Question Who lets you try out seats?

APmama2MAK

Ive tried Target and BRU neither will let me try to install any of their car seats. BRU says they have the bench so no reason to try it in my car, but there is no bench in my car lol.
Target I *MAY* be able to if I get the manager but Ive asked 3 floor associates and 2 acted completely disgusted and angry Id ever *dare* to ask that and the 3rd went and asked one of the first 2 :(.
Id really like to try out the EFTA and True Fit before I buy them and cant find many people with the same car on here that have installed those ('99 Subaru outback wagon)

We have Kmart, Big Lots, Target, Meijers and BRU here. No TRU or Walmart (although I think theirs are bolted down). Not sure if Im missing any others that would carry one or both of those seats. Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Is there something you say to convince them or just ask "Can I try this seat out in my car to see if it will install properly?"

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Do you have any specialty baby stores in your area? I know there is a new Buy Buy Baby in Canton, and there is at least one specialty baby store in Ann Arbor (called Tree City Diapers, I think) that sells car seats. I'd definitely call ahead first to find out whether you can try car seats in your vehicle, though.

Maedze

This is what I'd do. Go to the register with the seat you want to try out. Charge it on your credit card. Bring it to your car. Try it out. Bring the seat back into the store and 'return' it. Charge the next seat you want to try out. Eventually you will either buy and return all the seats you want to, or someone will ask you what the sam hill you are doing and end up letting you take the seats out like a normal BRU does.

:whistle:

APmama2MAK

That was our EXACT plan lmao. I wasnt sure if they could get mad and make me keep it or something, or say oh you must be up to something we wont accept the return :rolleyes: I was planning on trying the scenera, tf and efta. Ill probably just do that since they are being difficult lol.

This is what I'd do. Go to the register with the seat you want to try out. Charge it on your credit card. Bring it to your car. Try it out. Bring the seat back into the store and 'return' it. Charge the next seat you want to try out. Eventually you will either buy and return all the seats you want to, or someone will ask you what the sam hill you are doing and end up letting you take the seats out like a normal BRU does.

:whistle:

To bookmama:

I know about Tree City Diapers but too far away, and Ill look for other specialty stores, Thanks for the advice

BookMama

Senior Community Member
To bookmama:

I know about Tree City Diapers but too far away, and Ill look for other specialty stores, Thanks for the advice

No idea where you are in SE Michigan, but there is apparently a Buy Buy Baby in Utica, if that's any closer.

APmama2MAK

Not much unfortunately :( Aurburn Hills, Clarkston, Waterford, Pontiac, Ortonville are all surrounding areas Flint is about 35 min away.

No idea where you are in SE Michigan, but there is apparently a Buy Buy Baby in Utica, if that's any closer.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
There's a Right Start in Clinton Twp, but I'm not certain if they let you try before you buy nor exactly what seats they carry, although I'm pretty certain they stock some Britax models as they were expecting to have the Frontier last spring when I visited the store. It's at that "lifestyle mall" called Partridge something or other, and the store isn't immediately adjacent to the parking lot IIRC, so they may not allow trying seats out in the car. Here's the store locator info. so you could call ahead if you want to ask about what seats they stock and if you could try before you buy:
http://www.rightstart.com/global/locator/directions~company~50.html

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hmm, is there a Baby Depot at the Burlington Coat Factory at/near Great Lakes Crossing? (I haven't been to that specific store before.) I think they let you try out car seats but I'm not sure.

APmama2MAK

Ohh there is a BCF in GLC and it has a baby depot but the only car seats ive NOTICED are the safety first infant buckets and strollers but I might be going to GLC today anyways, that would be SO nice lol. Thanks!

Hmm, is there a Baby Depot at the Burlington Coat Factory at/near Great Lakes Crossing? (I haven't been to that specific store before.) I think they let you try out car seats but I'm not sure.

Mom2One+One

Be careful with the returns. I know WalMart won't let you do more than 3 returns in a 3 month period. Doesn't matter if you have a reciept or not. They ask for your drivers licesnse when you do a return and put your DL # in their system.

When I was pg with DS, we would return duplicate items as we got them. I went to return something one day and was told I had to wait 3 months because I'd returned something more than 3 times in 3 months.

Maedze

Be careful with the returns. I know WalMart won't let you do more than 3 returns in a 3 month period. Doesn't matter if you have a reciept or not. They ask for your drivers licesnse when you do a return and put your DL # in their system.

When I was pg with DS, we would return duplicate items as we got them. I went to return something one day and was told I had to wait 3 months because I'd returned something more than 3 times in 3 months.

I've never had that experience. Perhaps it's specific to your local retailer?

APmama2MAK

I dont have a walmart close enough to do that, but in case thats the case with other retailers I could do the TF and EFTA @ target then go across the parking lot to Meijers where there is the Scenera. I could also call and see if Target has any policy such as that.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:
I've never had that experience. Perhaps it's specific to your local retailer?

MustangMama

I have never tried any of the larger retailers when trying out seats. We have a store called Kids Stuff Superstore and they sell high end baby stuff. When I asked if I could install the Clek Olli in my car, she didn't even hesitate. She said "Oh yeah, definitely! Let me know how it fits!"

APmama2MAK

Im jealous!! :eek: I wish we had more baby stores around here. If it was my car the I wouldnt have a problem driving, but its my dads car and he doesnt want to drive all the way to ann arbor. Hed rather I buy and return which is fine with me too as long as there are no return limits :D

I have never tried any of the larger retailers when trying out seats. We have a store called Kids Stuff Superstore and they sell high end baby stuff. When I asked if I could install the Clek Olli in my car, she didn't even hesitate. She said "Oh yeah, definitely! Let me know how it fits!"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC