Australian Britax boosters with anti-submarine clips

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.britax.com.au/websites/Britax/HomePage.nsf/LUPages/SnS-BOOSTERS - 14KG TO 26KG

Ok, so their higher end boosters have them... and they don't have armrests. Maybe they basically serve the same purpose of holding the lapbelt down to prevent submarining?

Just a theory, I'm sure it's ideal to have both (Britax was going to sell us the Starriser with anti submarine clip a few years ago, but it never made it to market).

Also note that we suddenly seem to have extremely exciting color options by comparison, don't we? :p

And they have crazy low weight limits... 57 pounds (26 kg, unless someone wants to click on every one and finds one higher? I hope they find it!)

ADS

fyrfightermomma

http://www.britax.com.au/websites/Britax/HomePage.nsf/LUPages/SnS-BOOSTERS - 14KG TO 26KG

Ok, so their higher end boosters have them... and they don't have armrests. Maybe they basically serve the same purpose of holding the lapbelt down to prevent submarining?

Just a theory, I'm sure it's ideal to have both (Britax was going to sell us the Starriser with anti submarine clip a few years ago, but it never made it to market).

Also note that we suddenly seem to have extremely exciting color options by comparison, don't we? :p

And they have crazy low weight limits... 57 pounds (26 kg, unless someone wants to click on every one and finds one higher? I hope they find it!)

I know Adventure Dad always was talking about their booster limits being like 55 lbs.

What's the deal? How come ours go to over 100, and they go to only 55-60? Are their kids just skinnier?

I wonder what makes their seatbelts "ok" after 55 lbs, but ours aren't until you are a full grown man (cause I still don't always pass the 5 step test)

I wonder if other countries with low booster max's have a higher injury/death rate among older kids? Say the 7-12 year old range? I'd think most 6-8 year olds would be hitting that 55 lb max.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the northern European booster limits are higher, though, like 55kg, or maybe at least 36kg...Australia may be alone in their low limits (though some of the boosters in the US used to be 60...).

Even scrawny but tall kids don't fit in adult seatbelts well till at least 70 pounds (though in tiny third rows they do fit much younger). And their cars are basically the same as ours.

Just seems strange, I mean, the seatbelt is doing the work, not the booster. But it's like our chicken and the egg problem, I guess... we can't get enough demand for higher weight RF seats, so they won't sell them, but maybe there'd be a demand if they sold them...I think there's just no market pressure for seats with higher weights down there (and their kids have obesity rates that mirror ours, so it's not because they have skinny kids :cool:)

Funny cars and kids are all about the same, physics laws are universal, yet laws and regs are so drastically different all over the world....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
It also looks like their boosters have top tethers too. Oh how I would be a kid in a candy store if I could get a booster with either rigid lower anchors or top tether (to keep it secure when not in use) plus the anti submarine clip. I would order all new boosters for my girls (4 in total).

finn

http://www.britax.com.au/Websites/Business/brproddb.nsf/LUPages/Child Car Seats-Maxi Rider AHR

This one is the top of the line, it has arm rests :) it also top tethers in booster mode, and has the anti-submarine clips. It also retails at $500NZD

Not to be rude but I think kids down here are skinnier, my niece is 10 and only weighs 24kg / 54ish lbs, my nephew is 9 and weighs the same, both have been out of boosters for years.

But a lot of kids are turned ff at 1 and are put in boosters at 3. Almost all of the kids in my daycare kids classes are in hbb or lbb, i've seen 2 in harnessed seats still. Most kids are out of boosters by 4.5/5 years even though they wont have reached the 26kg limit.

Oh yeah and your covers are awesome compared to ours.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, that's a Frontier :D

Those kids have been out of boosters for years, but does the adult belt fit them properly (bum all the way back, feet flat on the floor, lapbelt on the thighs, shoulderbelt on the shoulder, sitting that way the whole time?)...most kids are out of boosters here the moment the law lets up, but the seatbelt doesn't fit them properly for 3-6 years later, when they are actually big enough.

finn

I wondered if that was the same as your frontier, I would love it to have a higher weight limit harnessed.

No the adult belts don't fit most kids, but its the done thing here, kids use normal seat belts at 5. Even my 10 year old niece doesn't fit or properly use her seat belt :(

lenats31

The 55 lbs limit booster seats from Europe are the RF convertiables only.

The rest of them go to 80 lbs. They don´t have anti-submarine clips. They have armrests, under which you route the lapbelt. many of them have rigid latch too, but no top tethers.

I would love to have the anti-submarine clip.

Lena

delgirrrl

LOL, that's a Frontier :D

hehe, no, it's not really much like a frontier at all - although many people have commented that in pics it looks like one. Similar concept in that it's FF only with TSIP (which Britax Australia calls AHR), but they are very different seats. I'm tempted one day to go to one of the sellers and see if I can get one side by side with my frontier and take some comparison pics... oh I'm such a geek!!!

Yes, the Australian boosters only go to 26kgs, and as Finn has said, if you see a 5 year old child in Aus or NZ in any child restraint, it's a rarity :(

I asked Britax Australia why they had no RF seats available past 12kg (26lbs). To my surprise, she said the Australian standard set 12kg as the maximum any RF seat could go to! Oh yeah, that's a real safety concept!! I mean, I know there is conflicting research around harnessing kids over 18kg (40lb), (which is the max FF harness under the Aus standard) -but I've yet to see anyone seriously suggest it is safer to face forward after 12kg!:mad:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Bring it on, geek girl, I wanna see side by side pictures!

LOL, no, that's ok, I'm sure it's a pain. But what are the diffs? Is it more like an FF-only Two way plus, maybe? I'm sure it's rather smaller, and the headwings are smaller, but that shell is very Elite/Two way plus shaped...

delgirrrl

I'll go down and do it this weekend. The baby-city staff here are very friendly so I'll go and fess up to being a geek - I'm sure they'll humour me:D

Once I've done the pics I'll list the differences, so you can see what I'm talking about. Personally, although the Maxi-rider AHR is top of the line for what's available over here, I consider the Frontier a better seat in terms of usability, 'solid feel' and of course capacity. But I'll detail that with the pics.

I've only seen pics of the elite two-way plus, so it's hard to say for sure, but to me, the shell on that seems a lot like the original discontinued Maxi-Rider (since that they've had the Maxi-Rider II and now the AHR). I'd be pretty confident saying that the AHR has deeper sidewings.

More from geek girl later...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC