what is safer for baby? infant carrier or RF'ing child restraint?

Karine88

Hello again,

I apologize for having yet another question, but I value your opinions and expertise so much, I have to ask!

I am wondering if there is a "safer" seat for babies/infants... Is a baby safer is a traditional bucket seat (infant carrier) or in a rear-facing child restraint?

I am driving myself crazy over my dd's new seat. We bought her a MA, installed it, got a good install and I do like it. BUT, as I said in another thread, our MA is 30lbs RF'ing limit and I think I would rather return it and wait to buy one of the newer seats with a 35lbs RF'ing limit... I have both a Snugride (DOM 2004) and a Safeseat (DOM 2008), so I could technically use those for quite a bit longer... which might give us more time for more seat options with 35 RF limit...

My daughter is almost 10 months-old, weighs only 16 lbs and I'm not sure of her height, but I do know she's in the 5th to 10th percentile for weight and height. How long can she stay in the infant carrier? And is she better off in her MA, safety wise, or in the carrier? What about side impact protection?

I know that the Safeseat has a 30lbs limit and the Snugride 22lbs... but in terms of age, how long will she typically fit in both?

WWYD?

ADS

NewfieMoma

I personally just went out and bought a safeseat for my 4 month old... she was in a Scentera and was FINE in it... but I decided that she would be easier for her in the carrier and just wait to get a seat that has a 35lbs limit... I put my friends 15 month old in the safe seat and she was still fitting comfortabley and she is in the 20th percentilein both weight and height...
I hope someone with a bit more experence can help ya out :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You can count on getting at least 6 more months use out of the SS1 than the Snugride, so if your dd still fits her snugride with room to grow (has to have at least 1" of hard shell above her head,) then it's possible she'll make it to 2yrs old in the SS1.

As for which is safer, without being able to compare crash test results it's impossible to say. The crash dynamics in an infant seat are the same as in a convertible seat. Proper installation of whatever seat is in use, and the seat fitting the child properly as well as being used properly every trip is what is most important.

If she's comfortable in the carrier, still fits it, it installs well in your vehicle, and you're using it properly every time, there's no reason to take her out of it. There's no reason based on what we know, to believe that one type of seat performs better in a collision than the other when all other things are equal.

Karine88

thank you thank you!!
I will keep her in the carrier for now then.. just makes more sense to wait for the Radian XT or other new seat with 35 lbs RF...

I've also just noticed this morning, that since she is so small/short, the lowest harness slot on the MA is probably not fitting her well yet... so it's probably safer to have her in the carrier... she still fits and has tons of room to grow in the SS1, and still a little in the Snugride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC