Question Best Harnessed seat to buy PLEASE

djh

My friend was in a car accident (everyone is fine) and will be getting two new car seats for her boys. I recommended the Sunshine Kids Monterrey (I love this booster) for her almost 7 year old, but am not sure about which seat to suggest she get for her 3 1/2 year old. I know there are a lot of good seats, but if you were getting a seat now and insurance was paying for it...which would you get? The only ones I had to suggest were the Marathon (which I have, my kid loves and I find really easy to install correctly) or Radian 65/80. I told her I'd post the question here as you have such great information. I am hoping to see some sort of consensus that will make the choice easy. Her car is a 3 row Lexus SUV, so I don't think any of the seats would be a problem in terms of installation/fit.
Thank you for your recommendations.

ADS

djh

No, but he's fairly average size for his age. Something that will last to a higher height limit would probably be best. I don't think she wants to go as big as a Regent (should have mentioned in original post). She is a bit overloaded at the moment and is not going to size him in different seats or shop around. She is just going to order the seat I recommend as she needs to get the seats now. I know that there is no "best" car seat, but there must be a couple that stand out for length of use, safety, comfort, etc... if you could buy any seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
For a 3 year old who is forward-facing, I would recommend the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier. The Radian is also an option, but it's half-wasted if it will never be used RF or in a "tight-fit" situation.

djh

So is the Radian more for "tight fit" or rear facing, but not the best if just being used forward facing? What about the Marathon? Are there any other really good seats? She doesn't care about having a seat that will convert to a booster, just wants the best harnessed seat for comfort, safety.

Defrost

Oh, the Radian is a great FF seat, it's just silly to pay that kind of money for something when you're only going to use half the features, yk? Might as well spend it on something like the Nautilus or Frontier which will last longer (both convert to boosters.)

The comfort question is up in the air. What one kid considers comfy could be another kid's nightmare. What was he riding in before?

Maedze

The Radian is fine for a forward facing seat, it's just a LOT of money for a seat that will not last as long as other seats.

The Nautilus is cheaper than the Marathon and will last as a harnessed seat several years longer. It's an excellent HWH seat and would be my number one recommendation

djh

What if money isn't a concern? I believe the insurance company is payiing for the seat. Not sure what seat she had before.

Defrost

The Nautilus would still be my recommendation.

Yep, same here. I actually prefer the Nautilus over the Frontier, but there are plenty of people who hate the Nautilus, too. That's why I asked which carseat your friend's son was in before the crash.

One complaint about the Nautilus is that it "feels flimsy," which it would if you're used to Britax seats, but I feel it's sturdy enough for my comfort. Another complaint is that the crotch area is too snug for some children, or there's not enough shoulder room. These aren't huge issues, even if we're just considering comfort - there are plenty of kids who find them perfectly comfortable.

But if you're asking us which is the most comfortable carseat in the world? Chocolate. ;)

MySillyKids

What if money isn't a concern? I believe the insurance company is payiing for the seat. Not sure what seat she had before.

Money should absolutely be a concern, when insurance is involved, its not fair to make them pay for a $400 seat, when she didn't have one before. :twocents:

I recommend the Nautilus also FWIW.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC