Whoa back up!!

ADS

Pixels

Odd. BabyTrend's website doesn't have that pattern. It also doesn't list any seats up to 30 pounds. It only barely passed the downward rotation test, so I don't see how they could rate it up to 30 pounds without some changes. It's probably just a mistake on BRU's part. Odd about the pattern, though.

Then again, it hasn't been released yet, it's still in pre-order. So maybe it really isn't a mistake!

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I read about the new patterns coming back in Sept w/ the ABC show stuff. They never mentioned any change in weight limit. I wonder if it's a typo. If they didn't change the size of the seat, though, I doubt a child would get anywhere close to 30# in the BT seat. IIRC, the BT is one of the smaller 22# seats and many kids are lucky to get to 22# in it.

Pixels

I did some measurements on my BT seat when I read FMVSS 213. Basically it's as small as they could legally make it (inside dimensions). There's actually minimum shell height, and width.

They might have gotten approval though, just to compete with the 30 and 32 pound seats. 99% of parents wouldn't realize the height difference in the shell, they'd just see the weight limit on the box and see that they were the "same" limits. So basically, as a marketing ploy.

I'm betting it's a mistake, though.

barnmama25

I did some measurements on my BT seat when I read FMVSS 213. Basically it's as small as they could legally make it (inside dimensions). There's actually minimum shell height, and width.

They might have gotten approval though, just to compete with the 30 and 32 pound seats. 99% of parents wouldn't realize the height difference in the shell, they'd just see the weight limit on the box and see that they were the "same" limits. So basically, as a marketing ploy.

I'm betting it's a mistake, though.

:eek: I knew the seat was on the small side, but I didn't know the measurements were right around whats legally allowed. Tell me, did you measure with the cover on or off? And does yours have any type of EPS foam?

I really hope this is a typo since it is said to not have undergone any changes. Cute cover but it better be bigger if it holds up to 30lbs!

BTW, does anybody have the release date for the Safety First seats that hold to 30lbs (and now that I think about it does it just stop at 30, or was it 35?)

Pixels

Cover was on (but the cover is extremely thin), and it does have EPS foam behind child's back and head, and on the sides of the headwings. I put a picture of it in the naked carseat thread. I only did very rough measurements.

I just looked it up. The minimum shell height for a restraint with a weight limit below 18 kilos (39.68 pounds) is 500 mm (19.69"); restraints with a weight limit of 18 kilos and up is 560 mm (22.05 inches). All restraints must be at least 8 inches wide, measured at the height above (either 500 or 560 mm). And any headwings or side wings must either be less than 4 inches deep, or more than 6. Oh, and it specifies "padded surface," which means measuring with cover and EPS foam.

OK, I just measured again. It's 20 inches tall with the headrest all the way up (adjustable back model). And it's only 5 inches wide at that point. The widest point between the headwings (measuring at the tips of the wings) is 8.5 inches wide. The main body part of the restraint is 11 inches wide. The headwings are definitely less than 4" deep.

Measuring with the adjustable back all the way down (so I'm measuring the outer shell, not the inner shell and EPS foam), it's the same 20 inches tall. At about 19.5 inches, it is 8 inches wide. That must be how they satisfied those measurements requirements. And the sides of the outer shell are definitely in the over-six-inches category for depth.

Kat_Momof3

the picture makes the seat look wider and bigger than before... so who knows.

I just contacted them through their website... so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

I notice the seat is much more costly than the regular one, too, so I think it's probably on the up and up.... it's less common for babies r us (as opposed to walmart/target/kmart) to have something wrong.

and is it me, or is that rigid latch I see?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks like the flex-loc connectors neatly tucked next to the seat, with the adjuster right there above it (the latch-loc had the alligator clips, these have a more bare-metal look, I think).

Cute cover, anyway :D

Pixels

No, that's the FlexLoc. :) I have both the FlexLoc base and the (rigid) LatchLoc, so I know what they both look like. I believe they stopped making the LatchLoc.

The seat looks identical to the one I have currently (which definitely does have a 22 pound limit).

Kat_Momof3

thanks for that clarification... I got excited when I saw the barebones connectors that looked like the old latchloc ones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC