Severe Car accidents and LATCH *death mentioned*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQueenMother

Okay, I have read crash test info on what is safer when comparing BPB w/ 5 pt harnessed seats. however, we recently had a car accident in our family where dh's cousins children and spouse were killed in an accident. None of the kids were in car seats (ages 9, 7, and almost 6).
The impact of the crash knocked the cab off of the chassis of the truck, causing the first responders to have to climb over the frame to get to the cab.
Now I realize that there is no sure fire way in all crashes to be protected, but I have really been bugged by the idea that if we were involved in a crash of this magnitude, the LATCH might be less safe than a seat belt would be. My girls are both in MA seats in my suburban, 1st bench seat, middle and outboard passenger positions using LATCH. I can shake my suburban shaking my seats and there are permanent indentions from the seats. I know they are tight. I just want covers made of bubble wrap and to know how to best protect them
What do you think?
Amanda

ADS

melaniev

I'm not clear why you are thinking that LATCH would make a difference. are you saying that it would be faster to cut the seatbelt than the harness? Maybe an EMT could answer that but I'm not sure why it would matter where you cut to release a person.
My best friend carries a spring-hole punch and seatbelt cutter in her glove box. I'm not sure with a crash of that magnitude something like that would make a statistically significant difference, since there are so many possible scenarios all with different outcomes.

I'm so sorry for your loss, that is awful. :(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm not a current EMT, but I spent several years as a first responder and EMT in NY. I haven't seen too many seat belts cut up, and I rode in pre-latch days, but it wouldn't be any more difficult to cut a child out from a latch seat. And if it was and time was crucial they'd cut the kid out of the carseat.

It's always nice to hear of people who carry precautionary measures, but there have been many a time where the glove box is simply too crumpled to be gotten into, OR it's been squished and popped open and the contents are all over the car or splattered on the road. Like I said, I rode quite a while ago so I'm sure current EMTs and medics know about modern cars with the many crumple zones, but when I rode I saw many glove boxes, steering wheels, trunks, etc not at all in their previous shape.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think her worry was w/ the truck being knocked off it's frame, wouldn't that basically undo the LATCH anchors b/c that's where they would be anchored? In that case I'm not sure it would be an safer b/c aren't seatbelts bolted to the frame too? Either way is not faster for a first responder b/c you can just as easily cut the LATCH straps as you can cut the seatbelt.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Pretty much agreeing with the previous post from the peach80, and so sorry for the original poster's loss.

I was just reading a thread yesterday on the Baby Center carseat board where in two separate crashes, kids in carseats were ejected due to apparent seatbelt failures in what sounded like severe high speed collisions. IIRC, A 2 year old in a harnessed seat was ejected and pretty much fine, but sadly a 3 year old in a belt positioning booster was ejected in another crash and did not survive.

But I'm not going to rush out and reinstall my DD's long seatbelt path installed Regent with LATCH, or my younger DD's RF LATCH installed Blvd. with the seatbelt. The way their seats are currently installed was the best way for me to achieve rock solid installations that shake the car when I check for any movement at the beltpaths.

Seatbelts aren't necessarily better than LATCH or vice versa, they're just two separate ways of installing carseats. Using LATCH or seatbelts properly with appropriate carseats is what's important IMHO to do what we can to protect our kids as much as possible. :)

Again my condolences to the original poster.

skaterbabs

As far as the seatbelt failures, if the vehicles were Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, it's possible they had generation 3 belts, which are known for releasing inappropriately. Thus far Dodge has refused to recall the belts though.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
skaterbabscpst said:
As far as the seatbelt failures, if the vehicles were Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, it's possible they had generation 3 belts, which are known for releasing inappropriately. Thus far Dodge has refused to recall the belts though.

Oh great, now I know after buying a brand new Caravan. :(

skaterbabs

if it's brand new you probably have Gen 4 belts. I think they *finally* changed the design a year or two ago.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
(((((CONDOLENCES)))))

I don't have any other advice than what's already been said, but I wish you well....

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
skaterbabscpst said:

I've also heard about those Gen 3 seatbelt issues. I double checked the Baby Center post, and the vehicles were a Kia Sedona minivan and a Toyota Sienna. Here are the links to the two newspaper articles posted if anyone is interested:

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/082206/local_20060822001.php (2 year old in harnessed seat in Kia Sedona)

http://www.theeagle.com/region/localregional/053005fatal.php (3 year old in booster in '98 Toyota Sienna)

(edited to fix duplicate link)

Y

yosemitesamiam

I don't want to get off topic here, so forgive me if I do. What is the difference vehicle wise, between how a seatbelt is bolted to the frame, and how LATCH ancors are bolted to the frame? It seems to me LATCH depends highly on the seat's mounts, where the seatbelts are ancored to the frame directly.

Thanks all.

Sam

LEAW

Well in our van, the LATCH are ALL attached to the seats, as the seats are all removable, and the seats anchor to the car, so I guess the risk now becomes the seats releasing from the frame in an accident like that?

Does anyone know how to find out if I have gen3 or gen4 seatbelts? I'm assuming we have gen3 since it's a few years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC