Help with Booster Seats in a Town & Country

KariC

Hi, I've been waiting so patiently to post my question to you all! We are moving our twins up to booster seats, and I'm hoping to get some sizing advice from anyone....

We have a Chrysler Town and Country (2006), and I want to have the flexibility of having the boosters in the "way way back"/bench seat or the two captains' chairs by the doors. After hours of research, I decided to buy the Compass seats, brought them home, strapped a kid in to see how they worked, and saw daylight between the seat and the booster. I felt a bit uncomfortable about this fit, and manuevered the seat (and child) all around, and it just didn't feel "safe". The base of the seat was at least 4 inches from the back of the car seat, and they didn't meet until more than halfway up the back. I didn't even try it on the bench seat (in part because their Britax Roundabout Advantages are installed back there right now and I really want the flexibility of having the seats anywhere in the back). I spoke to customer service, and they told me that as long as the seat belt is buckled the child is safe (?????????????????????:confused: ). I also did live chat with someone from elitecarseats.com who typed that as long as Compass Customer Service said it was okay, it must be. I have since taken the seats back to Target.

So, my questions are:
1. Is it okay for there to be so much space between the booster and the car's seat?
2. Does anyone else have a T&C, what booster are you using?
3. Will the Britax Parkway work (I'm actually a huge Britax fan, just unsure of the wings for claustrophobic tendencies) in all 4 positions?

Thanks, all!

Kari

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Did you have the head rests all the way up, i know in my grandparents 05 T&C the head rests had to be all the way in the top possiton for me to get a covertiable seat in safely... Also booster seats do move much much more then a car seat b/c they are made to move with the child in the event of a crash, not be held tight into the car... maybe a CPST will come and correct me if i' wrong, but if you have a Babies r us or toys r us around they will let you take out the floor models and try them in your car first... maybe that, I think parkways would last longer anyways since they have the highest hight on them...

KariC

I actually took off the headrest (we have to with our Britax's anyway). My concern was really not so much the movement, but with how much of the seat didn't touch the car seat. Does that make sense? I expected the two seats to be flush....in part because all of the "artist rendered" drawings make them appear that way. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kellyr2

Also not a tech, but what I always see mentioned is that a carseat with a harness is designed to basically become one with the vehicle, but a booster is just a pre-crash positioner. Its hard to adjust your brain to think that way after years of harness use, though!
Still, a different booster may work better. I'd do what Becky suggested - go to BRU and try a bunch out. Put them in some Parkways - you may be suprised at how much they like them despite the head wings!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
KariC said:
3. Will the Britax Parkway work (I'm actually a huge Britax fan, just unsure of the wings for claustrophobic tendencies) in all 4 positions?

I know A LOT of children who ride in Parkways and have only heard of one child who has had an issue with the headwings. That one child, however, is on the autism spectrum and has sensory issues. She couldn't handle the wings. Other children, however, haven't seemed to have a problem with them.

my3girls

What points made you chose the Compass? The Turbo isn't as awesome as a PW (but I don't own a PW to compare) but it's a decent booster and has an upright and a recline mode. Sounds to me like the Compass was too reclined (not sure if there is only one position) and you need a seat that sits up straight. The PW's wings are big but it does adjust 5" taller, so 5 more inches of torso growth and it seems to sit very straight up (not positive though, just trying to remember when I've checked it out in stores a few times.

A couple weeks ago I was trying to install a forward facing Marathon in the capt chair of my van and it was super reclined (even though it was in upright mode) and there was a triangle of space like you are describing. BUT it was super tight, so I thought it was OK... maybe. But then it just kept bothering me and I unbuckled it and SHOVED the base back into the van seat and buckled it and SURPISE... no more gap, no more recline. But I really have no idea if this would work with a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC