forward facing harnessed seat/New Zealand

henrietta

I've got a friend in New Zealand who wants to keep her dd harnessed. She is outgrowing her Britax convertible seat and needs a ff'ing harnessed seat (preferably one that turns into a booster). She is having a hard time finding a seat like the Graco Nautilus. What's available in New Zealand? Can she import a seat? Can she use an imported seat?

Thanks!

henrietta

ADS

finn

Has he dd outgrown it by weight or height? If she has outgrown it by height then there are a few options such as

http://www.wobble.co.nz/catalog/product/997-safe-sound-maxi-rider.html which turns into a booster but is expensive

or this

http://www.babyuniverse.co.nz/site/...ame=Phil_and_Teds_Tott_XT/affiliate_number=80

if she has outgrown it by weight then the options are very limited, pretty much all seats harness to 18kg/40lbs over here.

She can import a seat, I just imported 2 :) They are technically legal here in that they comply with our standards they just dont have our transport safety ticks/stickers. Also if customs catch the seat coming in they will add 23% tax/duty onto the purchase price. Luckily they didn't catch either of mine.

hope this helps :)

Jessie78

I'd go for the top one if I was her - the MaxiRider II or AHR. For another $NZ80 you can get an additional harness (once you have reached the limit for the internal harness at 18kg/40lb), which threads through the top slots and takes them to 26kg/57lb. After that, it's only a half booster and child harness till 32kg/70lb, then that's the limit of what we have unfortunately :eek:

ETA apart from importing other seats of course!

Adventuredad

One quite popular seat with foreigners is the Swedish Britax Two-Way which is ECE R44 approved and legal to use in New Zealand.

It's a great combo seat which allows rear facing to 55 lbs (25 kg), forward facing with harness to 55 lbs, and forward facing as a high back booster with seat belt until 55 lbs.

Depends on how old and tall dd is. Please let me know if you need more info

delgirrrl

There is a (slightly!) higher weight harnessed FF seat available in NZ, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, which harnesses to 22kg.

http://www.winkalotts.co.nz/Car_Seats/3801818/Evenflo_Triumph_Advance_LX_Convertible_Car_Seat[2].html

Although the US standard is accepted in NZ, it is not actually legal to use an american seat you have imported yourself, as it must have the NZ "S" sticker on it as well to be used legally here. That said, many of us have imported anyway:p. If ever needed, there is a legal defence available, but I seriously doubt it will be an issue. If your child is well restrained, you're unlikely to get any enforcement attention.

(Seats directly imported from Europe are allowed though). Don't ask me why, that I can't tell you!!

henrietta

Thank you all!

I'm pretty sure her dd outgrew her seat by height but I'll have to check. My friend is very cautious about car safety, so I know she wouldn't use a seat over the weight limit. She found a Britax seat that converts to a booster (they had a Britax convertible). She was pleased b/c it had much taller top slots than her current seat, but disappointed b/c it only goes to 18 kg harnessed (apparently like most seats there).

I'm going to pass this info on to her as well. She said she'd cross the next bridge when they get to it--which will be what to do when her dd reaches the 18 kgs weight limit for the harness. She is pretty sure she'll want to keep her harnessed past that.

Thank you so much!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC