Is there such a thing as an adjustable-depth booster? ...

... and if not, do you think it's feasible (e.g., like having the width-adjustment of a FPSV or Starriser booster going front-to-back instead of side-to-side)?
This morning when my girls were buckling up in their Parkways for school, I noticed that (thanks to DH's long-leg genes) Lydia looks like she could use a deeper booster and it started me thinking that maybe my "if I could make one little change in a seat to make it perfect" would be for the Parkway to have an expandable depth setting. The height and width still fit perfectly and she's still got a ways to go before she maxes out the height setting. She hasn't complained about the seat being uncomfortable but I'm bummed that her legs aren't supported so well anymore and it's only going to get worse as she grows (DH is 6'2" and mostly leg - 34" inseam)
and as much as I'd love this to be an excuse to go shopping for another booster (or two), it's not going to happen in this economy for a single-income family in a place with an outrageously high cost of living :(

ADS

scatterbunny

Unfortunately the only booster to have a depth adjustment is the pricey Recaro Start. :( The Graco AirBooster is quite deep, though it doesn't adjust as tall as the Parkway, and of course it doesn't have the great, super-deep wings.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Elaine, the AirBooster is great! DS has a Parkway, and AirBooster and a FPSV booster. He doesn't ride in a booster very often, but when he does he always prefers the AirBooster. The Parkway doesn't give him nearly enough leg support, but the AirBooster is nice and deep. I think it would fit your girls well. :thumbsup:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Evenflo Confidence is depth adjustable. Plus it has no armrests and tapers toward the back, making it great for wide behinds and 3 in a row.

*there are little ledges that the seatbelt MUST go under or the lap portion of the seat belt rides up too high. It takes a bit of practice to get in the habit of making sure the belt gets "tucked in" a you buckle*

mommyto4

Ummmm, how tall is the Evenflo Confidence??? Sounds like what I need for DS.

*off to google "Evenflo Confidence".*

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My kids just need a small light plastic footstool...there comes a point when they are wearing size ten pants that no booster is deep enough to support all that weight of the legs comfortably (in 12's, their feet just reach the floor, lol, but the 8-10 age is our footstool age, lol).

The Parkway is definitely one of the most shallow and least comfortable, though, the Air or Monarch or Monterey are all a lot deeper (or Start, which Babyuniverse had for $174 last week, not sure if it's still on, but it does only have an 80lb weight limit).

sigh... so why aren't there *more* adjustable depth boosters? I mean, we've got the adjustable-height headrests to accommodate the torso growth, did the booster designers forget that legs grow too? And when I tell other parents in my multiples club or on bulletin boards that a seat like the Nautilus or Frontier should last their child until they're ready to use just the seatbelt, do I need to add an asterisk "*unless they're long-legged like my kids"?
Sorry I'm starting to get into rant mode - I really hoped we were done with purchasing seats (from a budget standpoint, that is - my inner carseat geek would love to take DD's out booster-shopping ;)), esp. since we're feeling the pinch of our state's budget issues (DH works for a state agency and will have to take the two unpaid furlough days per month, and yesterday our school's parents club meeting was devoted to discussing the impact of state cuts on our school district budget - they're projecting needing a possible $1.5 million budget cuts for the 4 elementary and 1 middle school, and this is a district where parent and community donations to the city and school educational funds already pay for all the library, art, music, and computer programs plus most of the instructional aides)
Plus, I'd hate to give up the Parkways b/c DD's really like the head wings and Deborah loves the way the shell wraps around her torso esp. if she falls asleep in the car (if she falls asleep in the FPSV booster, her torso slides too much and wakes her up) :(. If I didn't have "No after-marked add-ons" engraved in my brain, I'd seriously think of duct-taping a section of pool noodle to the front of Lydia's Parkway to give her a little more leg support. Deborah still seems to fit hers fine for now (she's about 1.5" shorter than Lydia and it's all in the legs)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
sigh... so why aren't there *more* adjustable depth boosters? I mean, we've got the adjustable-height headrests to accommodate the torso growth, did the booster designers forget that legs grow too? And when I tell other parents in my multiples club or on bulletin boards that a seat like the Nautilus or Frontier should last their child until they're ready to use just the seatbelt, do I need to add an asterisk "*unless they're long-legged like my kids"?
Sorry I'm starting to get into rant mode - I really hoped we were done with purchasing seats (from a budget standpoint, that is - my inner carseat geek would love to take DD's out booster-shopping ;)), esp. since we're feeling the pinch of our state's budget issues (DH works for a state agency and will have to take the two unpaid furlough days per month, and yesterday our school's parents club meeting was devoted to discussing the impact of state cuts on our school district budget - they're projecting needing a possible $1.5 million budget cuts for the 4 elementary and 1 middle school, and this is a district where parent and community donations to the city and school educational funds already pay for all the library, art, music, and computer programs plus most of the instructional aides)
Plus, I'd hate to give up the Parkways b/c DD's really like the head wings and Deborah loves the way the shell wraps around her torso esp. if she falls asleep in the car (if she falls asleep in the FPSV booster, her torso slides too much and wakes her up) :(. If I didn't have "No after-marked add-ons" engraved in my brain, I'd seriously think of duct-taping a section of pool noodle to the front of Lydia's Parkway to give her a little more leg support. Deborah still seems to fit hers fine for now (she's about 1.5" shorter than Lydia and it's all in the legs)

I just noticed you are in my neck of the woods. LMK if you want to try out the Confidence (or the Frontier, or the Monterey).

Tyler'sMom1117

We have a Evenflo Confidence and it does have depth adjustment. There are things I love about the seat and things I don't.

Pros:
I love the foam that lines the entire seat.
It is comfy
I like all of the different kind of adjustments. Depth adjustment and you can adjust the back at the bottom, the neck, or both.
No armrests to get in the way.
Decent side wings that hold my sons head up if he falls asleep. (This is the seat we use when there is the possibility that he could fall asleep)

Cons:
The seat belt rides a bit higher on the things, but it is still below my sons hip bones.
Not as easy to buckle into as our Clek Olli.
Doesn't adjust very tall. I have never measured it but we don't have very much room in it as a HBB.
It has a removeable back.

I have seen the Graco Air clearanced really cheap at some stores.

Kat_Momof3

yeah, it's a nice booster (the only evenflo hbb I like), but it only goes as tall as the turbobooster/other evenflo boosters.

I'd try the confidence

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My daughter had less leg support in the Confidence at it's deepest setting than she did in the Graco Airbooster :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC