BRU's "do not sell list"??

NannyMom

Does anyone (maybe the BRU employees) know anything about a "do not sell" list?

Someone told me today she went to return exchange her snugride for an SS1/SR32 and she couldn't. She ended up getting a KF22 (thinking and being told it was a KF30 :rolleyes:). BRU told her it was on their 'do not sell' list. I called that BRU and they couldn't tell me why. Just that they had to pull them all from the shelves. I called another BRU and was told it was because of the new lead paint standards. :confused:

Does anyone have anymore insight on this??? Is it only here, or are other BRUs doing it?

ADS

Evolily

The companies must not of completed the new lead testing on those product lines. At least that's my guess.

NannyMom

I don't know if I misunderstood the mother or what. I thought she'd tried to exchange the SR for a SS1 and couldn't get the SS1. But I thought she told me she couldn't get a SR. She ended up getting a KF because she wanted something comparable to the SS1. So it was the SR or the SS1 that was on the list.

How is this new testing working? Products that are currently in stores, will they be releasing something that says they've been tested?

NannyMom

was it a travel system? because the KF22 hasn't been sold in it's own in the US for quite some time.

Yes, it was a travel system. I think they originally had the SR w/ Quatro stroller. They wanted something "equal" to the SS1 for the 30 pounds. And the BRU guy assured them that the KF travel system was a KF 30. No, box and seat both said 22. I have never seen a KF30 in a travel system at BRUs here.

Qarin

We went to Dollar Tree today, because DD1 had a dollar she really wanted to spend. She spent 20 minutes looking at everything in the store, finally selecting a two-pack of plastic headbands. Got through the line to get rung up, and the cash register refused to ring it up- recalled. They said that the new, lower limits on lead levels kicked things that had been OK into being recalled, and they couldn't sell them, and I guess rather than pulling them from the shelves they've just set the register computers to balk on sale.

So, I wonder if this is the same thing your friend ran into.

flutie128

"I have introduced legislation (H.R. 968) to ensure the availability of safe and affordable toys, books, and clothing for children at thrift shops, consignment shops and neighborhood yard sales. This bill will correct unintended consequences of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (H.R. 4040) which became law last year. H.R. 968, sponsored by Representative John Shadegg, is identical to companion legislation introduced by Senator Jim DeMint, S. 374.
As a scientist and engineer, I know that every program can be improved. This bill will protect children from lead contaminated imported toys without bankrupting American small businesses including craftsman and second-hand stores. Millions of Americans depend upon these neighborhood stores to obtain affordable toys, books, and clothing for their children.
Specifically, H.R. 968 and S. 374 will:
o Extend the February 10th deadline for six months to allow for comments and practical implementation of the law.
o Allow smaller manufactures to use the lead testing done by their suppliers on their component parts to certify the lead content.
o Protect thrifts stores, yard sales, consignment shops and other second-hand sellers from potential liability.
o Prevent retro-active enforcement of the Act to compel manufactures from destroying products that were legal to sell prior to the February 10th, 2009 deadline. The bill would only require that products manufactured after the effective date of the regulations have to comply with the requirements of the Act.
o Provide a one-time good-faith exemption for small businesses who accidentally run afoul of the law.
o Require the government (through the Consumer Product Safety Commission) to provide small businesses with a compliance guide. This Law and the required regulations will be extremely technical and would serve as a burden on small businesses. "

I got this my Roscoe Barlett because I had sent him an email about the law. I know it is a lot to read.

vonfirmath

What is the definition of "Small" -- we've got rather large European companies pull out of the American market because this law was too onerous for them.

Will his law do anything about things currently pulled off shelves even though its kind of ridiculous? (books published before 1985, mini-SUVs/dirt bikes/etc. Any pen sold to a school, etc for the use of a child less than 12)

flutie128

The way I read the changes are going to make only things produced after the date required to comply with the law. I know someone was saying that libraries might have problems with the law because a lot of the children book are older and some are even out of print. I really hope they fix it because is not going to do as much good as they think.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We're having a guy come do some lead-testing on our toys and whatnot next week. (He has a "gun" that's the same as the ones used by CPSC and independent labs to do lead testing.) Just for kicks, I'm going to have him test our car seats, too. (Regent, SS1, Nautilus, maybe SafeGuard.) I'll report back if the results are interesting.

bfmarini

February 10th, the new CPSIA standards went into affect nationwide. Most children things manufacturers ( except clothing ones, I believe they're making some revisions for these ) have to comply with a whole host of new testing standards. These new standards address issues on Lead and Phalates levels in any product made for children.

Many vendors are scrambling to get the proper certifications filed in order to confirm their compliance with these new laws. From what we've been told by Graco / Chicco / Britax ... many of the other large brands, they're products are and have always been in compliance with these new tougher laws.

BRU may have instituted something special company wide. In the past, at least the store near us has rushed to pull things from the shelves and created a bit of panic.

APmama2MAK

Ill be looking for this :thumbsup:

We're having a guy come do some lead-testing on our toys and whatnot next week. (He has a "gun" that's the same as the ones used by CPSC and independent labs to do lead testing.) Just for kicks, I'm going to have him test our car seats, too. (Regent, SS1, Nautilus, maybe SafeGuard.) I'll report back if the results are interesting.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
All our SR 22 travel systems are off the shelves, some of the SR22's and Jeep strollers. I've heard of the mythical BRU KF30 travel system, but have never seen it, so if the box said it's a 22, it's a 22 and the BRU guy doesn't know what he's talking about :rolleyes: The SS1's and SR32's and SR32 systems are all still available for sale.

Funny, since the SR22 systems are gone, we are selling dozens of KF22 systems in the gray and green 'Discovery' color... the whole town is going to match (I try to sell the Red and Tan systems, but people are hell bent on having the gray and green, even if everyone else has the same thing :p)

NannyMom

I spoke with the manager there today. He said it's supposed to be all stores pulling items that haven't complied (either failed testing, or haven't completed it yet). He said the travel systems were hi the hardest, but they had to pull a few toys and furtniture items.

I think the woman that I spoke with in my OP was confused. She tried to return the SR22 system and was told it was on the no sell list (that message will come up in the computer system so it's not reshelved). So she thought all SR22s (and all SR32s?) had been recalled.

serabi

At least at my husband's store, not only are they having to pull things, they also have had other things then be allowed back out. Basically a merry go round of "recalled" items. It's annoying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC