Top Tether Anchors and retrofitting

Simplysomething

This was sparked by a thread downstairs, where someone wrote that a car company would retrofit top tether anchors for free (btw, I'm not disputing that, I know it's true. lol).

Do you think, with all the issues the automakers are having, that they'll stop doing that (offering the install of a top tether anchor for free)?

Though, it seems that it's mostly the dealers who eat the cost-with the labor--beyond the cost of the part. How are they reimbursed by the manufacturers?

Any ideas?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think vehicle manufacturers have bigger fish to fry than worrying about tether installation. The parts cost about $5-$10 (that's the cost to the customer, so a dealership's cost is probably far less), and I think the installation usually takes about 15 minutes. (Again, the cost to the consumer is higher than the actual cost of the labor.)

And given that so few dealerships even know what people are talking about when they ask about it, I have a feeling it's not something they do very often.

That's not to say they won't cut the programs, but compared to everything else, I don't think it's a huge money-loser for them. :twocents:

Simplysomething

I don't think it's a huge money loser either, but it occurred to me that they'd want to trim everything they could.

Of course, the whole installing a TA might be one of those "we do this, the customer remembers that WHATEVER MANUFACTURER takes care of 'em, so they'll me more likely to purchase one of our vehicles later..."

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think dealerships must be extremely nervous about getting reimbursed by corporate due to the super tough economic times the auto industry is enduring right now. This is compounding the difficulties vehicle owners have been known to encounter at the dealership level in getting the Detroit 3 to honor their respective tether anchor retrofit policies. :(

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Your post and the VBAC post were like right together, and I was like "Whoa. WTF is Simply asking about VBAC's??? MORE simply spawn?"

uh, I'm not too bright today, apparently.

:ROTFLMAO:

oh, you asked a question. Nah, I think they're too busy on tropical vacations to think about our tether anchors. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC