Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

What should I do?

Hi everyone,

My DS just turned 1 on Jan 29, 2008, two weeks before his birthday he weighed 28.5 lbs and was 31.5" tall. He has been in the same percentiles in height and weight since birth. We currently have him in a Radian Premier rear facing, we are in Canada so the RF limit is 30 lbs. I want to keep him RF as long as possible. I estimate that he will reach 35 lb at 25 months old.

Option one : Buy a True Fit and use it once DS hits 30 lbs till 35 lbs RF. Then use the Radian FF from 35lbs and use TF as a back-up or sell it?

Option two: Wait until the Radian XT comes out and buy that and use the Premier as a back up or sell it?

Or some other thing?

What would you do? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Re: What should I do?

Hi,

Welcome to the board. My 2 options...

Option 1: get the TF to use rf to 35 lbs, sell the Radian and get Radian XT later. You can either sell the TF later or keep it as a secondary seat.

Option 2: keep Radian, buy the Scenera for use now to 35 lbs rf.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Providing it installs well in your vehicle, I'd go ahead and get a TF.

The XT won't be here for a while (I don't think) and I'm not sure I like the headwing situation for a small child. Even a large 12m/o probably won't be tall enough to make use of the headwings, and having them raised above baby's head makes a little nervous.

Unless you forsee needing a secondary seat, I'd probably go ahead and sell the Radian Premiere you have now. The TF should work well for you both in rf and ff mode down the road.

Good for you for keeping him rf past the miniums.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

I third the TF. We love ours and it's great for rear facing. We love it for ffing too, especially for the SIP because we have ours outboard. Of course a Secnara would be cheaper, but I love my TF so that's what I'd go for. If you liek the Misty Morning, buy it from Zellers and just about guaranteed it'll go back on sale in the next month or so and then you can get the price adjustment.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

Carseat Crazy

I "fourth" the TF! Great RF room and I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the headwing situation of the Radian XTs either. Plus it's cheaper. The Scenera is also a good idea if money is an issue, but personally I'd rather have the TF if possible. Once you've had both seats for awhile you can decide which one you'd rather keep if you want to sell one.

The True Fit is on sale at Toys R Us right now. Says $170 on their website, but I could have sworn someone said it was $160. It was just on sale at Zellers so I don't know if it'll be back on sale before you really need it. But it's definitely possible!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyd View Post
    I "fourth" the TF! Great RF room and I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the headwing situation of the Radian XTs either. Plus it's cheaper. The Scenera is also a good idea if money is an issue, but personally I'd rather have the TF if possible. Once you've had both seats for awhile you can decide which one you'd rather keep if you want to sell one.

The True Fit is on sale at Toys R Us right now. Says $170 on their website, but I could have sworn someone said it was $160. It was just on sale at Zellers so I don't know if it'll be back on sale before you really need it. But it's definitely possible!
    Ditto.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

CPS Fanatic

I love my true fit. DD is 9 months, 17.5 pounds and 28.5 inches tall. She loves it as well.