True Fit on a plane or CARES harness?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Looks like we may be flying in a few months and I have some questions.

1. does the True Fit fit RF on a 737? Assume 32" seat pitch.
  2. any technical issues installing it RF?
  3. am I going to have problems with the FAs if I install it RF? DD will be over 2.5 years old at the time. I figured installed RF she'd be able to chat with us and play games easier than craning her neck FF (plus she's never sat FF before)
  4. am I better off installing her seat FF?
  5. should I just use a CARES harness and check her True Fit (packed in protective bag of course)? I think we will be renting a car so I would like to have a seat when we get there.
  6. should I take a CARES with me as back up in case I have issues with the FAs?

Additional info:
  • flight ranges from 6.5 hours to 12 hours depending on which booking we choose. I am obviously going to try and choose the shortest flight. There will be a minimum of one stop (on shortest flights) and the 2nd leg has a different flight #, so I don't know if that means we switch planes? I think it does.
  • flight is with WestJet

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think I'd use the TF on the plane, and just plan to install it ff'ing if they won't let you use it rf'ing. Strap height is easy to change on the TF so it should be easy enough, and then she'll have the shell to lean against for sleeping.

I've pretty much decided on the EFTA for our flight next week otherwise I'd be able to answer your question since we're flying west jet as well. I am planning to rf ds on the plane though - so I'll be able to tell you if I have any difficulties in that regard anyways. (Though if it varies a little by flight attendant, it won't give you a definite answer.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sweet, thanks Trudy. I will be anxiously waiting your report! The EFTA is wide like the TF, so it's comparable that way at least. And I think our kids are about the same age and size, so should be a good test for if they allow RF! (unless it ends up being FA dependent like you suggested).

natysr

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we just flew on a Southwest Flight with Jordan RFing and they did not try to make me turn him around FF, or even question it at all.

The flight attendant did ask me (for her count) if he was a ticketed passenger, or if he was a "lap baby" borrowing an empty seat. :D Hehehe. My 4 1/2 year old a lap baby. :p

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we just flew on a Southwest Flight with Jordan RFing and they did not try to make me turn him around FF, or even question it at all.

The flight attendant did ask me (for her count) if he was a ticketed passenger, or if he was a "lap baby" borrowing an empty seat. :D Hehehe. My 4 1/2 year old a lap baby. :p
Cute. :D

What seat did you use RF? and do you know what type of plane you were on?

natysr

Cute. :D

What seat did you use RF? and do you know what type of plane you were on?

We used our Marathon. There is a video in the thread entitled "Our flight/flying solution".

Here is a picture of Jordan in the CARES at Goores.

I couldn't imagine making him ride in that thing on a long flight. He looks so uncomfortable.

386731699_ah5RV-S.jpg

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We used our Marathon. There is a video in the thread entitled "Our flight/flying solution".
Thanks! I found your other thread so will take a look the videos when I can later today. That CARES does NOT look comfortable for sleeping and I really hope that DD will nap in her seat at least some of the time.

mom2juliarose

Just wondering if you wound up flying with the TF and if it fit well on the plane? Now that I'm considering it, since we fly 2-3x a year, I'd like to make sure it fits on a plane seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC