Mercury Sable Wagon and car pooling

T

topmama

I am about to purchase a used (1997) Mercury Sable Wagon (like the Taurus) with a OEM third rear facing seat. I like this seat because the users torso and feet are far from the hatch back and its window- I could almost stretch out my 5'9" frame.

I am about to start car pooling 6 kids one day a week and will have to put one of them in the front seat which has an airbag with no built-in turn off switch. None of the children are teenagers or big, so in order to get everyone home, I am going to have to put my 52lb 4 ft 6 year old in the front - it the only way I can get this done.

I am planning, based on earlier posts here, on using a high backed booster seat with 5 point harness and setting the front passenger chair back as far as it can go, to get her away from the dash and airbag.

Any other suggestions/modifications?
Somewhere I read that we could qualify to turn off the passenger airbag if I regularly have to put a child under 12 in the front. Does anyone know if I can get the 5 year old car modified to allow a flexible on-off system, so that the airbag is not permanently on or permanently off?

Any other suggestions/modifications?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I hope I have some answers-

First, you may indeed be a candidate to have an on/off switch installed.

For local installers, please see:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/switch_install/index.cfm

Forms may be available from these installers, or by contacting NHTSA at the number at the bottom of this page:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/newtips/tip9.html

Are any of the children in a front-facing carseat with a 5-point harness? If so, they may be an even better candidate to be seated in front depending on the circumstances. Your 6 year old is too heavy to use the harness on combination booster models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC