Kids are fickle... how important is a cupholder?

Splash

Please, someone just shoot me, okay?

I've made my peace with the FN. It's installed, it's fine, it's staying. He likes it okay, and with some felt circles I can fix the harness twisting, and I'll try and get him to where he can't move more.

But he can't reach the cupholder. And this annoys him to no end. The only reason he rides in a car seat is to have a cupholder :rolleyes: so it better be within reach. He likes the GN better, and I think it is primarily because of the cupholder and the little cubbies, but mostly the cupholder. He can reach to get things out of it, but not to put things in it. So I have to reach back and put it in for him. He does not like this.

He wants a better cupholder. I think the FN is a more appropriate seat for him at this time in my car, but he wants his cupholder. He's not gonna freak or anything, and eventually he'll probably be able to reach it, but is the cupholder reason enough to just get him the other seat? It'll be cheaper (because I'll end up putting the Regent back in the van and the GN in my car. The Regent currently resides on a shelf in the tumor room) and then i can just shut myself up already.

ADS

Maggie

Yeah, my kid is obsessed with little things. She's always bringing little figurines in the car and simply adores the GN cubbies. She told us she wants one for her room. :rolleyes:

Heamae

I tried so hard to get my 4 year to want the GN bc of the cubbies and she hated it. She *had* to have the FN. With her though, if I would have gotten the GN instead, she would have refused to sit in it!

Michi

To my kids a cup holder is the end-all, be-all symbol of a great carseat.
To me....not so much. (If they can't have a drink it's just one less thing to spill.) ;-)

'A' has learned to just tuck her sippy down next to her side in the MA. As long as it's a spill proof sippy, this works fine.
'K' does the same - because those elastic pouches on the side of the Regent are worthless. :rolleyes:

christineka

My ds wanted a gn instead of his radian for both the cupholder and the booster-like look. He loves his cupholder and cubbies and stuffs all kinds of junk in them.

I don't even put cupholders on seats that have those detachable ones. So far my kids don't care until about age 5.

mominabigtruck

My van has cupholders so it's not an issue for me, they just use the cupholders there. That being said, I would not buy a seat just for cupholders. Even when we go through the drive thru and they get drinks they're still able to tuck them in beside them in their seat so they don't spill. I defintely think Charlie is old enough to understand how to keep a hold of his drink so it doesn't fall or spill.

Splash

Oh he can keep it in his lap and not spill it, that's not the issue. The cupholder is THE only reason to be in a car seat. It's far and away that most fab thing there ever was or will be and truly the only reason to even leave the house. He puts cups in the mesh pouch of the Regent, or just holds it, but a cupholder... you know you're moving up in the world when you have your very own cupholder. Until then, well, you're a nobody :rolleyes:. To him, it is the ultimate. He feels sorry for kids without cupholders, and he looks for cupholders on every seat he sees. When I put the TF in my car and didn't snap on the cup holder, he was frantic. As soon as he gets a seat, he demands to see the cup holder.

As I said, kids are fickle. Fickle Charlie wants his fickle cupholder or the earth will surely spin of its axis.

APmama2MAK

Oh he can keep it in his lap and not spill it, that's not the issue. The cupholder is THE only reason to be in a car seat. It's far and away that most fab thing there ever was or will be and truly the only reason to even leave the house. He puts cups in the mesh pouch of the Regent, or just holds it, but a cupholder... you know you're moving up in the world when you have your very own cupholder. Until then, well, you're a nobody :rolleyes:. To him, it is the ultimate. He feels sorry for kids without cupholders, and he looks for cupholders on every seat he sees. When I put the TF in my car and didn't snap on the cup holder, he was frantic. As soon as he gets a seat, he demands to see the cup holder.

As I said, kids are fickle. Fickle Charlie wants his fickle cupholder or the earth will surely spin of its axis.

:ROTFLMAO:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You want me to see if I can rig something with plastic ties and a side rider to my FR armrest and test it's cupholding abilities? I only have the huge side rider right now, but it's a similar attachment style, I think.
My kids are used to handing me their drinks ALL the time, I've barely broken the 11 yo of the habit recently (in the third row, with 2 cupholders right next to him, lol), I don't think they'd notice if they were never on their seat or in the car at all, honestly, lol.

flutie128

DS loves the cup holder on the Nautilus because it actually keeps the cup in it until some other cup holders. He still hates the harness and prefers the HBB turbo that he rides in with DH, grandma, and the sitter.

Yoshi

maybe everyone else missed this, but WTH is a "tumor room", Splash?

".....The Regent currently resides on a shelf in the tumor room."

Splash

Eh, a room with no clear purpose. It's took big to be a foyer, too open to be a mudroom, too attached to be an anteroom, too narrow to be a den, too odd to be a dining room... it's a tumor room.

The entrance to my house looks like this-

**** ____________
**** l..................l
**** l..................l
**** /.......tumor......\
**** l......................l
*** /.......................\
**__l.........................l____
l......................................l
l......................................l

I should so be an architect...

See that thing at the top (well, the front)? That's the tumor room.

ETA- WTF, it's removing my perfectly placed spaces and screwing up my formatting!!! I added the periods to make the spaces stay.

ETA2- WTF again?? Now my formatting is all jacked up. I added some asterisks.

ETA3- Okay, now I'm just mad

Yoshi

okaaaay. Got it. (had visions of jars of formaldehyde on shelves with like..... tumors in them):p
We call that a junk room (most houses I've lived in have more than 1, LOL)

Splash

Except it's not a room. It's not closed off at all. It's like... a hallway. An open sided hallway to nowhere. Like in motor homes where they have the pop-outs to expand the living area when you're stopped? Like that, that's what it is. But it's oddly shaped and ill-proportioned and the windows are kinda funky and the door is smack in the middle of it and then it has these weird half walls at the archway that making it impossible to "overflow" furniture into it.

It's a bizarre room.

Kat_Momof3

one day you will have to show pictures of the tumor room.

but on subject... Jeffrey is the same way... he hated outgrowing the super soft parkway, but he'd hated it's cupholders... I never put the cupholder on the fpsv booster, so he'd enjoyed when I forced him in the third row in it in order to give Damian max height for his backless.

And there was no joy like his when, though he did not like losing the back on his booster, he got the cosco booster and it's cupholder that actually HELD CUPS.

Heck, what excited him more than the color, the headrest, the wings, the hugging of the seat, with the Monterey was... DUH DUH DUHHHHH... the NOT ONE... BUT TWOOOOOOO cupholders that WORK.

He can pop them out even while sitting... on his own. They actually will hold cups, soda bottles, whatever, while he's buckling... or while eating his snack/sandwich/whathaveyou.

Finally, that envy of his sister's Nautilus cupholder and all it's supreme power of holding cups faded.

Seriously... I think without the Monterey, I might have had to buy a Nautilus just for booster use back then.... except he ended up ruling it out cause he didn't want to use the same seat as his sister.

The only reason he is not upset at the prospect of when he has to hand down the Monterey to his sister? Because his captain's chair has a cupholder that, I assured him, he will be tall enough to reach when the time comes.

otherwise... I'll figure out something... a cupholder that attaches to the vehicle armrest, to the Olli armrest... something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC