Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Kids in Car Seats in a police car???

How would you feel? Dh had gotten a new job as a county sheriff deptuty, we are thrilled as this is the job he has wanted for So so long!! So with the job comes a car that may be used as a personal car, there for we are going to be selling our Dodge intrepid and leaves me driving the Land Rover full time and dh with this police car full time. Since i'm buying my kids all new car seat to stay in the land rover full time he asked if i woudl be keeping the other seats in the storage room of our home for him to use when needed in the police car?? Like when he would have to pick up the kids from school, ect. OR if we didn't feel like driving our gas hogging land rover somewhere, like into his moms for dinner, ect or walmart for our monthly shopping trip, ect we could use the police car...
    My only consern is that there is the thick plastic between the front and back seat leaving nothing except a very small 1 foot by 10inches sliding door on the front passanger side for me to be able to reach back to the kids and i woudl only be able to reach the child right behind the passanger seat not the middle or behind the driver seat... his point was that i rearly ever need to mess with the kids while we are driving but it's just kinda odd i think... although it would save us a lot on gas, but what do you thinK???
    Thanks!~
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

No, he can not safely transport children in the cruiser. In a crash they will impact the divider.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPS Technician
    well that stinks... i guess we might need to re think getting rid of the other car... the deptment told him they didn't see any problem in it... that's not good if other officers have kids in the back

No, it's not ever safe to have kids in a patrol car with a divider. Most agencies make a pretty good job of telling officers this, but not everyone listens.
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    - Denis Waitley

CPS Technician
    well i guess i'm just have make him get the word, out that is awful, our CSPT aren't the greastest around here, but for goodness sacks one of them is married to a city police officer you think she woudl ahve let the dept know...

You would think - there's a section about it in our training course.
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crazy
    my car broke down one time in the middle of a busy intersection in a tough neighborhood, and my older daughter was maybe 2 or 3. the cop that came transported us to the police station to make phone calls (this was 8yrs ago - no cell phone) and the police car didnt even have seatbelts! i was so worried and of course he drove like a nut. didn't have many options though.

How does the divider create a problem for using carseats ?
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    Federal standards only allow a certain amount of head excursion (28" with tether, IIRC). The divider is closer to the back seat than this distance, so in a crash, the child's head will hit the divider--not a good thing.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPS Technician
    I was thinking that the devider was farther then 28inches it's right up against the front seats... no where close to the back seats, the car has three tethers and is latch equiped, that's why i was thinking it was ok...

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar
    A measuring tape may be handy. But it's 28" IF tethered and IF, and here's the big one, it's used correctly. So 28" is your best bet. Without a tether (it may have LATCH and tether, but not all seats have or use that) you're looking at 32" as a best bet. I don't know how boosters go. I don't know if I'd ride in the back of a police car with just a three point seatbelt.

RFing seats are acceptable, since there's no head excursion to worry about.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Is it a crown victoria? I'm terrified of those cars. (probably irrationally, but still).
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

I asked my class instuctor the RFing question. I said, "Well, couldn't you put a child in a RFing seat in a police car with the divider because their head wouldn't impact the divider?" She said no. She said that the seat would hit the divider and that would be bad too.

I do think it would be SAFER than FFing, and in any emergency where I had to ride in a police car I would I guess just hope for the best, but I wouln't ride in one with a divider unless it was an emergency.

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65