Do Radians have velcros to hold the straps?

zeo2ski

I'm wondering if I'm crazy here...I bought and returned a RN 80 this summer but I could swear it did have the strap holders. And now my XT does not have them. For the extra $$ I thought they wouldn't drop any features, but maybe the 80 never really had them?

ADS

NVMBR02

I have a 65 and a 80 and they both do. I never use it though, on those or my marathon. :shrug-shoulders:

monstah

Sorry to hijack but:
Does the velcro match up on your seats?? Mine has velcro but the patches aren't sewn on at the same spot - so it's more of a pain just trying to use them.

zeo2ski

I used them on ODS's MA and BLVD, but YDS has the support padding in so can't use those and it doesn't bother me at all. All that bugs me is the buckle tongs sliding down...

But my super particular 2.5 year old (who just HAS to get himself into the seat, BTW) has decided he canNOT sit on the straps! Which means instead of climbing in s.l.o.w.l.y. while I buckle the baby he has to wait for me to hold them out of the way while he climbs in--after making sure that I really have them out of the way.

I still think if the 65 and 80 are going to have them the XT should too.

Pixels

As far as I can tell, it's totally hit or miss if you get the velcro or not :shrug-shoulders:
I'm the OP from the thread linked above. The one with the older DOM (and no velco) was sent back to Amazon because we wanted one Champagne, one Granite, but both sets of grandparents got us Champagne. Anyway, I was going to just exchange for the Granite (and hopefully post-9/08 DOM) but decided to wait for the XT. And now DH has convinced me to wait until DD outgrows her bucket. Even though it's a BabyTrend, she'll likely be over a year old by the time that happens (mild FTT).

Pixels

I like the velcro on the harness. It's not strictly necessary, but nice. It would be even better if it was in a couple of places higher up, so it held the shoulder part open better.

I really wish it was on the crotch strap, though. The metal plate on the backside of it pulls the buckle down into the seat, and under her bum. Even if I move it, as soon as I let go it's back in the bottom of the seat. I have to fish it out every time.

sirrahn

My 8/08 65 has it, but I don't know that I've ever tried to use it. I almost never use it on my Britax seats either.

Kat_Momof3

my 65 had it... I used it all the time on the Marathon, but just never did on the Radian... not sure why.

you could always just get those velcro dots they sell at walmart and stick velcro on yourself.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Our former Radian 65 had the velcro, and so does our Radian 80. I use them and used them on our Britax convertibles, too. :love: I wish the Frontier had them.

sparkyd

I really wish it was on the crotch strap, though. The metal plate on the backside of it pulls the buckle down into the seat, and under her bum. Even if I move it, as soon as I let go it's back in the bottom of the seat. I have to fish it out every time.

:yeahthat:

I have the same issue with the buckle on our Marathon. That is the main reason I like the belly pad, because I can just grab onto that and yank it to get the buckle out from under his bum.

zeo2ski

Yeah the crotch buckle is always underneath but it's easy to pull out with the belly pad (plus my guy climbs in himself and slouches big time so I pull it out while lifting his hips up and back).

my 65 had it... I used it all the time on the Marathon, but just never did on the Radian... not sure why.

you could always just get those velcro dots they sell at walmart and stick velcro on yourself.
I've thought about that. I wouldn't want to use those, they'll just leave sticky goo when they eventually fall off! But I've also wondered about the safety of doing that--ski helmets manuals say that if you put stickers on the helmet it voids the warranty. So...I have always wondered if the sticker glue somehow can degrade the plastic. If it does, then I wouldn't totally trust it on webbing either, ya know?
The XT I got today doesn't. :( I wish it did. I love those things on the Marathon.
Did you install the XT yet? I'd love to know how it works for you!

glockchick

I did. :) It went it super easy. I thought I must have done something wrong at first. ;)

I twisted the buckle 3 times and made sure it went in the belt path and it's rock solid. The girls are fighting over it so I may be buying younger dd one sooner rather than later. Of course they're backordered until April now. :p

I have a question for you. Do your head wings interfere with tightening the harness?

Ok, nm. ;) I just realized that with a rear facing kid they wouldn't because the harness will come out below shoulders. On my ff kid, the head wings end up covering the harness a bit and it makes it a lot harder to adjust. I emailed Russ so I'll see what he says about it.

zeo2ski

Yeah see what he says (and let us know, I hadn't thought of that!), but I would think you'd need to move the wings up so they're not interfering with the harness at all. Which may mean they're above where they should fall. I never understood until now why the wings and harness adjust simulatenously on other seats!

Glad it installed great for you--you might want to post on the successful radian install thread because a lot of people say it's a no-go in suburbans, and then a few say it will work. So it may be helpful to someone else to see that it does work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC