Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Nautilus Armrest Issue

My best friend just emailed this to me....

So, J's been picking at the armrest on his Nautilus. He's down to the hard plastic in one place, and it won't take him long to do more damage. I don't know how it started, but I can't get him to quit doing it.

Christine, do you think this is a bad thing? I guess I should find the book and see if this could be a warranty issue, but I don't know if he started it himself. Can I tape it? I guess if I did electrical tape or something like that....

Dh just shrugged it off b/c he said he was a picker...
    Thoughts?

I told her that she probably needed to call Graco but that I would post here for more input!

Thanks!
    Christine
    CPST
    Mom to Bethany, 7.5yo - Monterey/Nautilus and Benjamin, 3yo - Regent/Nautilus

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Nautilus Armrest Issue

I would say if a tear or something was present that he picked at, she should call graco. If he did it all by himself, they probably won't do anything about it. The only safety issue I see is a chocking hazard.

I'd tell her to be thankful she doesn't have the weird rubber anymore!
    It's not gonna affect the safety of the seat, and it's not a warranty issue since it was her son who deliberately did the damage.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I would definitely call or email Graco... not because it's dangerous, but so they can find a way to improve the seat or redesign things somehow. (or just *maybe* issue a recall for choking hazards, yup... )
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

ya, let graco know for informational purposes, but i wouldn't expect any sort of reimbursement for deliberate damage.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Let her know my 12 year old did the exact same thing to his Air booster (same kind of material on the armrests.) When I pointed it out and asked him to stop, he agreed. Then a few days later I was getting ready to pull out, turned around and there he was picking at it again. I said "I thought you agreed to stop doing that," and he looked confused and said "Doing what?!" Then he followed my gaze down and said "Oh. I didn't even realize I was doing it!"
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I would email Graco (you get more knowledgeable people) and let them know... because this is something that could become a choking hazard... after all, they say it's for kids 1 and up... what toddler doesn't do stuff like that?

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos