) Another reason for using an infant seat with him is that he's just now starting to sit up on his own, and our stroller isn't all that supportive, and I'm not ready to put him in a shopping cart. I'm also not really a babywearer because of my knees and back, so in the infant seat he stays for now. I have a Snap-n-Go stroller that I use with it.

Once it gets warmer out and he can sit up in the regular stroller well, I will probably leave the SS1 in the car. However, it's nice knowing I have the option of taking the seat out if he's sleeping and I don't want to wake him. He still always fall asleep in the car.

When people ask me about recommended infant seats, I tell them to consider the time of year when they are born (weather conditions) and how much they'd like the convenience of carrying baby in an infant seat. For some people, it doesn't make much sense to get the higher weight infant seat, but for others with big babies in the winter, it makes perfect sense. It all comes down to personal preference.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but all I can say is. TWO WINTERS BABY, TWO WINTERS and a detached garage. :thumbsup: (a 22 pound infant seat would have got me through one winter only)

That's exactly why my friend wanted one for her baby. He was born in early March, they have no garage, baby goes to day care (or grandma's) a few days a week. And we live in Michigan. So she definitely wanted to be able to use the infant seat through the end of this winter if possible. He probably won't outgrow it for at least a few more months, so it did the job for her. :thumbsup:

miraclebabies

I have the SS1 and love it. I used it with DD1 for about 6 months cause she hated it so much. It was a screaming fight the whole car ride. I put her in a MA and had the infant seat in my trunk, I would take the infant seat into the store or just carry her in the Bjorn carrier. She liked that best cause she could look and watch eveything. It was alot easier cause I had more room in the shopping cart. I could have used the SS1 till she was about 18mon old. She has always been so tall, so she might not of made it that long. When she was about 12 moths I tried using it again to see if she fit and I would just leave the carseat in the vehicle and carry her, it is heavy and I couldn't imagine carrying her and the carseat all the time. I have her ERF in her MA's and she is only on the 2nd slots and loves being RF still, her legs dont dangle adn she sleeps better. With DD2 I am going to try and use the SS1 as long as possible, she is a preemie and fits in it prefect. Since she will be one in Nov, I am going to try and use it through the 09 winter cause it will be easier to bundle her up. If she still fits, if not I have a MA waiting for her. She will be ERF in that till the 35 lb limit. My older DD just turned 2 and is only 24 lbs, DD2 is right on track with the same growing patterns so she will be RF for awhile to. I hate when people think ok it goes to 35 # so lets use it till the child turns 1 and then we will by a Nautilus cause it starts at 20 #. I really love the eas of the infant seat, especially in the winter and cold season. There are some people that go straight to the covertable its all a matter of what you like and prefer.. Crazy... ok thats my input

APmama2MAK

ETA: and we didn't use it in a stroller or anywhere else but the vehicle, but it was SO nice to be able to buckle baby in INSIDE the house even it was heavy to haul her out

DITTTOOOO lol. DS is almost 20 months old and is barely outgrown, technically he still has an inch but literally an inch left above his head. However, he also was born in the 2nd percentile and is still under 5th sooooo not most kids. If he had been born later though we could of easily gotten two winters out of it. Also, he has never since he was born been able to be set down after falling asleep so the infant bucket has saved us 20 months of him staying asleep after the car ride stopped lol, I will honestly be tempted to uninstall the convertible and lug the whole thing in now haha.

If he is sleeping I still will carry him around the store in it, but I dont hold it by the handle I put the handle down and hold it head to foot with both hands, so maybe thats why it doesnt bother me???

zeo2ski

Well it's pretty darned cold here, lol, but my DS fits in the SR no problem yet I don't use it--we don't have a garage or anything. I start the car, bundle up the kids, take em out and undress to get in the seat and in and out at every stop. PITA but I couldn't carry the bucket any more (mentally). I've never used a travel system but I can see how if you did that could make the "lugging" easier!

Baby S is almost 2 months, and at least 10 pounds. She is soooo heavy in the SS1! I'd forgotten how heavy it could be (lol, maybe because Sofi was 10 months before she was 10 pounds). Now I see why some people skip the bucket all together.

When you stop carrying the bucket, you can leave it in 1 car and buy a convertible for the other car(s). That could help space out the expense of buying new seats (and space out the DOMs).

I also really like the KF and the SS1 because of the lockoffs. They install so easily most of the time.
Was Sofi really 10 lbs at 10 mos?
I hadn't factored in the second car. DH has a company car with no back seats.
Yeah good point about the lock offs...if I had to put a bucket in certain seating positions in my car I'd buy one just for the lock offs!

Another reason for using an infant seat with him is that he's just now starting to sit up on his own, and our stroller isn't all that supportive, and I'm not ready to put him in a shopping cart. I'm also not really a babywearer because of my knees and back, so in the infant seat he stays for now. I have a Snap-n-Go stroller that I use with it.

... It all comes down to personal preference.
Hmmm, so babies that hit 22 lbs before sitting up, that makes sense then.
Yes personal preference determines most of this stuff! Your when-to-recommend is a good summary though, thanks.

The reason I'm so torn about this is that I really don't care for buckets but it would be nice to have the versatility to fit a toddler (this will be for foster care placements infants/toddlers). I just can't see carrying it around in the first few months though when the baby is small and the seat is big.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well it's pretty darned cold here, lol, but my DS fits in the SR no problem yet I don't use it--we don't have a garage or anything. I start the car, bundle up the kids, take em out and undress to get in the seat and in and out at every stop. PITA but I couldn't carry the bucket any more (mentally). I've never used a travel system but I can see how if you did that could make the "lugging" easier!
LOL, you must not have the -40 stint that we get here. :) We don't do the travel system either, but having a seat that is warm on baby's body was AWESOME! The base of our SS got so cold sitting in the vehicle that it transferred through to baby's back, and that was through the bucket that was kept in the house. I really couldn't imagine the coldness of a convertible at a young age.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have tiny kids so have no need for a bigger bucket seat. I also live in a warm climate and am ready to move to a convertible by 6 to 8 mos. However, I still would seriously consider the SS1/SR32 and the KF30 b/c they are great seats!

APmama2MAK

I know they do! After I found out some seats actually dont have lock offs I was just :eek: Then I had to start installing my friends daughters seat and it drove me off the edge I just said okay were not going anywhere unless we can walk lol. And now with an efta coming with no lockoffs I think Im going to cry if I have to return it just because of that. I really really really dislike seats without them. :twocents:

zeo2ski

DITTTOOOO lol. DS is almost 20 months old and is barely outgrown, technically he still has an inch but literally an inch left above his head. However, he also was born in the 2nd percentile and is still under 5th sooooo not most kids. If he had been born later though we could of easily gotten two winters out of it. Also, he has never since he was born been able to be set down after falling asleep so the infant bucket has saved us 20 months of him staying asleep after the car ride stopped lol, I will honestly be tempted to uninstall the convertible and lug the whole thing in now haha.

LMBO about carrying the convertible. I saw someone in walmart bring in a 2 year old in a convertible...wide awake, lol.
My DS is below the 3rd percentile at 16 lbs, but I stopped using the bucket months ago because it was getting to be more of a pain then a help (although he was 16lbs then too...maybe I should give it another shot? Hadn't thought of the weight thing until right now. He hasn't gained in 4.5 mos).

The sleeping hasn't been an issue here because YDS wakes up when the car stops moving but now that I'm thinking about it ODS did stay asleep in the bucket coming in and out.

See, this is why I had to post these questions, just needed you all to talk me through it:eek:
I guess since I already have an 08 SR if I get a KF30/SR32 I can just choose which baby goes in what seat depending on their size and needs at the time.

zeo2ski

LOL, you must not have the -40 stint that we get here. :) We don't do the travel system either, but having a seat that is warm on baby's body was AWESOME! The base of our SS got so cold sitting in the vehicle that it transferred through to baby's back, and that was through the bucket that was kept in the house. I really couldn't imagine the coldness of a convertible at a young age.

Well no not quite. -35 is the lowest I've seen, and this year I'd say it hasn't been below -10 (other than at night). But I warm up the car before going out anyway since my toddler has to have his coat off to get in his convertible anyway.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree..either the ability to bucket through TWO winters, or else to just get through one year forthose ofus with ginormous kids ( dd was 22 lbs at 4 months old, 31 pounds by 8 months old, so even the 30 lb bucket would not have lasted us a full year, but at least it would have got us to the point where she could sit up without help, like in a shopping cart, etc, you know? !!!)

APmama2MAK

LMBO about carrying the convertible. I saw someone in walmart bring in a 2 year old in a convertible...wide awake, lol.

Wow Ive had it happen where DS woke up after we got in the store but not often lol and def wouldnt actually carry the convertible in the store hehe maybe the house if he was sick or something and had a tough day though.

The other day I carried him around circuit city in it and he woke up I made a FAST trip out to the car 25 min of lugging it around and I was glad he woke up lol. I have really bad back problems and am used to being in moderate to severe pain most of the time so I dont notice much of a difference until its been like a half an hour of carrying it around.

I *HAVE* really worried that the snugride 32 is going to give parents the excuse of "its only 3 lbs" when the child outgrows it. Ive been thinking about it a lot and it is just bothering me. If they could just get those 3 lbs out of an infant and they CANT turn it around @ 20lbs (with a taller shell and easier to install more upright) maayyybe it will get through that hey this is how its supposed to be! Even if a lot of kids would still outgrow it before that weight SO maybe parents think it HAS to be infant bucket, forward facing. (or they will be like SOME people weve seen and just turn the infant seat around...ya know because thats totally in the manual :rolleyes:)

Sry for blathering on, Im in a talkative mood :D

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
For me, it's all about the installation.

Even if the KF30/SS1/SR32 only went to 22 lbs, I'd still love them and recommend them just because they are SO easy to install and use.

As for the higher weight limits, we don't have freezing weather, but we'll be going on a trip when this baby is about 7 months old, so I like knowing that I'll be able to use my infant seat (SS1) on the plane/rental car instead of lugging a convertible or wondering if another infant seat will still fit.

But still, all about the installs. :thumbsup:

bobbysgirl7103

Also, you never know how fast the baby is going to grow. My DS was 20 lbs at 3 months so I got a SS1 for DD just in case. It would be nice to keep them in the bucket until they can sit up in the shopping cart. But now she is 20 months and only 23 lbs. :rolleyes:

I am happy that I got it though. It is one of the easiest car seats I've installed.

NannyMom

Was Sofi really 10 lbs at 10 mos?
I hadn't factored in the second car. DH has a company car with no back seats.
Yeah good point about the lock offs...if I had to put a bucket in certain seating positions in my car I'd buy one just for the lock offs!

no, she was more than 10 pounds at 10 months (but certainly not 20 pounds). She's just tiny so it seemed like she took forever to get to 10 pounds :) I remember wondering when she would ever outgrow the preemie clothes (and she wasn't a premie!) and then when she'd ever outgrow the newborn diapers :)

zeo2ski

Easy installs are always good, and I would consider one simply for the lock offs.

Last night I was seriously thinking about trying the SR again for the rest of winter but I realized this morning the reason I decided not to: the cocooning. There's a RFing convertible in the third row center and baby is 2nd row center so if it cocooned to the back of the seat, there's the top of the convertible right there to smack into. So I'd have to put one of them outboard or switch and put the baby in the third row. Hmmm maybe I'll put the SR outboard and just use it to bring baby in and out but put him in his BLVD for the ride...(that's tethered so the cocooning into the other seat doesn't apply). I wonder if I should look into an infant seat with ARB for the next seat so I'd be able to put it in front of another RFing seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC