Matrix/vibe, Mazda 5 or something else?

Sewingbeth

We're car shopping. We have 2 in carseats (one rear facing 10 month old, one forward facing 38lb tall 3 yr old)

We think we've narrowed it to a matrix/vibe or a mazda 5. We really like the idea of having that 3rd row occasionally since we often have one or 2 more people that we need to transport though we are keeping our Tercel so it's not NECESSARY...

What do you think? Which is easier to get seats in and out of? (we have a Frontier and a Marathon and are in Canada. We will probably use those seats until we can afford new seats so we have seats in both cars) Which is the better buy?

Are we missing something? Should we be considering something else too? Thanks for your help!

ADS

LuvMyCharlie

I love my Mazda 5. I do bonk DS's head alot getting him in/out of the MA, though. If it makes you feel any better, I did have the same problem with the TF. As an adult, though, I've never had problems getting myself out of the second or third rows.

If you plan to have more than two kids, I'd probably skip the Mazda5. I don't think the third row was designed for everyday use. It's small, the seatbelts suck, and when the seats are up, it leaves you with practically no cargo space.

Sewingbeth

we're done at 2 (and are a same sex family so there are no surprises lol.)

We're upgrading from a Tercel so I think we're probably good on the bumping of heads on the car. We have roof racks on right now and I think I conk my head more than hit our baby's head. It's pretty easy to get her in and out of her Marathon. The infant seat was a bear in the Tercel though and we moved her out of it as soon as she fit safely in the Marathon!

Can you put carseats in the 3rd row safely? Has anyone ridden in the 3rd row as an adult for short trips? Latch? tethers (our seats are required to be tethered here...)

LuvMyCharlie

we're done at 2 (and are a same sex family so there are no surprises lol.)

We're upgrading from a Tercel so I think we're probably good on the bumping of heads on the car. We have roof racks on right now and I think I conk my head more than hit our baby's head. It's pretty easy to get her in and out of her Marathon. The infant seat was a bear in the Tercel though and we moved her out of it as soon as she fit safely in the Marathon!

Can you put carseats in the 3rd row safely? Has anyone ridden in the 3rd row as an adult for short trips? Latch? tethers (our seats are required to be tethered here...)

I've put infant, convertible(RF and FF), and FF-harnessed seats in the third row, no problem. I've ridden in the third row, as well as my 6'2" FIL, and we've been comfortable 'enough.' The trick is to not have any RF seats in the 2nd row if you're going to have passengers in the 3rd row. If I need to use the 3rd row, I do the carseat shuffle and put DS in the 3rd row and let extra passengers use the second row. There is only LATCH in the second row, but both the 2nd and 3rd row have top tether anchors. I hope all that makes sense! ;)

Doesn't Defrost have a Mazda 5? I've only peeked into ones I've parked next to, but I'm really liking it.

I love the Matrix and all, but the 5 seems more useful.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
I ADORE my Mazda 5. I would choose the Mazda over a Matrix in a heartbeat. Much more interior room. The 3rd row is fine for shorter trips and works well with carseats, too. Very versatile interior.

Our Mazda 5 has also been extremely reliable and trouble-free.

brittany741

I agree on the Mazda over the Matrix.

The Matrix didn't fare too great in crash testing (see informedforlife.org) and the Mazda has sliding doors- you can't go wrong with them, they are SO convenient!!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, someone already posted my Mazda 5 thread, so I won't go on about it, but I'd recommend it for your situation. It's only been a nightmare for me because I'm hauling four kids in it, with 3 in boosters. If I only had two kids it would be perfect.

Sewingbeth

wow! that was a great thread on the Mazda 5 and seats! Since only half of those seats are okay in Canada and we only have 2 kids, I think we'd be fine :) (plus we have access to the Nautilus now so that can be our new HWH/ booster for our almost 4 yr old and we won't need to worry about it much. have you had a Frontier in it (because youve only shown pics of about 8000 seats in there lol!) I don't rally want to uninstall mine for a test drive without my dd since it's not so much fun to install it in my tercel!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yes, I have had a Frontier in the 3rd row, actually. I didn't update that thread because I don't have any pictures. The Frontier does install there, but only with the long-belt-path (which is typical of a lot of vehicles anyway). :thumbsup:

skueppers

I really love my Mazda 5 also. I have ridden in the third row on a number of occasions, it was much better than I expected. I think the Mazda 5 is great for a 2-kid family who wants to be able to transport other people occasionally.

You might also look at the Kia Rondo. It is very similar to the Mazda 5 and has lots of safety features. At least three people at my daughter's preschool drive the Kia Rondo, and when I talked with one of them about it before I purchased the Mazda 5, she gave it a very positive review.

Heather98012

I realize I only test drove the Mazda5, & I do like it. But am I the only person who wished the drivers seat would move back a smidge further? I felt like my legs were cramped. Or am I a weird Amazonian & it's just me?!

But...for your situation...I'd vote the Mazda5 over the Matrix/Vibe (which is cute, but has a lot of road noise IMO).

skueppers

I realize I only test drove the Mazda5, & I do like it. But am I the only person who wished the drivers seat would move back a smidge further? I felt like my legs were cramped. Or am I a weird Amazonian & it's just me?!

It's not just you. I bought it even though I wished the front seats moved back further, because it was the right car for our needs. I figured I could live with it, and after a few weeks, it stopped bugging me.

niccig

I say Mazda 5 as well. We test drove a Mazda 5 and a friend has a Matrix. She has 2 kids and could get an extra passenger beside them until her DS was over 40lbs and they got a Froniter at same time that her baby moved out of the snugride. The car seats have to be outboard now, and there's no enough room in the center for a person. So, she can only take one person.

We didn't get a Mazda 5 for a couple of reasons. We only have one DC. When we do have family in town we need to get 5 people in the car and need lots of cargo room at the same time. The Mazda 5 doesn't have that. You can get roof racks though. DH wanted a bike rack on the back of the car and I couldn't find a way for that to work with a Mazda 5 - you can't put a tow hitch on and I read about not using door bike racks with the Mazda 5. There's probably some modifications that could be done, but DH wasn't interested in that.

It sends like it would be a better fit for you though, and I really wanted those sliding doors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC