I'm not even pregnant and I want a new travel system...

mimieliza

We're thinking about baby #2, and most likely I'll be a good girl and re-use DD's travel system. We had a navy blue SS1 and a navy Peg Perego P3 that I bought used on CL.

The carseat has been borrowed by my aunt for the past year. If it is not in great condition when I get it back, DH may agree that we need a new travel system. The P3 has definitely seen better days, as well.

I am not normally swayed by patterns, and tend to go for practicality first, but OMG, infant seats have gotten soooooo much cuter since DD was born! So it's fun to plan ahead. :)

So, I am obsessed with this set:

albee-baby_2037_366228981

albee-baby_2036_167595848

But it is a Snugride. That would be dumb, right? I know I love the SS1, the Snugride base would probably just irritate me. But I'm smart, I could probably figure it out and get used to it, right? :)

I also really like this one:

albee-baby_2041_207811730

albee-baby_2041_145411130

And of course this Chicco is TDF if I were to have another girl:
yhst-65063285432623_2036_52578264

And I really love this one, too:
yhst-65063285432623_2036_53195763

ADS

zeo2ski

Hehehe...ah I hear ya.

Of course you know if you lent it out you don't *reeeaaally* know it's "history" now, right, so you probably need to get a new seat for baby #2 and the stroller's gotta match.
but really I'd wait til baby's actually on the way!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I would personally stick with a SS1 (Snugride32). I LOVE mine! My dd is almost 2 and technically still fits in it (she's right at that 1" of shell). The Chicco is a great seat (my sis-in-law has one) but the height is still only 29" (I think) so you get almost as long in a Snugride (especially if your kids stay under 22 pounds for a while). I also (in helping my sis-in-law) found the Chicco base quite difficult to install (unless you have LATCH). You may want to think about the double stroller (depending on your older dd's age at the time) that you can also use with your infant seat. I LOVE my DuoGlider (and would love to get the newer Quattro version). I love that I can hook my SS1 into either the front (where my older kids can watch the baby) or the back so the older one can climb in & out if they want. There's my opinion, for what it's worth.

mimieliza

Hehehe...ah I hear ya.

Of course you know if you lent it out you don't *reeeaaally* know it's "history" now, right, so you probably need to get a new seat for baby #2 and the stroller's gotta match.
but really I'd wait til baby's actually on the way!

That's what I mean! I mean, what if she washes the straps?

And of course I'll until there is a baby on the way. :) It will be our last baby, so if we do get a new travel system, I can pick one that isn't gender neutral once we know whether we're having a boy or girl. I stuck with all gender neutral stuff for DD for practicality (well, except the Shannon Boulevard). :)

I would personally stick with a SS1 (Snugride32). I LOVE mine! My dd is almost 2 and technically still fits in it (she's right at that 1" of shell). The Chicco is a great seat (my sis-in-law has one) but the height is still only 29" (I think) so you get almost as long in a Snugride (especially if your kids stay under 22 pounds for a while). I also (in helping my sis-in-law) found the Chicco base quite difficult to install (unless you have LATCH). You may want to think about the double stroller (depending on your older dd's age at the time) that you can also use with your infant seat. I LOVE my DuoGlider (and would love to get the newer Quattro version). I love that I can hook my SS1 into either the front (where my older kids can watch the baby) or the back so the older one can climb in & out if they want. There's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Interesting about the Chicco - I don't have LATCH, which is why I loved the SS1 so much. I'm not sure about a double stroller. DD will be at least 3, probably closer to 3.5 or 4 by the time a new one comes along, so I was thinking maybe I could get by without a double. If I want to have DD contained, I can put her in the single stroller and sling the newborn.

If I was going to go for a double, I would probably get a sit and stand type stroller, or if I really could splurge, the Phil and Ted with the doubles kit. I would have to sell my BOB Revolution to do that.

I wish Graco would come out with some more exciting patterns in the Snugride 32/Metrolite combination. They have some time, though, since I'm not even knocked up yet. :)

flutie128

My son is 4.5 currently and was almost 4 when my daughter was born. I did not feel the need for a double stroller or a sit and stand. There has been some problems with him not wanting to walk. I usually just put the baby in my ergo or maybe him depending on my mood. The only problem I found with not having a stroller for him was when the baby was in the carrier and woke he would want to ride in the stroller. Then I would have to do something with the carrier.

glockchick

I have the Chicco and found it very easy to install with both latch and the seat belt. It's seat belted into my truck. I've used latch in my parents' vehicles. Must just be different vehicles. :dunno:

mish

I also think the chicco is easy to install with the seatbelt. Plus it has lockoffs, just like the SS1 (well, not the same as the SS1).

jamesoja

my wife is pregnant, not trying to hijack

sorry, but we are having a tough time of trying to figure where the "value" really is between SS1/Snugride32 vs Chicco KeyFit30. Do those 3 inches really make a difference? One of our vehicles have LATCH and one does not. When it comes to patterns and base colors the KeyFit30 wins with my wife. I am more concerned about safety and sun canopy which neither I am impressed with for sun protection.

So please go back to fantasizing about your "future" infant carrier and please help me on ours as our baby is due mid-april.

I hear so many wonderful things about both, and those with the Chicco or recently out grown them, do you wish you had the ability/room to stick it out to 32inches.

thanks!

mimieliza

sorry, but we are having a tough time of trying to figure where the "value" really is between SS1/Snugride32 vs Chicco KeyFit30. Do those 3 inches really make a difference? One of our vehicles have LATCH and one does not. When it comes to patterns and base colors the KeyFit30 wins with my wife. I am more concerned about safety and sun canopy which neither I am impressed with for sun protection.

So please go back to fantasizing about your "future" infant carrier and please help me on ours as our baby is due mid-april.

I hear so many wonderful things about both, and those with the Chicco or recently out grown them, do you wish you had the ability/room to stick it out to 32inches.

thanks!

Well, I had a Safeseat 1 for my first daughter (now two), which is essentially the same seat as the Snugride 32. What I loved about it was the built-in lock off in the base (important if your car does not have LATCH, or if you want to install in the safest center seating position, which usually requires that you use the seatbelt). It just made the installation so secure and easy. I also liked that the shell was deep and protective and lined in EPS foam (energy absorbing, like the foam in bicycle helmets).

I also liked the higher weight limit and shell height. My DD fit in the seat until she was nearly 18 months old. It was convenient to be able to use it for travel during that time - air travel is much easier with an infant seat rather than a large convertible seat. The shell height is the important part - my DD weighed about 21 lbs. when she outgrew the seat by height, so we didn't need the extra weight allowance.

The sun canopy on the Safeseat was great. It swivels so that you can position as needed to block the sun.

But, as you can see from my post, I am very enamored with the patterns available for the Snugride (the older, 22 lb. version). I had a Snugride for DD's first six weeks, and found it a lot more difficult to install because there is no lock-off in the base. It also had less padding than the Safeseat, and of course is outgrown much earlier.

So if I wanted to be practical, I would go for a Safeseat 1 or Snugride 32, unless I was just in love with one of the patterns on the older 22 lb. Snugride.

And to throw Chicco in the mix, I have never had one, but people tend to rave about them, I think it would be a fine choice. They also fit smaller newborns very well, so if you think your baby might be on the small side it is a good choice. I think they tend to be outgrown by height earlier than the Safeseat.

I know picking a seat is nerve wracking, but at this point, all of the seats your considering are really good seats, so you really can't go wrong.

Good luck, and I'd love to hear what you end up choosing so I can live vicariously. :)

glockchick

I have a Chicco and I love it. My son just turned a year old and still fits just fine. He has an inch or two of torso growth left. I chose it because it was smaller than the Graco. Smaller is easier to carry.

It also has the built in lock offs and adjustable base which are mandatory in my book. Another feature I really love that I didn't know about until I got it was the level indicator on the base. I'm not sure if the new Gracos have that or not, but the old ones didn't. You had to install the base and then click the seat in to see if you got it right. I like that I can adjust while installing instead of install - oh crap that's not right - try again - still not right. You get the idea. ;)

jamesoja

Thank you both for sharing the thread and your thoughts.

I am 6'1 and my wife 5'5, and at this point I dont see us having a tiny baby with what the Dr. said as April is almost here. I know they are all "guesstimates" and anything may happen at any time, so I will think we will have a "longer/larger" baby. The smaller "narrower" Chicco is nice,but does that outweigh the 3inches of additional growth room?

I know some seats i.e. Peg, do not require the base for attaching to a seat belt, in a 2nd car for temporary/travel purposes. Is this true with both SS1/SR32 and Chicco? If this is true and safe, it might be a bonus as to avoid buying a 2nd base for those very few occasions that the seat is used in a cab/friends car. It would be nice to have the option to safely secure the carrier in the car without traveling with the base at all times.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry.

jubgulia

I tried DS2 in both the KF30 and SS1 at BRU just after he turned 1. At just 19 lbs he had outgrown the KF30 by height, his head was just at/over the top of the shell. He still had about 3-4 inches left in the SS1.

So if you suspect you may have longer torsoed children and want to use a carrier for a while, I would totally recommend the SS1/SR32.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC