Double stroller for 4 year old & newborn?

erinmi

First off, I'm new here but finding this forum very helpful!

We are in the process of a domestic infant adoption and may have a placement at the end of April. I'm looking for advice on a double stroller that would be suitable for a 4-year-old and a newborn.

Our DD is 4-years-old, roughly 41 inches tall and about 38-39 lbs. She still gets tired at the mall and she is not very good about staying close by (something we are working on!), so I do want to have the option of strapping her in if needed. I do not do a lot of rough terrain type activity, mostly sidewalks and the mall, so I don't think I need a jogger type stroller.

I have looked at the Sit'n'Stand strollers and am leaning towards that. The Baby Trend/One Step Ahead one is more within our price range, though I might be able to persuade DH towards the Joovy. I've seen mixed reviews on both but I do like the parent tray option of the Baby Trend style.

Is there another type double stroller that takes a carseat (most likely Graco, though I might get a KeyFit) that will also hold DD comfortably?

Right now, I have a Maclaren Triumph that we use with DD and I also have Graco Literider I plan to use if it is just baby and I. I will likely be out by myself with both kids, so I'm in need of a double. I'm also petite (only 5 ft tall) so some of the doubles seem incredibly huge.

ADS

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Since your DD is older, the Sit N Stand would be my recommendation. When I tried out the Joovy and Baby Trend Sit N Stand's, I found the Joovy easier to steer, but if you have the infant seat attached (and therefore have the front seat reclined), there is no room for the older child to sit on the bench. The Baby Trend didn't have that problem. Some of the Baby Trend models come with a removable rear seat to turn it into a traditional tandem.

Keep in mind that I looked at these strollers about 2 years ago and they could have redesigned them by now.

Rosey

I would probably only consider a Joovy Ultralite (or the new one coming out but it is pricey) sit n stand. The others are just not really any smaller than a tandem double. I would probably do the Joovy Ultralite if I had kids that far apart and only two of them.

I have experience with the baby trend sit n stand and my 4 yr old shakes the crap out of it when she is sitting on the bench so much so she spilled drinks in the parent tray. She can also reach her hands up there and access the tray.

I like my Mac twin techno which holds a newborn very well and an older child can easily hop in or out at will. My 5 yr old still rides often. Steers great, but it won't take a car seat.

brittany741

I have a Valco Trimode Runabout that I adore. It can be converted to a double using a Toddler Seat or you can buy the side-by-side.

I have yet to meet anyone who loved their sit-n-stand. Each person I know who has purchased one has ended up selling it on craigslist and buying the stroller they really wanted in the first place.

AtTheSouthDam

I have yet to meet anyone who loved their sit-n-stand. Each person I know who has purchased one has ended up selling it on craigslist and buying the stroller they really wanted in the first place.

I was one of these and my daughter, at 3, was about the same size as your four year old. It just didn't work well for us. She couldn't sit with the baby in the front. We tried the Kolcraft universal dual as well, but I couldn't steer it well as she was too heavy. She also had no leg room. Next I tried a double a jogger, Instep Safari TT. Too big. I didn't like having to disassemble to get it in the car.
I gave up and used my wrap with the baby until she learned she could make herself bounce by bracing herself on my thighs.
If I had it do all over I would probably go with a double umbrella that a full recline and just skip using the car seat on longer excursions when my older child when want to ride.

Sorry, I can't recommend anything based on use but I can tell what NOT to get :)

Rosey

The more I think about it, I really think my mac twin serves the same purpose as a sit n stand they way they climb in and out of it and the seat is more comfy than a bench. I even make jer hold onto the carry handle if we are in a parking lot and Makena isn't riding. So I have a stroller that is light weight, steers with one hand, reclines almost flat, and has a tall seat back for older children. Seems pretty good to me. But I am not a person who could go back to a tandem twin. Like I said, I would only consider the ultralite if you really wanted car seat compatibility.

Of course now I have been using the baby jogger city mini double, but it may be out of the price range. It is lightweight, holds older kids, but has a book fold, awesome sun shade, and goes over rougher terrain.

erinmi

Good points everyone :) Thanks for all the advice.

Does anyone know if the Maclaren Twin Triumph reclines enough for a newborn? I know our single says 3 months and up and doesn't recline fully flat.

Rosey

No, the twin triumph does not and it doesn't have calf support. But the Twin Techno has both and reclines really flat. If you PM me your email I can email you pics of a newborn in the techno if you're interested.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC