what infant seat to buy?

bethng

My good friend is due in a couple months. I have offered to buy her an infant seat. She doesn't want/need a travel system. Does want an infant seat before a convertible. Price is not an issue although if I could keep it no more then $200 then I could get her an extra base too. I am not very well educated on infant seats. I love the idea of an anti-rebound bar but not sure its really "needed". I want one that goes to 30 pounds or more. Am kinda looking at this seat. ....http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2872593. If you could buy any infant seat....what would it be and why? Oh, she drives a newer (2 years old?) Honda civic (I think that is what it is). First baby.

ADS

APmama2MAK

If I had to make the infant seat choice again I would definitely either go with the one I have now, an SS1 (now called the snugride 32) or a Keyfit30. My almost 20 mon old still fits in his SS1, Im not sure if he would still fit in a keyfit comfortably or not.

I love my SS1 because of the limits, how roomy it is, and how EASY it was to install in our '99 subaru. Ive installed it in my grandpas civic that was probably a 2002 or so, it fit nicely outboard, didnt try center. I havent had to spend over 3-4 minutes installing it in any car yet it just seems to do whatever i want it to lol.

I havent heard anything from friends who have the Keyfit about installation being hard though, and someone who has hands on experience might be able to help you out!

valleyfam

I've never seen the KF IRL so I'm not sure about it. I just bought a SS1 for our next baby. It seems easy to install and goes to 30lbs also. AustinsMommy has a nice one for sale in the swap forum right now.

anysia

we're in the market for an infant seat too and we're most likely going to get the keyfit 30 too. i loved playing with it in the store. for my first, we used a combi centre st which we loved, but it was not as easy to use as the keyfit is. my sister is currently using my combi seat, so it was a great excuse for us to buy another infant seat for #2. ;)

i can't really put my finger on it, but i just don't really like the graco seats. i know i don't like the size of the chest clip. i like the fabrics graco offers, but that's about it. i also like the way the bases are designed for the chicco keyfit in comparison. (my combi seat also had a great anti-rebound base that i really liked compared to most others out there.) i also prefer the handles on the keyfit and the combi seats over the graco ones.

i'm not saying the graco options are bad by any means, it's just not the seat i really wanted for either of my kids. ;)

flutie128

I loved my snugride. If I were to buy another infant seat it would be a snugride32 or at least a snugride with front adjust.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I love my Safeseat, so I'd get the Snugride 32. We had an SS1 for Ilana and have one for Olivia too, LOVE them!

NannyMom

I would buy a KF30 (like you linked too) or a SS1/SR32. I *think* the SS1 has a higher shell than the KF30. And I personally like the lockoffs on the SS1 better than the KF30. But the KF 30 has lots of nice padding that fits small babies well and helps deter parents from wanting the after market padding.

monstah

I spent a ton of time mulling over infant seat options when I found out we are expecting. See my siggy....

Go with the Key Fit 30 or Safeseat. :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I would buy a KF30 (like you linked too) or a SS1/SR32. I *think* the SS1 has a higher shell than the KF30. And I personally like the lockoffs on the SS1 better than the KF30. But the KF 30 has lots of nice padding that fits small babies well and helps deter parents from wanting the after market padding.

The SS1/SR32 are much taller than the KF30...
Here's my dd outgrowing the KF and outgrowing the SS1 8 months later...

http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5015871597836312962

http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5101172519647707202

(and yet it's not much more bulky to carry around, nor does it eat up a lot more front to back space in the car :thumbsup:)

:)

monstah

The SS1/SR32 are much taller than the KF30...
Here's my dd outgrowing the KF and outgrowing the SS1 8 months later...

(and yet it's not much more bulky to carry around, nor does it eat up a lot more front to back space in the car :thumbsup:)

:)

STOP posting this! I really love the KF30, but with my giganto babies, you always remind me I should be getting the SS1. :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
STOP posting this! I really love the KF30, but with my giganto babies, you always remind me I should be getting the SS1. :p

LOL!!!! Sorry, sorry, sorry! What you'll want to do is use the KF at first, and keep your eye out on a bargain on the ss1 and use it after the KF is too short. :D:rolleyes:

Kat_Momof3

with that budget, I'd want the Keyfit 30 or the Combi Shuttle... but the SHuttle isn't as user-friendly, so if she's not a carseat fiend like us, I'd go with the Keyfit... it's the most user-friendly seat out there.

I can't figure out how to ask a ? myself, but I'm deciding between the same two seats...

Joolsplus3-You had both, which seemed more padded and easiest to use? Oh, and which is wider. I'm trying to fit 3 across w/ a Scenera and Radian...Any special order I should put them in?

If anyone else can answer that question, I'd appreciate it, also! Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC