help quick- school van?

Evolily

ETA: it was the short bus, crisis averted ;-)

I just got off the phonr w/ C's bus company. they said van #52 was picking him up. Could that just mean a short bus? I am afraid it will be a van w/out child restraints! I am mildly acceping of him riding on a bus w/out a harness bc that is what mom decided- but not on an ordinary van!!!

Help! WWYD? I'm technically only the nanny.

Last edited:
ADS

Evolily

What to do if it is a van though? I can refuse to let him ride, but then what to do tomorrow? I'll don't have a car to drive him ATM! Are school vans required to follow state law re: child restraints?

Pixels

It really depends on a lot of factors in the law, such as what the actual child restraint law says (specifically regarding exempting busses), and how exactly they define "bus." What state are you in? I might be able to help you with the legal end of it.

As far as what to do about it goes, there's not a lot you can do immediately. If it is illegal, wait until the van comes, check out the restraint situation, and talk to the driver. Don't let him go if it's not legal. You're the nanny, it's your job to make sure he's safe. If you can get him to school some how, then that's what you have to do. If the van is not exempted from child restraint laws, you can contact the bus company and talk to someone there.

Most places, though, districts are not required to transport your child for you. Bussing is a courtesy that they provide. You (well the parents technically) are still responsible to see that they get to school some how.

Evolily

I'll look up the laws later tonight *just in case* a van does show up sometime. He's in special ed preschool, so busing is mandated. I refuse to put him on anything but a bus or car w/ child seat UNLESS I have express orders to do so from mom.

He's my brother, and I am listed in the will as our moms choice for guardian if something were to happen, so it's a bit more complex than just being the nanny- although legally I am *just* the nanny- KWIM?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC