Would you do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsmommy

My daughter has given up her morning nap. Which means when I need to pick my son up from school, she will be sleeping. My dad or step mom said they would pick him up. But, they do not have a seat. So I am thinking of getting a booster seat for their car. I do not trust them to take a seat in and out of their cars to switch around. My son is big. (see siggy)We planned on booster training him soon, but not yet. It is about a mile drive, no highway. I also think he would sit totally fine in a booster.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I would not put a child that age in a booster unless it's an absolute emergency, which this is not.

If you're only a mile from school, why not have your folks stop at your house first and take your car to pick him up?

Connor's Mom

No, I would not. I would not even atempt to booster train him "soon" either. He is not even 4 yet and it is his age and maturity that count not his size.

sirrahn

Is there not any way to adjust your DD's nap? I had the issue with school pick up at nap time for years. You just get her up and hope she continues sleeping in the car or eventually she'll just adjust her nap around it.

Your DS is big...really it's up to you if you want to let him try the booster, but I'd also be pretty leery at his age.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
OMG!! Our babies were born the same day!! YAY!!! mine's smaller than your though, lol.

And no, i wouldn't. My dd, who is actually 8 months older older than your ds, is currently causing me a lot of trouble with me needing a spare seat for school drop off reasons, and I've been considering a booster, but it isn't working, because first, she isn't fitting well in anything we have tried yet, and second, i cant get over how much less protection the boosters have...hello flimst piece of plastic!.....even using her very sturdy nauti as a booster, i see that crash test of the harnessed seat vs booster and dd flying sideways out of it....I don't think I can do it.

will your dd not sleep in the carseat? My ds takes his naps when I go pick up my dd fom school...or maybe the grandparents would be willing to come over and sit with dd while you go pick up ds?

adamsmommy

I am gonna try that first. Problem is, he goes at 12pm and gets out at 2:30. So by time I get her home, relaxed and in bed, it is like 1pm. Sometimes, she will fall asleep on the car ride home, which then works out. But I can't count on that.

My other option is give my neighbor the monitor and just listen for her. I live in a small, safe area.

I was really just hoping she would make it with 2 naps a few more months until summer, but she sleeps until 8:30 every morning now.

Connor's Mom

We were not planning on booster training him until after he is 4, which is just a few months.

Still, 4 years and 40 pounds is the very minumum for booster. The vast majority of 4 year olds are not ready for therefore not safe in a booster. I don't think that you will get many people around here to agree with you that a booster is a good idea for a just turned 4 year old. Once again it is maturity not size that matters.

My other option is give my neighbor the monitor and just listen for her. I live in a small, safe area.

WOW! I don't even see how this option could even be entertained. :eek:
She is not even 2 yet. I don't care if she is asleep, if she is alone this is just not safe.

adamsmommy

Still, 4 years and 40 pounds is the very minumum for booster. The vast majority of 4 year olds are not ready for therefore not safe in a booster. I don't think that you will get many people around here to agree with you that a booster is a good idea for a just turned 4 year old. Once again it is maturity not size that matters.

I get that.

We wanted to have him booster trained for emergencies. All our friends have kids in boosters, so that is what he would sit in for an emergency.

We were not going to use a booster as a main seat. That will be a Radian for a long time yet.

Connor's Mom

Sorry, I am not trying to be rude I just think that there has got to be a better solution to keep both your kiddos safe other than leaving your 1 year old alone at home or putting a 3 year old in a booster. :twocents:

adamsmommy

I agree. I am hoping to find one. She actually does fine without naps. So I just may wake her everytime and let her have a short nap. She sleeps 11-12 hours a night.

melniemi

Can your dad stop by your house and take your car w/the seat already in it to pick up your son?

Might be a little more of a pain, but then you wouldn't have to worry about seats.

Maedze

I don't think Connor's Mom was trying to be rude :twocents:

I would not put a three year old in a belt positioning booster outside of a life and death emergency. This is not it.

As far as leaving a one year old child home alone, I think that's why connor's mom got upset. This isn't even a viable option. Maybe you were trying to be tongue in cheek? Sometimes meaning gets lost on the interwebs :eek:

If you weren't, though, I'm fairly certain leaving a 1 year old at home is the sort of thing you could face criminal charges and jail time for if, heaven forbid, something horrible happened.

Listen, I do understand. Look at my siggy. I have three little ones, and no, their schedules do not always mesh and aren't always ideal. It can be a real pain, but sometimes, you just have to do the annoying thing, like wake up the sleeping baby and put her in the car, because that's the safest solution for all concerned.

Sceason1972

If you have someone willing to pick him up, then can that someone come to your house while the little one naps?

Can you get a seat like the Nautilus and install it for them (no in/out issues?)

Can your dd nap later? ie keep her up until pick-up time. She falls asleep in the car when yo go get him and hopefully can be transferred inside once you all return home.

abckidsmom

I would have dad or step mom come sit at home with the baby while I picked him up or have them use your car and his seat to pick him up.

Blame it on economics of buying a new seat, or see if they want to buy a dedicated nautilus to always stay in their car.

I've done it in the past, but knowing what I know now, I would not let the average less-than-5 yo sit in a booster. Even a large less-than-5 yo.

APmama2MAK

First choice personally would be to either keep DD up til later or wake her up.

If you have someone willing to pick him up, then can that someone come to your house while the little one naps?

This would be my second choice if I were in this situation. If someone was willing to drive to get the older child, they should be willing to just come and sit while the baby sleeps, then there are no compromise on safety or convenience.

lovinwaves

Keep in mind that in your state it is illegal to put a child in a booster before 40lbs AND 4 years old.

By the time he turns 4, wouldn't he be almost out of school? Or is this program running through Summer as well?

mykidsmylife

I often have to wake Seth up from naps to go pick up Johnathon. It sucks b/c he really does need those naps, but I have NO other option.

steph

I wouldn't use a booster. What about getting your DD up earlier than 8:30? Unless you all sleep that long I'd be waking her up at 7 or 7:30. Then she would probably revert back to 2 naps or at least fall asleep in the car when going to school and you could transfer her when you got home, then she would get at least a 2 hour nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC