Where am I supposed to get pool noodles?

HEVY

I would rather use the noodles than towels, and definately won't use one of the pre-shaped things they sell in the stores.
So where am I supposed to find them out of season?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why won't use use the ones they sell in the carseat department? They are about 100 times better than pool noodles, and if you factor in the shopping around, probably don't cost any more (try a pool store, by the way, but really, the Safefit or Sunshine Kids noodles are WAY nice :))

itzmeigh

They can be found year round here. But then we do live in a more tropical climate.

I agree about buying one of SKJP anyway. They are made about 100 times tougher. I'm even mildly suprised that pool noodles are still recommended but they really break down FAST. Especially when exposed to heat and sun.

But if you really want pool noodles out of season then I'd check your local pool stores. If they don't have any in stock they may be able to order some.

veggiegirl228

I did notice that Target (well at least this way) have pool noodles now. If they don't try a pool supply store or even online?

HEVY

Is the SKJP one round? It looks it. When I bought one from BRU for Rachel it was shaped all weird and I couldn't get it to work at all. But I could possible need 2-3, that would up the cost, a lot. Would towels be better than the pool noodles?
Honestly whichever would be the safest I will go with.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The SafeFit one is the one that's pyramidal, you are supposed to rotate it to the angle you want depending on how much recline you need. SK one is round and cheaper. I always find towels just fall apart on me, maybe use some packing or masking or painter's or duct tape to keep it in the exact burrito shape you need?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
always find towels just fall apart on me, maybe use some packing or masking or painter's or duct tape to keep it in the exact burrito shape you need?

I always use clear packing tape. I fold the towel in half the long way, roll it up very tightly, then wrap the packing tape around it about 2" from each end. Keeps it perfectly rolled. (And personally, I prefer to use a tightly rolled gray towel that matches my vehicle seat rather than a bright purple, green or pink pool noodle. :p)

Anyone tried using foam pipe insulation? It looks like the same material and about the same length as pool noodles and could be found year-round in hardware stores.
(no personal experience - we had tethered RA's when DD's were RF so no need for noodles)

Mommy0608

I always use clear packing tape. I fold the towel in half the long way, roll it up very tightly, then wrap the packing tape around it about 2" from each end. Keeps it perfectly rolled. (And personally, I prefer to use a tightly rolled gray towel that matches my vehicle seat rather than a bright purple, green or pink pool noodle. :p)

That's what I do, though I haven't used tape - but that's only because I keep forgetting to stick a roll of tape in my kit. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I don't think there's a huge safety difference between a towel, noodle and noodle-like car seat leveler. It really depends on how well the towel is rolled, how well the noodle holds it's shape, etc. If your noodle/leveler/towel holds it's shape, doesn't compress, fits properly and provides the proper recline, I think any of these methods would work safely.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
its not out of season?
At least not here...have you checked a store lately? All teh winter stuff is gone, or on serious clearance,and the aisles are FULL of bikinis, shorts, fertilizer, seeds, pools, swingsets, etc.
We are in full spring/summer mode here...(despite there beign snow on the ground *sigh*)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC