Would you be concerned??

Mama Jo

I just went home for my lunch break to rescue my carseats from the cold... My BLVD and Frontier were delivered to my front porch this morning, as no one was home to sign for them.

The boxes look like they've been through a trash compactor!! They're broken, ripped, smashed in places... and open - the tape's not even holding them closed anymore! I didn't have time to take the seats out of the boxes and inspect them (other than to take a peek at the cowmoo BLVD which is WAAAAY cute!) but I'm worried about the condition of the boxes a little - if they were beaten and tortured as they appear to have been, could the seats themselves have been damaged??? I've been waiting forever for these seats, I don't wanna send them back!! :crying:

ADS

Michi

Yeah...I'd be a little worried...:(
I would contact the manufacturer to see what they think you should do.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd inspect them for damage (rips or stains on the fabric, broken plastic on the base) and not worry if you don't see any. Britax boxes are really flimsy and lame (you're lucky there was tape on them at all, they don't come from the factory like that, the store added it before they shipped to you), the seats inside are considerably better constructed :thumbsup:

Mama Jo

I'd inspect them for damage (rips or stains on the fabric, broken plastic on the base) and not worry if you don't see any. Britax boxes are really flimsy and lame (you're lucky there was tape on them at all, they don't come from the factory like that, the store added it before they shipped to you), the seats inside are considerably better constructed :thumbsup:

That's what Britax just told me. Well, they didn't come out and say their boxes were never even taped shut to begin with, but they did say to inspect for damage and if there was none, then it's ok.

I had also contacted the store I bought it from and they told me the same thing - that it was shipped 'as is' from the manufacturer and that the boxes often come to them beat up already. I was curious as to whether or not it could be returned as a 'damaged product' under their return policy, and they said no, unless there was visible damage to the seat.

It does worry me a little... but I suppose there's a risk that any seat could potentially be damaged during shipping regardless or whether or not the box shows damage... I guess the next seat would have just as much a chance of being damaged as this one...

I always wondered why carseats weren't labeled for shipping as "fragile"... I know they're not exactly fragile, but if damaged, it could mean the difference between life and death for someone's kiddo. And I'm sure the majority of people don't inspect their carseats with a fine-toothed comb for damage - they just assume it's fine...

Have I crossed over the line between parental concern and psychotic paranoia??

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No psychotic paranoia that I can see :p
But I promise there's no weird hidden damage that's going to cause the seat to fail in a crash...if there's damage, you'd see it, and the box would have to be pretty much completely gone for the belt paths to have been damaged enough to reduce their effectiveness. (think: seat completely run over by a delivery truck).
I've seen Britax replace covers that were really scuffed up through the box, and Marathons with cracked bases, so they know that this sort of thing happens, but I guess it's not problem enough for them to invest in much more expensive packaging, know what I mean?
:)

Mama Jo

Ok, now I'm starting to get excited to get off work and go home to take them out of the boxes and play with them!! 1 hour and 19 minutes left at the office... Unless, of course, the big man who signs the paychecks leaves early... in which case I might just check out a few minutes early too... ssshhh! :whistle:

I'll post pictures after the kids go to bed! If you haven't seen the cowmoo blvd, you're gonna LOVE it!!! Well, unless you're Splash... it is a Britax, after all... :whistle:

Kat_Momof3

people who have never owned a britax are oftened worried when they see the boxes aren't tape... they are so used to boxes being taped up.

but as long as the bag inside holding the seat is closed and intact, then the seat hasn't been opened... and as long as the seat is fine, I wouldn't worry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC