Can someone explain this? In little words?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Because I am having a hard time understanding exactly how and why this happens.

I am 5'5" with long legs/short torso. Husband is 6'2" with long torso/short legs. We have a Subaru Legacy wagon and Kia Optima sedan. We have a Nautilus center rear in each car. I just adjusted the headrest and raised the straps to the top position on both seats. I still see out the rearview mirror just fine in both cars. Husband reports that he can no longer see out of the rearview mirror in either car and requests that I move the seat outboard in the car he drives the most (which I will). How does it block for him but not for me? I'm shorter -- I should have a harder time seeing over a tall seat, right?

ADS

Maedze

Could it be that you are looking up and thus the reflection comes down and over the top of the seat, while your husband is looking at or down and thus the reflection from out the back is blocked?

o_mom

If your Legacy is like mine was, there is a height adjustment on the seat - he is probably moving it down when he drives. That's the only thing I can figure unless he likes a different view of the back than you do - my mom has some system of mirror settings that works for her but I can't figure it out.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, he doesn't adjust the height on the seat -- it's "his" car, so when I drive it I adjust the mirrors and move the seat up, but don't bother with the height and tilt and lumbar settings.

What Maezde wrote makes sense, I think. I know I'm looking up and over the seats. I think he's tall enough that he's probably looking down.

beeman

Tell him to try flipping the mirror upside down :twocents: . If he's looking down on it he's going to have poor visibility with or without the seat in the center position. I tried this with my rear view mirror because it was right at eye level and causing a big blind sight in the windshield. With it raised up it made a huge difference for visibility in the mirror too. This way the mirror will look over the seat rather than through it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC