Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Installing a Keyfit without the base

Can you share some tips on how to get a good install with just the seatbelt for the Keyfit? We're travelling next week and will be riding in airport shuttle vans. I'm supposed to lock the seatbelt, right? I practiced a couple times in my car, but the bucket feels wobbly.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician

Re: Installing a Keyfit without the base

KF22 or KF 30? (the only difference is that with the 22, I think you need to peel back the carseat cover to expose the belt path).

Definitely lock the seatbelt. Have you tried some pool noodles or a rolled towel to help keep the seat level? Where is it wobbly? Make sure that you are only checking at the belt path.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Mainly you want to just get the lapbelt really tight while having the recline angle about 45 degrees. And then lock the shoulderbelt (unless the belt has a locking latchplate, if the shoulderbelt doesn't lock, the lapbelt portion does).

It WILL feel wobbly, but the main thing to check for is that the seat can't be pushed down if you push on the top of it. It may flip up and back pretty easily (weird and disconcerting, but it's just called 'cocooning' and it's not dangerous), but you don't want it to push down toward the front of the car (because that would allow too much force on the shoulders and possible ejection).

Edit, oops, too slow
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

It's a Keyfit 30. I'll try again tonight and see where it wobbles. I know that part of it was due to my car having leather seats, so I felt like the Keyfit was just sliding around. Is it best to install the carseat without baby first? I'm used to climbing in seats while tightening the belt, which is what I do with the FF carseats we have (Nautilus, Radian, our old Roundabouts) but the Keyfit's so tiny I didn't think to try.

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

Definitely install the carseat first without the baby in it. You may not need to put your whole body into it, just use your arm to push down on it.
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.