Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

True Fit on a plane or CARES harness?

Looks like we may be flying in a few months and I have some questions.

1. does the True Fit fit RF on a 737? Assume 32" seat pitch.
    2. any technical issues installing it RF?
    3. am I going to have problems with the FAs if I install it RF? DD will be over 2.5 years old at the time. I figured installed RF she'd be able to chat with us and play games easier than craning her neck FF (plus she's never sat FF before)
    4. am I better off installing her seat FF?
    5. should I just use a CARES harness and check her True Fit (packed in protective bag of course)? I think we will be renting a car so I would like to have a seat when we get there.
    6. should I take a CARES with me as back up in case I have issues with the FAs?

Additional info:
    • flight ranges from 6.5 hours to 12 hours depending on which booking we choose. I am obviously going to try and choose the shortest flight. There will be a minimum of one stop (on shortest flights) and the 2nd leg has a different flight #, so I don't know if that means we switch planes? I think it does.
    • flight is with WestJet
    Last edited by TechnoGranola; 02-09-2009 at 01:54 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: True Fit on a plane or CARES harness?

I think I'd use the TF on the plane, and just plan to install it ff'ing if they won't let you use it rf'ing. Strap height is easy to change on the TF so it should be easy enough, and then she'll have the shell to lean against for sleeping.

I've pretty much decided on the EFTA for our flight next week otherwise I'd be able to answer your question since we're flying west jet as well. I am planning to rf ds on the plane though - so I'll be able to tell you if I have any difficulties in that regard anyways. (Though if it varies a little by flight attendant, it won't give you a definite answer.)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Sweet, thanks Trudy. I will be anxiously waiting your report! The EFTA is wide like the TF, so it's comparable that way at least. And I think our kids are about the same age and size, so should be a good test for if they allow RF! (unless it ends up being FA dependent like you suggested).

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we just flew on a Southwest Flight with Jordan RFing and they did not try to make me turn him around FF, or even question it at all.

The flight attendant did ask me (for her count) if he was a ticketed passenger, or if he was a "lap baby" borrowing an empty seat. Hehehe. My 4 1/2 year old a lap baby.

Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we just flew on a Southwest Flight with Jordan RFing and they did not try to make me turn him around FF, or even question it at all.

The flight attendant did ask me (for her count) if he was a ticketed passenger, or if he was a "lap baby" borrowing an empty seat. Hehehe. My 4 1/2 year old a lap baby.
    Cute.

What seat did you use RF? and do you know what type of plane you were on?

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    Cute.

What seat did you use RF? and do you know what type of plane you were on?
    We used our Marathon. There is a video in the thread entitled "Our flight/flying solution".

Here is a picture of Jordan in the CARES at Goores.

I couldn't imagine making him ride in that thing on a long flight. He looks so uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    We used our Marathon. There is a video in the thread entitled "Our flight/flying solution".
    Thanks! I found your other thread so will take a look the videos when I can later today. That CARES does NOT look comfortable for sleeping and I really hope that DD will nap in her seat at least some of the time.

Just wondering if you wound up flying with the TF and if it fit well on the plane? Now that I'm considering it, since we fly 2-3x a year, I'd like to make sure it fits on a plane seat.
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2juliarose View Post
    Just wondering if you wound up flying with the TF and if it fit well on the plane? Now that I'm considering it, since we fly 2-3x a year, I'd like to make sure it fits on a plane seat.
    Our flight isn't until the beginning of June. I will report back then for sure though.