Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

FAA info about ERF

I just flew on ATA w/ my 2yo (24lbs & 32") in her Britax Marathon and ran into 2 problems.
    1) Our MA didn't fit RF in the plane in our assigned seats
    2) The flight attendant told me that it was against FAA regulations for her to be RFing when i asked for a bulkhead seat. this is the 2nd time I've had a FA tell me that DD was not allowed to RF due to her size (last time she was only 13mo & 20lbs).

The flight addendant was very nice but she was addament that DD would not be allowed to RF even if the MA had fit per FAA regulations.

Is this true? I believe we're flying home on a different plane and I'm not comfortable haveing her FF.

Can anyone help me?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: FAA info about ERF

Print out these two documents for your return flight:

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes:
    http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...%20120-87A.pdf

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes:
    http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat.../info09002.pdf

With them, you shouldn't have issues with the carseat, provided you are on an American airline and not flying internationally.
    Katy

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: FAA info about ERF

I've seen where there is a prohibition against installing a carseat on a rearfacing plane seat, which of course makes sense, but then flight attendants get confused and insist that an RF carseat is not allowed. Those links the PP posted should help a lot, though.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good