School bus question update + new question

tl01

I posted last week about a friend whose just turned 3 year old will be taking the school. I believe she weighs about 30 lbs. I was posting to find out what she should make sure her daughter has harness/seat-wise to keep her daughter safe. I sent her all the great info I got here and am dismayed to hear her daughter is now riding on the bus in just a lap belt. I just want to make sure one last time that this is not an acceptable form of restraint for her. I would like to put together one last e mail b/c I would a least like to make sure her mother truly understands the risks of a lap belt. Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

School busses work on compartmentalization. Basically, the high seatback in front is supposed to help keep the occupant contained and protected. Compartmentalization only works from about 40-50 pounds and up. And a lap-only belt is worse than no belt at all in busses.

tl01

But I assume that for at 30 lb child that compartmentalization is almost as bad as a lap belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it has a lap belt and she is less than 40 lbs., she should fit in a standard car seat, which can be installed with a lap belt on a bus (as long as a tight fit can be obtained.)

Pixels

I don't know which would be the lesser of two evils, the compartmentalization at that weight, coupled with the child likely being out of position due to immaturity (age), or a lap only belt. Really, the lap belt needs to be used to secure a harnessed seat, just like in a car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC