Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Top tethering a FF'ing Marathon in a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab...

Yikes - I thought a FF'ing instalation in DH's truck was going to be simple. However, according to the trucks manual the top tether anchor is threaded through a loop of fabric behind the seat and then attached to the next nearest tether point (so for an outboard passenget seat it would be the centre tether anchor). However, the Marathon tether strap comes out from either side of the back of the seat so it is off centre when you loop it through and then attach. We can not get it tight enough, nor would it work to just attach it to the anchor right behind the seat. Any tips on getting it tighter or is this seat just not going to work FF'ing in DH's truck?
    DD - 1/20/06 - 58 lbs, 54", Graco AFFIX, Harmony, Graco TurboBooster
    DS - 4/19/09 - 44 lbs, 48", Graco TurboBooster

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Re: Top tethering a FF'ing Marathon in a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab...

It *is* tough, isn't it? We had our Marathon in a rental Dakota, and I managed to make it work, so I wouldn't say it's incompatible. What I remember about it (it was a while ago) was that you need to slide the hook along the tether so that the slack is on the side the adjuster's on. I don't think it's possible to get it as tight as you're probably used to either, but it should still be acceptable.

I don't think that's very helpful, but it's the best advice I can offer.

Carseat Crazy

Thanks. DH tried installing it passenger side - but that doesn't work at all - just can't pull the tether strap tight enough. We'll try it on the drivers side, but not sure if that'll work any better (it'll put the adjuster mechanism farther from the tether point so maybe that'll help get all of the slack out.

So frustrating! I thought a FF'ing install would be EASIER!

Hi,

I used to live in Northern Alberta, so I'm used to fighting car seats into all sorts of trucks.

Try this...

It'll take both of you to do this.

Shorten the tether strap to where you think it needs to be. It might take you a few tries to get it just right, so don't aim for perfection the first time.

When you think you have it about right, have your Dh hold the MA up in the air while you feed the tether strap through the fabric loop and over the middle anchor. Once it's clipped on, have Dh lower the MA onto the vehicle seat. Fiddle with the tether strap webbing until it's sorted out -- it might be sort of messy/tangled a bit at this point.

Once Dh has lowered the MA onto the vehicle seat, check to see how taught (as in, tight) the tether strap is. You want it to be fairly taught before you continue installation, but not so tight that the MA is hanging in the air.

Once you've determined that the tether strap is the correct taughtness/tightness, carry on with installation via seatbelt or LATCH.

(Old school techs will be reminded of this technique as it dates back to when tether straps were a beast to adjust [H-clips], and it really was trial and error to get it just right)

Anyway, try this method and see if it helps. I know the V-shaped tether is a lot to deal with in trucks. Lots of webbing, big adjuster mechanism, small space, so close to the glass, and just sort of an odd undertaking to begin with.

HTH's
    Last edited by canadiangie; 02-14-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Carseat Crazy

Thanks for the tip! We'll give it a try when the weather warms up a bit.