CPST Course in my Area

Naomi's-Momma

I can't believe it!. In May there will be CPST Training Course in a town about a hour from me. I'm going to take it, if I can get off work. it's from the 19th to the 21st of May.

Anyone have any tips for me? Like what should I wear? Should I bring any of my seats?

If I do get to go. I'm going to start volunteering more at the unplanned pregnancy center in town. I already do some but it will be great to help the mothers with carseats. I do some now but having a card saying that I'm certified will help. I thank.

I'm so happy!

ADS

Murphy's Law

You should wear whatever you are comfortable in (I would avoid stains or rips for appearance, but I try to do that anyway). I wore jeans my whole class and everyone else did too.

I found it helpful to have several different seats in my car because you will do a lot of hands on stuff and it gave people in the class a look at several different kinds of seats to play with and experience with installing. The only thing is that they will get played with so much, just be sure to put the straps back at the appropriate slots for your kids settings and make sure they are properly installed at the end of each day. They did have me uninstall my Regent and take it into the class so they could talk a bit about it and let people play inside the classroom with it too. I didn't mind.

Have a good time!

NVMBR02

How exciting! I am taking the course next month. I have heard to wear comfortable clothing, something to tie your hair back if needed and have a clean car because some of the classes practice in everyone's cars. I am leaving my seats I have installed already in the car and I am planning on asking if I should bring in some spare seats on my first day.

Naomi's-Momma

Thanks! I'm most comfortable in jeans but I might wear yoga pants or something like that. and My car stays really dirty, I should start cleaning now:).

mish

Whatever pants and shirt you wear, keep in mind that you will be bending over a lot. In front of people! Unless you want everyone to see what kind of bra/underwear you wear, or the lack thereof, dress appropriately! Also, bring sunscreen. You will be outside a lot.

Naomi's-Momma

I'll make sure I wear pretty undies just to be safe;). Maybe I will wear jeans, I don't know! I have a lot of time to thank.

I'm so excited!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Don't wear flip-flops, clogs, or any other shoes that could fall off.

Trim your fingernails short. There's a good chance they'll get broken, and they'll definitely get dirty.

I actually disagree with bringing your own seats unless you don't care what happens to them. Some of the people in my class were...less than knowledgeable about car seats and did some weird things with the harnesses and whatnot. Nothing that couldn't be undone, but I worry about what else could happen (people being overzealous with a lockoff and breaking it, etc.). I just don't like the idea of people playing with my seats. But if you're ok with it, or if you have some spares, go ahead and take them.

And yes, please clean your car! One of the people at my class had sand all over her back seat for the whole week. Ick.

Naomi's-Momma

Okay that's kinda funny about the sand. But I always have fast food sacks in the car. I need to really clean it. Like wash the carpet and vacuum.

I'll wear sneakers and most likely yoga pants.

I don't want anything to happen to my seats. I don't know if I'll bring then or not. I didn't thank about other people touching them.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I doubt anyone would torch your carseats, yikes, lol, but touching them could potentially involve rough handling and cause an issue with your carseats. ;) I would check with your instructor(s) in advance about whether or not to bring your carseats. The instructors for my CPST class expressly did not want us to leave our own carseats installed in our vehicles, and only wanted us using the carseats provided by the the instructors to use for installation practice and evaluations in student's vehicles. I think this was to be sure our own carseats were not damaged in any way and to have them out of the way so that student vehicles could be used to practice installing the various carseats provided by the class. It also served us well to work with carseats that we weren't all already familiar with, to add to the whole learning experience and to better prepare us for dealing with different carseats in different vehicles, as one would during an actual seat check event. :twocents:

Mommy0608

I left my seats installed in my vehicle during my class. I talked to the instructors about it and they had my permission to remove them if they needed to set up practice seats in my car.

Even if you don't bring your seats, bring your car seat manuals (but put your name on them). Mine are always stored with my seats so I had them, and my EFTA manual came in handy because they had an EFTA in the class to use for practice but didn't have a manual with it, so I brought mine in for the group using the EFTA.

Mama!

Your location says the South. Would you mind pm'ing me the location of the class so I can see if it's near me? :D

Naomi's-Momma

Okay as it gets closer I'll ask the instructor about the seats.
And I'll also make sure to read everything before I post it! I can't believe I did that. But I did have a 5 year old on my lap at the time:p.

I keep my manuals in my glove box so I'll have them if there needed.

C(5 year old) is not happy about this. He wants to go with me:(.

My sister seems to thank I'll get arrested. She thanks I'll get in fight with a cop. If any are there. Just because I tell people when they are doing something wrong. Like our other sister, Who likes to take 6 kids at a time in her little coupe. The cops around here don't care. I've called many times and I'm always told "there's nothing they can do".

But anyway. Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC