Will my 2 year old make it to 4 & 40 harnessed?

Brycen'sMommy

My 2 year old is a giant and I'm starting to have anxiety wondering if he will actually make it to 4 & 40 harnessed.

He is 2 1/2 years old, 42 inches, 34 lbs and has a 16.5" torso.

His main seat is a Nautilus. He is almost even with the second to top slots so will be moving to the top slots very soon. I'd say he will move up probably within the next month and definitely before his third birthday in July. He just outgrew the FPSVD in DH's car.

So is 1.5-2 inches of torso growth in the Nautilus enough for him to make it another year and a half to a bare minimum of his fourth birthday? I would really prefer five but even four seems to be cutting it close.

ADS

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
My extremely long torsoed dd outgrew her Nautilus harness at 48.5" tall and 7y3m.

I would suspect that your ds will slow down on his growth fairly soon and you should be able to make it longer than you expect w/ the harness. :thumbsup:

Pixels

A 31-month old with that wt will reach 40 pounds at 3y6mo.
A 31-month old with that height will grow 3 inches overall (which roughly equals 1.5 inches torso growth) by 3y3mo. 4 inches of overall growth (roughly 2 inches torso growth) by 3.5 years.

So no matter what, it looks like he won't make it to 4 years harnessed in the Nautilus, unless he drastically changes his growth pattern.

ginny4

he is ONE VERY TALL 2.5yo!!! do you need a 2nd seat now or anything? would a regent be something you'd consider? it should harness a bit longer.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
A 31-month old with that height will grow 3 inches overall (which roughly equals 1.5 inches torso growth) by 3y3mo. 4 inches of overall growth (roughly 2 inches torso growth) by 3.5 years.

So no matter what, it looks like he won't make it to 4 years harnessed in the Nautilus, unless he drastically changes his growth pattern.

His torso could be a little slower than that because average is 1" torso for every 2 to 3" of overall height. 2" assumes the 1" for every 2" overall height. ;)

Still, unless his legs sprout he won't last a long long time in it. But I know that others here have had tall kids who go a year without gaining any height in the torso when the kiddo's legs all the sudden sprout. Come to think of it, my dd gained almost no torso height for a year despite gaining 3.5" overall height. Though she then proceeded to gain almost an inch torso height in the few months following. :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper's torso stopped at 4.5 and has grown a half inch in the two years since. So it's definitely possible that his torso growth will stall out. However, I'd start looking at Regents. Sounds like he's going to need it.

Wendy

Brycen'sMommy

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have been using the CDC growth chart to predict his height and weight based on his growth curve and that is about what I come up with too.

Honestly, I don't expect his growth to slow down and for him to suddenly become an average sized child, as much as I would like. DH is 6' 8" and he is on track to be as tall or taller than him.

I guess I should just start considering the Regent, as much as I don't want to. Because, even if he does make it to 4 he probably won't make it to 5 in the Nautilus.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Even if his growth doesn't slow his torso may. Piper's all but stopped, but she's grown probably five inches while her torso has gone a half inch. So it's possible. Where's your husband's height? In his legs or torso? If he's got a long torso then you've got a lot fewer options. :)

Wendy

Brycen'sMommy

My DH's torso and legs are about even. DS is the same way. Both their torsos and legs are just super long.

It's so hard trying to predict his growth. We need a new seat for DH's car so I'm trying to decide between getting another Nautilus or a Regent. If I buy another Nautilus then of course he will outgrown them before he's 4 but if I buy a Regent then he will stop growing completely and make it to 10 in the Nautilus.:ROTFLMAO: I will probably end up going with the Regent because that will save us the most money in the long run.

skaterbabs

My 5 yo was the same size at 2 1/2 as your son. She still has a good deal of room on a Nautilus at 5 years, 4 mos, 48 lbs and 43" tall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC