Carseat replacement after rear-end collision?

_meliska

I was rearended Wednesday night with my son in the backseat, in his Marathon. We're all fine, but my bumper and tail light need to be replaced, and the metal that holds my bumper in place has to be fixed.

Long story short, Geico (my insurance) says that regardless of circumstances of accident, the car seat needs to be replaced, and it would be if we filed through them. State Farm (other driver's father's insurance [oh yea, the other driver isn't even insured, to make it better!]) says that it will not replace the car seat based on the location of the accident (I was hit in the driver's side rear, son's carseat is on the passenger side).

I do not feel safe with my son in this carseat - we were stopped and were hit pretty hard, and I was pushed forward, so who knows what kind of damage the carseat sustained that isn't visible, kwim?

Geico told me that if SF does not replace the car seat, that they will go after them to get the seat replaced.

SF is taking their sweet time with all of this, and I don't have that kind of time (I had to locate the driver for them, they're not following up with driver's father, etc).

Is there anything I can do to show them/convince them that the carseat needs to be replaced? Is there anything that I can do to speed this process along?

I'm really not so mad about my car as I am that a stupid kid who had been out drinking rearended me with my son in the car. His friends bailed and ran behind a building before I was even out of my car. The clencher is that he almost rear-ended me at the light right before he actually hit me, and I said out loud "slow down before you rear-end me with my son in the car."

Any stories of how you got your carseat replaced/similar situations would be very much appreciated.

TIA

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What kind of car do you have? Some people consider a hatchback (like on a station wagon or minivan) to be a "door" and if your bumper needed replacing that might count as a "door near the car seat..."

Just a thought.

I say file through Geico and make them go after the other company, sounds like ALL your expenses will be covered faster that way...

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Call britax on monday and ask them to fax you that it needs to be replaced. Britax has different rules when it comes to needing to replace. So it will be varify.

Maedze

Your insurance is being very helpful with this, so I wouldn't worry about it. Purchase a new seat immediately and file the claim with your insurance company. They'll reimburse you and go after the at-fault driver's insurance company. You don't need to do the dirty work, that's what you pay them for ;)

On a personal note, I'm very glad you and your son weren't hurt. Drunk driving makes me apopletically angry. It's horrendously selfish and obscene and I'm not sure the punishment even comes close to fitting the crime.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC