Walmart's car seats

christineka

I browsed by the car seats at walmart today. Both 3 in 1s are now the new, harness to 50 pounds type. They have the nautilus inbetween them. (Graco should quit marketing it as a 3 in 1 because it is confusing.) The nautilus is $180, the Safety First $150, and the other one is $170. If I was going to buy a hwh seat at walmart, I would probably buy the safety first. (I plan to not use the nautilus in booster mode, so wouldn't use the safety first either. Also, my kids are short. My 6 year old only has a 15 inch torso and weighs 45 pounds.)

Anyway, I like the nautilus better. Just the prices would make me go for the cheaper one. Good thing I'm not in the market for a new seat right now. Next time I'll have to bring my tape measure to see which seat is thinner.

ADS

MoreLatte

I live in a little po-dunk town in Appalachia where you're lucky to see kids in a carseat period, let alone older kids harnessed:rolleyes: Our Walmart has mostly Cosco seats but last fall, they started carrying the Nautilus.

I go through the carseat aisle every week just to see what they have. They do have a Safety First, I'll have to check the harness weight on it next time I go in. I imagine its an old one.

The Nautilus used to be $159. Well, a few weeks ago, the price went up to $180 and they are the same three boxes that have been there since the beginning, with DOMs 4/08. I don't get it:confused: 'Hey, since no one is buying these seats that are almost a year old, how about we jack the price up!' I seriously don't think they'll ever sell those here. I think my 5yo is probably the only kid in town still in a carseat, let alone harnessed!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Nautilus used to be $159. Well, a few weeks ago, the price went up to $180 and they are the same three boxes that have been there since the beginning, with DOMs 4/08. I don't get it:confused: 'Hey, since no one is buying these seats that are almost a year old, how about we jack the price up!' I seriously don't think they'll ever sell those here. I think my 5yo is probably the only kid in town still in a carseat, let alone harnessed!

Graco announced that there would be a price increase on the Nautilus at the end of last summer, so I think this is just that price increase showing up at stores now. Maybe all the stores raised prices with corporate having purchased stock at the new cost, and yours just happens to still have old seats left in stock still? :(

Look on the bright side, it's not $215 which is the wal-mart price here, with Sears and BRU selling for $239. ;) :p

MoreLatte

Look on the bright side, it's not $215 which is the wal-mart price here, with Sears and BRU selling for $239. ;) :p[/QUOTE]

Seriously?! Wow!

Well, my new Nautilus came today:love: So I'm not in the market for one but really, they will never sell those here at that price. I wonder if they'll eventually mark them down, or send them to another store where there's a market for them? Who knows, maybe I'll be able to get an awesome deal on one if they mark them down.

zeo2ski

You're lucky, my walmart has cosco harnessed boosters, 3 in 1s, a buttload of graco HBB and NBBs, 5 different snugride patterns (2 on a stroller) and one comfortsport and a scenera. You can guess the typical usage around here...

Qarin

Look on the bright side, it's not $215 which is the wal-mart price here, with Sears and BRU selling for $239. ;) :p

That's not fair to not convert the currency! $215CDN is like, USD$173, and $239CDN is USD$192, so they're not that far off.

MoreLatte

That's not fair to not convert the currency! $215CDN is like, USD$173, and $239CDN is USD$192, so they're not that far off.

You know, I thought about that, but then figured it must have been converted already. Yeah, pretty much the same.

ed_tricia

Walmart sells the same nautilus online for like $30 less than in store, with free site to store shipping or 97 cent shipping to a house. Just in case anyone that's not buying it changes their mind. :) It drives me nuts they will price match competitors, but not themself.

christineka

I've often thought we ought to have a thread on the seats offered at our local walmarts. Mine has a slim selection, although with the new display, they managed to get some more chases it. So, what does your walmart sell?

Mine sells:
Evenflo Discovery, Graco Snugride
Cosco Scenera (2 covers), Safety First 3 in 1 (50 pound), Alpha whatever 3 in 1 (50 pound), ETA
Cosco Hbb (3 different cover choices), Evenflo Chase, Graco Nautilus
Cosco Pronto, Evenflo booster (2 covers), Graco hbb (2 covers)
Graco backless (2 covers) Cosco Backless

Oh and walmart.com is not the same as Walmart stores. They don't pricematch online- only local stores. (Within a certain radius.)

Pixels

I seriously doubt that any of the Powers That Be at Walmart know (or care) that carseats expire, and therefore, like food, have a shelf life and stock should be rotated.

Walmart sells the same nautilus online for like $30 less than in store, with free site to store shipping or 97 cent shipping to a house. Just in case anyone that's not buying it changes their mind. :) It drives me nuts they will price match competitors, but not themself.
The reason they don't match "themselves" is because they aren't the same company. Walmart B&M stores are one company, and Walmart.com is another company. Walmart trucking is another. They've split off every separate thing that they can. It helps protect them from massive lawsuits. Not as in preventing them, but if they had to make a massive payout, it's only one fraction of the overall Walmart empire that is affected.

They don't consider WM.com to be a competitor, because they've defined competitors as B&Ms. Stupid, but true. The weird thing about it is, it ends up costing Walmart Empire more overall. If they have an item in stock for a higher price than WM.com, and you order it site-to-store, they will still ship (separately, mind you, from regular store stock) the item to your store for you to pick up.

Simplysomething

Our walmart, which has had the odd Nautilus since they remolded, now has a pallet of them, and they are marked at 159. They are right beside the EFTA, which is marked at 129.

It's very nifty to finally have HWH seats at the walmart near my house. :)

Our Walmart remodeled in the fall of 2008, the baby section has expanded a bit, but I admit, I'm a bad c-s.org poster (or maybe it's because I don't visit upstairs as much anymore), but I don't regularly see what sees they have and haven't got. I HAVE purposely gone searching for the Nautilus and the EFTA, because there is a chance that I'd buy one of those seats. Right now, we're fine with the seats we have (a TB for my 8.5 year old and the FPSVD for my omgisgoingtobe4nextmonth year old)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC