3 point evenflos--were they recalled?

zeo2ski

The infant seats. I think it's the embrace but not sure. I can't remember if they recalled or just stopped making them.

ADS

cpsaddict

The Embrace was not made in a 3pt, but the Discovery and the Portabout both were. All Discovery seats were recalled for problems related to the base and the Portabouts were all recalled(3 and 5pt harnesses) for handle issues. None were recalled specifically because they had a 3pt harness. The Portabout 3pt harness was actually one of the better fitting 3pt harnesses.

zeo2ski

Thanks. It must be the discovery then. I know it's one they had on the shelf when I was pg with my 2.5 year old.

I saw a lady in walmart with two pink evenflo big kid booster boxes in her cart and then behind her was a dad with 2 little girls, maybe 3 and 4 years old. A couple aisles later I was relieved to see the dad and girls pair up with their real mom and the other lady with the boosters was actually not with them--phew, until I see the mom has the new baby in a 3 point evenflo, the blue and tan with a bear on it. I've seen a lot of them lately and wasn't sure what the story was on them.

cpsaddict

Thanks. It must be the discovery then. I know it's one they had on the shelf when I was pg with my 2.5 year old.

I saw a lady in walmart with two pink evenflo big kid booster boxes in her cart and then behind her was a dad with 2 little girls, maybe 3 and 4 years old. A couple aisles later I was relieved to see the dad and girls pair up with their real mom and the other lady with the boosters was actually not with them--phew, until I see the mom has the new baby in a 3 point evenflo, the blue and tan with a bear on it. I've seen a lot of them lately and wasn't sure what the story was on them.

That would be recalled. THe recall was for everything 2007 and back, I think. The "fix" was a total joke, too.

Kat_Momof3

and whatever ones weren't recalled... they were discontinued the same year the Triumph Advance was released.

that was the year all seats got EPS foam and 5-point harnesses (well, boosters didn't get harnesses, obviously, but they got foam)

Mommy0608

. . .and the Portabouts were all recalled(3 and 5pt harnesses) for handle issues. None were recalled specifically because they had a 3pt harness. The Portabout 3pt harness was actually one of the better fitting 3pt harnesses.

ALL PortAbouts were recalled? :scratcheshead: I have a 5-point PortAbout, DOM is sometime in 2004 (can't check, it's out on loan to my brother). It's not on my recall list. If you have any info about this I'd appreciate it so I can relay the message to him. I did register the seat, but haven't received any notification.

Mommy0608

The Walmart here was selling those 3-point Discovery seats with the bear last year, if I remember correctly... they were really inexpensive, so they probably sold tons of them.

zeo2ski

The Embrace was not made in a 3pt, but the Discovery and the Portabout both were. All Discovery seats were recalled for problems related to the base and the Portabouts were all recalled(3 and 5pt harnesses) for handle issues. None were recalled specifically because they had a 3pt harness. The Portabout 3pt harness was actually one of the better fitting 3pt harnesses.

This might be a wording issue--she said "all discovery seats" but "the Portabouts were all recalled" which could possibly mean "all of the portabouts that were recalled."

Yeah the Discovery was sold here too until very recently and was the cheapest. Plus the only walmart in-store alternative was an ugly brown safety 1st starter for $10 more so the cute teddy bear won out a lot...

Kat--All seats now have EPS? I really thought the scenera still does not:confused:

cpsaddict

Hmm, when I worked at BRU we had to pull all the Portabout travel systems because of handle issues, so I ASSumed(LOL) that meant they were recalled. Maybe it was more of a vendor issue, which we did have some of. I swear it was because of the handle releasing. The Cozy Carry was recalled because of the base, I know and the Embrace for the handle. Gosh, this is going to drive me batty now.

Pixels

Hmm, when I worked at BRU we had to pull all the Portabout travel systems because of handle issues, so I ASSumed(LOL) that meant they were recalled. Maybe it was more of a vendor issue, which we did have some of. I swear it was because of the handle releasing. The Cozy Carry was recalled because of the base, I know and the Embrace for the handle. Gosh, this is going to drive me batty now.
According to Evenflo's website, the only PortAbouts that were recalled were Canadian ones.

Maedze

Other than the Scenera and Ventura/High-Back are there any seats currently being sold that don't have EPS foam :confused: (backless boosters obviously excepted)

zeo2ski

well now I "own" a portabout, lol. DH took his mom to this flea market type store and he saw this seat with a DOM 2000 for $10. So he told the guy that it was out there and expired and can't be used. Guy didn't care. DH told him the plastic degrades and all that and said he'd give him $2 for it and all he was going to do with it was throw it out so some kid doesn't get hurt. The guy says "well if its a good seat and someone can use it then I'm gonna sell it to them." DH ended up paying $8 for it. I'm so pissed--I doubt the guy knew any better before, but after DH explained it all to him he would still sell it, and I remember seeing seats there all the time when we used to go there in college. I picked up an old cosco highback there a while ago too, but that was in the free pile by the side of the road. I can't be stopping there to check all the time, but now we live very close and I'd have to drive by all the time...

ETA: I finally went out and looked at it and it's actually a Turnabout, ick.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC