Special Needs Double Stroller?

Melody

Does anyone know if these exist? I'm wanting to find a tandem that will hold larger kids. My (nearly) 4 yr old and (nearly) 5 yr old are becoming increasingly difficult to handle alone. Both have autism and have no sense of danger. One will run off one way, and the other the other way. Alone, I just cant split myself into two different people to catch them.

I either get stares of people thinking I'm a bad mother, people laughing, or "OMG! Do you need help?" Well of course I need help, but unless you're trained to get the attention of an autistic child, you're more likely to get a biting, hitting and kicking child.

I digress. I'm just about at my wits end. Jogging strollers will "work" but I tend to have an impossible time getting them into narrow doorways. Even at the boys' therapy center, the doors are extremely narrow, so I'd never get them in. I know we need to develop a behavior plan. Until we get a behaviorist that's willing to do more than an hour on the weekend, we're kinda stuck doing whatever we can to control the situations.

Thanks for your help again!

ADS

Melody

The almost 4 yr old is 39 lbs. The almost 5 yr old is 48 lbs. So just over the requirements for normal tandem strollers.

ctbcleveland

OK - here is what I've found.

The two maclaren doubles will accomodate 110 lbs. So, you have some time based on your children's current weights.

Maclaren also makes a true "special needs" stroller that will accomodate 110 lbs, but it is a single stroller and very pricey (the major).

I think most other options will be joggers, which it does not sound like you want.

I will keep hunting and report back what I find.

vangelder03

check out the fisher price wagon stroller it folds flat has seatbelts and holds up to 135 lbs oh yeah it has to seperate seats and is available at amazon 149.99

Melody

I should note that we are going to be asking for a prescription for this. So if you find something that's higher priced, don't be afraid of adding it. At this point, it's become such a safety risk that I don't feel guilty using our insurance to pay for it.

MySillyKids

Melody--

I think the BJCMD <---- link would be good. It holds to 100lbs, and fits through ALL doorways. Its the same size as a wheelchair, so it would HAVE To fit at therapy/dr's offices.

I've used mine many-a-times at both places. I even get people trying to hold open both doors for me :rolleyes: they are all amazed i can fit through ONE doorway.

I'll add that to the list of pics i'm going to take.. doorway pics! :D

Melody

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After doing some quick research on the three that have been listed so far, I'm gearing towards the Maclaren.

My nearly 5 yr old is getting quite tall, so I'm afraid that the Baby Jogger will be too short for him. He already has issues about dropping his feet and stopping the wheel. The Maclaren has the leg rest extension which will help with his height. And it looks like it'll keep his feet away from the wheels.

The wagon gives too much opportunity to their sibling rivalry games (ie kicking or throwing). With it being a pull instead of push, I have a feeling that they will try it more often than with a double stroller. As well, I won't be able to as easily keep my eye on to make sure they're not trying to unbuckle themselves. Plus it's only a 3 pt harness, so they will be able to bend down more easily.

It looks like the Maclaren also fit into doorways well, as did the Baby Jogger. And I like how small it folds down. It'll be much easier to fit it in my Taurus than the Jogger.

Thanks for giving me some direction!

lovinwaves

FYI, if you don't mind your arms being apart and having to push and steer that much weight, then you will do fine with the Maclaren. If you do mind, then the BJ would be better for you. Nice long bar, all the way across, MUCH easier to steer ;)

FWIW, I don't see him kicking/stopping the wheels being an issue in the Baby Jogger. :twocents:

With autism, your children might actually like the seclusion of the Baby Jogger canopies, and the recline it can give. The hoods are independent of each other, and drastically cover the child. With their seats also reclined, it's perfect for an Autistic child where strangers, lights, unfamiliar places, and crowds can be an issue.

MySillyKids

IMG_1254.jpg

2-- 4.5 year olds in the stroller:

1227040899396-1.jpg

My 4 year old and 3 year old:

IMG_9096.jpg

Canopies:

IMG_9098.jpg

Melody

MySillyKids,

Do you mind if I ask what size clothes your 4 yr old wears? Is he in 5T pants? That'll give me an idea if the Baby Jogger is a better choice. I don't think they'll bridge the gap to 13 lbs soon, so the extra 10 lbs is really a small issue. Thanks!

MySillyKids

yes, BOTH boys are in size 5 (NO T!!)

When they get home, i'll take an update pic (these are almost a year old, when i got the stroller)

the stroller with all the kids.. the 2.. two year olds are on the right, the 4.5 year olds LOVE the stroller!

Melody

Hrm.. Decisions, decisions. I need to call their pediatrician in the morning, but insurance has already said it will be covered as long as we have a prescription for it. And I see no reason..

I do like that my hands aren't in those weird fixed positions. Both seem to fit well in doorways.

Anyone else have any comments to add to either? Having a tough time with this decision, lol.

PEIMommyof2

I just rented a baby jogger city mini double. My DD just turned 5 and is just over 44" tall. She even had naps in the stroller (we were at Disney :D) I really loved the stroller, no issues with pushing it, fitting through doorways or the kids complaining. The kids are actually a bit separated in this stroller which may be nice for you too!!! The canopies are awesome and it folds super easy!! The front wheels are under the stroller so that shouldn't be a problem for the kids trying to touch the wheels with their feet. HTH

lovinwaves

Anyone else have any comments to add to either? Having a tough time with this decision, lol.

Yeah. You won't regret getting the BJCMD :D

Here are some pictures of mine as well...

The stroller in the middle is similar to a Maclaren build. That will give you an idea of what a double Maclaren might look like against a BJCMD (Note: ignore the handlebar height on the black stroller, as it is not true to a Maclaren)
DSC01793.jpg

Also notice the wheel size. You are going to get a much bigger wheel on the BJ. This stroller will push fine in some snow, and some offroad.
DSC01797.jpg

4 1/2 year old, and 3 year old.
DSC01692.jpg

Melody

That solidifies it. Namely the wheel size.. I know from experience the size of the wheel determines how easy it is to maneuvers with two big kiddies. Thanks everyone for your help! Definitely going to go for the Baby Jogger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC