Opinions and questions about Recaro como and Vivo.

menfusse

I want to get new seats. I really like the looks for the Como and they price on them now is great. What is every ones opinions on them? Emily is still RF, will be for awhile it seems. Dh wants to get her a nautilus, but she's so small still and even though she's 3, I still say at 25 lbs she should rear face. What do you guys think?

I also need a high back booster for Abby. She's very tall. Too tall for her Regent now (so I'm trying to sell, it will be a long time before Emily could use a Regent), but needs a booster. We have a backless now that worked great in our van, but now it doesn't fit right in our Jeep Commander (hate those flippin' head rests btw). It's like she's too tall for that booster as the shoulder belt is off her shoulder, but she is no way close to passing the 5 step test without. So, I was thinking of the Vivo, again because of the sale price. Does it work for a tall kid? Is it comfy? Price is a huge factor right now, and though I know the marathons are on sale, I wanted to try something different for Emily and the price for the Vivo's right now is great in my opinion for a booster.

So, do tell. I'm also open to other suggestions as well, so feel free to pass them along. My whole budget is $250-the more under that the better.

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

Is your dd2 not comfortable in her scenera? You could just wait till she outgrew the scenera rf and then buy her the nautilus and I would suggest the monterey for your dd1.
The como is nice but it will offer less leg room rf than your scenera, but ff the como will be a very nice seat, especially for a petite child :thumbsup:

menfusse

Is your dd2 not comfortable in her scenera? You could just wait till she outgrew the scenera rf and then buy her the nautilus and I would suggest the monterey for your dd1.
The como is nice but it will offer less leg room rf than your scenera, but ff the como will be a very nice seat, especially for a petite child :thumbsup:
She's uncomfy yes, but I am as well. I prefer something with impact foam since she is outboard and no side airbags in one car we use often and the scenera is such a nightmare to install RF, and I'm never really happy with it. It's acceptable by general guidelines, but not by mine, lol. We have to travel frequently for several hours each way, and Emily always complains since being moved to the Scenera. We had a decathlon, but it met it's demise plummeting down a 50 foot embankment. Long and very sad story. Anyway, we were in a pinch and had to have a seat. I opted for the scenera because that was the only thing I could get locally that was good RF and I could later use as a spare. Emily does complain though that she doesn't like the seat when we go on long trips. Not sure what it is, other than maybe lack of padding. I've been in the market for a new booster as well, with impact foam. The price on the Vivo is tempting, and I thought I'd give the Como a try for the little one. I don't think leg room would be an issue, as she's never complained before? She just props them or sits criss cross style. Would she not be able to do that in the Como?

firemomof3

I forgot to address the issue with the Commanders headrests, we have had several complaints about those! I am not sure what type of installations issues that will cause with a ff car seat or booster so hopefully a tech. will chime in :)
As for the como, my 3y/o is still rf and she also would put her feet up against the back of the vehicle seat or sit indian style. If you want a more comfortable seat and impact foam the Como/Signo will be great. Its especially great for small kids (think I already mentioned that ;)) So, yes I think the como will be a good choice :thumbsup:

menfusse

I forgot to address the issue with the Commanders headrests, we have had several complaints about those! I am not sure what type of installations issues that will cause with a ff car seat or booster so hopefully a tech. will chime in :)
As for the como, my 3y/o is still rf and she also would put her feet up against the back of the vehicle seat or sit indian style. If you want a more comfortable seat and impact foam the Como/Signo will be great. Its especially great for small kids (think I already mentioned that ;)) So, yes I think the como will be a good choice :thumbsup:
Thanks! The commander headrests are annoying. I read though, that it was safe to recline the seat back some for better installation. I've not had a high back booster in it, so I'll have to get confirmation that it is in fact ok to recline them back some. The seats don't recline much as it is, so we'll see. I may have to post a seperate thread about that.

firemomof3

I took some pictures this morning of my petite 3y/o in her brother's recaro signo for you. Her primary seat now is the safety first avenue until she is ff then she will go into her pink signo that is waiting for her in the living room;
signomackenzie113.jpg

signomackenzie114.jpg

Here she is the avenue, you can see how it sits lower than the signo and is more comfortable leg room wise:
avenue010.jpg

avenue009.jpg

menfusse

Thank you! I actually tried the uptown and really had trouble with the install, even with the noodle, more so than the Scenera. How is the Como to install? Also, what about touching the front seat? Is tha allowed? Is it a touch only or can it be braced against it?

firemomof3

I also had the uptown and really liked it but sold it to get the signo (I don't keep car seats very long :eek:) It takes some practice to install with a noodle, it took me a while ;)
Assuming the como is the same to install as the signo, its easy (in my experience anyway). The signo takes up very little space, front to back, so the driver & passenger seats can be all the way back in my kia sedona.
The como is allowed to touch the front seats, yes. BUT some vehicles don't allow you to do this because they have the new age airbags which are sensitive to this, so check your owners manual :)

menfusse

I'm trying to sell my Regent to get the como and a new booster, so I know what you mean about selling to offset the new seat dejour, lol. I'll have to check into my car's deal about the seat touching. I had a chrysler T&C which had the new age airbags, sensitive to weight, but never said you couldn't touch a car seat to it. We have the commander now, and i dno't even know if it has that kind of airbags.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC