Silly question about seat stickers aging.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is kind of a silly question, and may go to show that I really haven't had a seat in constant use other than the EFTA for long enough to know how stickers start to age by the 1yr mark. :eek:

I took some pic's of my EFTA earlier for something else and noticed in them how much the sticker on the side is really rippling and the one corner is peeling. The seat has almost a full 5yrs left before it expires, so I'm wondering how much worse the stickers are going to get? Maybe it's a product of how much moisture and freezing we've had combined this year?

Just wondering what the norm is and if I should have any concerns about the stickers becoming illegible before the seat expires. :eek:

DSC02820.jpg

(picture was taken crooked, so no, it's not actually over-reclined the way you might think by looking at the arrow in the picture. :thumbsup: )

DSC02822.jpg

ADS

Shaunam

Ours looks bad too. I've had this seat about 18 months, but honestly, for about 6 months it didn't get used much. And it sat in the house, not in the garage or on the porch. I'm not thrilled, but I probably won't get rid of this seat before it expires so I don't worry about other people not being able to read the stickers (and I know them by heart!). Sucks for people who rely on them though.

eftasticker.jpg

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I have a graco snugride that doesn't expire for another 2 years and most of the side stickers have come off. The important sticker with date of manufacture is fine.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Reminds me of the old Century seats...they had labels that dissolved in air :p You could put clear packing tape over it, I think. That's ensure the labels are properly around for someone else if you ever decide to sell or hand the seat down...

You'd think CMVSS/FMVSS 213 would cover this, really.. 'use a label that can be read and sticks on the seat for at least 10 years' (hah, so people know when it's expired, right? Britax labels rarely have issues, I wonder if they have a patent on their glue? lol)

:)

Maedze

My Wizard is four years old, has been in constant, primary use for almost all of that time and the stickers are in perfect condition. I wonder if it's just the EFTA :eek:

flutie128

My snugride sticker were not that pretty looking when I gave it away. The seat was purchased in 2004 and has been used for 3 kids now.

MOM25BOYS

Both stickers on my SS1 have come off and they couldn't be salvaged. Should I be concerned since I am most likely going to sell the seat?? They rippled and came off in bits and pieces until one day there was nothing left on the sides.

Pixels

My BabyTrend seat DOM and serial number sticker is useless. It now says Da e f Man
Se um

In my case, it's definitely a manufacturing/design defect. They put the sticker on the bottom of the seat, by baby's butt. You know, where the harness adjuster strap and splitter plate rub as it goes around the curve. The sticker is rubbed off (but only the important information). The seat is around 1.5 years old, used for half of that. I DID plan to sell it, but now I don't see how I can. I sure know that I wouldn't buy a seat from anyone without a confirmable DOM and serial. :thumbsdown: Of all the stickers on the seat, that's probably the most important one. The rest of the stickers, at least the info is in the manual. And could probably be replaced.

The Bjorns

The stickers on our Radian in my mom's car are so nasty! I was worried when we took it on a plan in April that I'd have problems because the stickers saying it's FAA approved are just beyond belief. Peeling and so brittle that if you touch them, they just come off.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow. Glad to know it's not just my seat, but I'm surprised what a common problem it is.

I believe the word "indelible" is used in regards to labels in CMVSS 213, but I'm sure extreme climate influences just how rugged stickers are.

The stickers on our Clek Olli are both coming off. It seems to be a design flaw, because the stickers are on the sides of the LATCH attachments so there's friction on them every time we take the seat in or out. DS wanted to pick them off last week, but I told him not to. There's no way that they will last the life of the seat though. The seat is rarely used and has only been in and out of a car about a dozen times, at most.

Pixels

The ink may be indelible to the stickers, but the stickers themselves definitely do come off. Adhesives in particular have a hard time with ageing. Add in the extremes in a car, and that accellerates the process.

Though the manufacturers really should try to avoid rub points.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC