Interesting Article on Air Safety for Kids

ADS

mommycat

I edited it as well when I checked the link after posting, but I guess I was slow. ;) Thanks.

Here's one of the seats they mention, the SkyKids:
http://www.erieaviation.com/childrestraint.htm
This is the Cares:
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/
SkyCot:
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us/passengerinformation/travellingwithchildren/index.jsp
That link also shows the Infant/Child seat which can be installed RF as well. It says:
Our new Infant/Child Seat is available on all Virgin Atlantic aircraft and is suitable for newborn babies, infants and children up to a maximum weight of 44lbs (20kg) or a maximum height of 40in (100cm). The Infant/Child Seat is available for use in all cabins.

Very good article. Especially the concerns about economics. You'd like to think safety is always first, but you can't completely ignore economics.

Still, it's bizarre that they won't develop safety standards and regs that make it easier for parents who want to bring a car seat aboard to do so. How hard is it to send out a notice that reminds airline personnel that many car seats are allowed on board?

mommycat

This is an interesting point on UK and Canadian airlines chartering eachother's planes:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/commerce/circulars/AC0223.htm

I think it says that 1) even if it is a Candian plane, so long as it is chartered by a UK airline and does not fly within Canada, it is allowed to use loop belts and 2) a UK plane chartered by a Canadian airline and not flying within UK they will prohibit the loop belt.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am trying to figure out what they mean by this line
Further tests evaluated use of automotive child restraints in passenger aircraft. These showed that forward facing restraints could provide similar levels of protection to those provided in cars. Rearward facing restraints were unable to demonstrate this capability when restrained solely by an aircraft lap belt - also reported in CAA paper 92020.
Does this mean that RF restraints were tested and do NOT provide the same protection as they do in vehicles? or does it mean they were "unable" to conduct this test on RF restraints? I think it's the former? and does that mean that it's safer to have your child FF if they meet the FF requirements for your child restraint?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am trying to figure out what they mean by this line Does this mean that RF restraints were tested and do NOT provide the same protection as they do in vehicles? or does it mean they were "unable" to conduct this test on RF restraints? I think it's the former? and does that mean that it's safer to have your child FF if they meet the FF requirements for your child restraint?

Interesting question that I don't have the answer to. (And I've admittedly not read the article yet because I don't have time at the moment.)

I know that with all the researching I did for the trip one of the things I came across was comments about passengers being seated rf'ing because it provided more protection to them, but speculation over if that protection would actually be decreased due to flying luggage etc. Of course it also mentioned that fewer seats would fit on planes and adults likely wouldn't want to sit that way... but it did make me wonder about a rf'ing seat on the plane.

The comment about the lap belt though doesn't make sense because car seats are tested with lap only belts. :confused:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The comment about the lap belt though doesn't make sense because car seats are tested with lap only belts. :confused:
I wondered that myself but then I realized this article was from the UK (I believe) and perhaps seats are designed for lap/shoulder belts there and only tested with lap/shoulder belts?

I'm going to have to go dig up that Mythbusters episode where they tested plane seating. I seem to recall they came up with rear facing being safest.

Pixels

I wondered that myself but then I realized this article was from the UK (I believe) and perhaps seats are designed for lap/shoulder belts there and only tested with lap/shoulder belts?

I'm going to have to go dig up that Mythbusters episode where they tested plane seating. I seem to recall they came up with rear facing being safest.
They weren't looking at RFing vs FFing specifically. The episode was looking at brace position vs. no brace position. But they did do one test of FFing vs RFing. RFing produced higher G forces, but they said it was ok because the body can take more G forces RFing than FFing. Like (I'm making up numbers here) FFing the body can take 40 Gs, and they were seeing 30 Gs, but RFing they were seeing 60 Gs, but the body can take 80 Gs. (A G is a unit of force equal to the force of gravity, so 40 Gs would be 40 times the force of gravity, for those of you scratching your head.)

mommycat

Some more links so I can fin them later to review.

http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/papers/Infant_Restraint.pdf

page 5 shows a pic of a possible issue with some restraints, at least in Australia (page 4 has the description).

Does anyone have resources to find this paper, which was the one mentioned in the Cranfield website?
Hardy RN. The Restraint of Infants and Young Children in Aircraft. CAA Paper 92020,
Civil Aviation Authority. 1992

sparkyd

The "skycot" (Virgin link above) doesn't look like much of a solution to anything except a place to put them down if they are sleeping. The baby isn't really restrained in there and it sounds like you have to take them out for take off, landing, and turbulence. What good is that?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The "skycot" (Virgin link above) doesn't look like much of a solution to anything except a place to put them down if they are sleeping. The baby isn't really restrained in there and it sounds like you have to take them out for take off, landing, and turbulence. What good is that?
It seems it's only benefit may be a way for the airline to make money off of lap babies....

Hann says that given most airlines recoup a small charge from passengers using child seats, there is a fairly fast return on investment. Virgin, for instance, charges £30 for the use of a skycot. "Virgin has 100% take-up of the seat in their aircraft," Hann says.

NVMBR02

If the skycots are simliar to the ones European airlines use most babies only fit in them until 6-7 months old. They are not restrained but it is handy for changing diapers. :rolleyes: I used one when dd was about 4 months old. It was before I knew better. The skycot itself was free on the airline we used but we had to pay closer to $300 in taxes and fees for our lap baby. Her ticket would have been about $700 at the time. If I would have known then what I know now she would have been in her carseat.

I only read the first article, I will read the others in a bit when I am not so tired and can think better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC