Our Foster Care Journey

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
About a month ago, we began our journey to become foster parents. We had our first walk thru today, and I'm happy to say, we past with flying colors!! We only have 2 small things to take care of, and those will be done this weekend. Our LW (licensing worker) said she would submit all of our paperwork on Monday for our Home Study. She said they have up to '90 days' to complete it, but didn't expect it to actually take that long. We are mid-way thru our classes...so once our home study is complete, we should be awaiting our license. We will be doing ages 0-2, prefer 1 at a time, but would consider a sibling group of 2.

So hopefully by Thanksgiving, I will have a new little one to love. It's a mixed blessing...I would give anything for there not to be a need, but sadly there is.

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We will be doing strictly foster care. Our worker says there is a HUGE need for striclty foster care, even for babies...as most want to adopt them. So I don't think we will have many problems getting little ones!

RubysGirl

Yeah. My friend does foster adopt. She says they avoid putting babies in those homes right off because often a foster-adopt family may be inclined to sabotage (subconciously), so she doesn't usually get a baby unless it's obvious it's going to be a long term placement.

Lara

YAY Kay! How exciting.

How are your classes going? Oh and are they still letting you do daycare? (didn't you mention a problem about having the daycare and fostering.. or am I going crazy lol).

Getting a baby would be a very nice Thanksgiving blessing!

Lara

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Awesome!!! There's definitely a need, which is sad....

Are you accepting special needs, too? I'm guessing infants would only have physical/cognitive special needs since emotional special needs wouldn't be diagnosed yet -- sorry if that's too personal :eek:

(((((ALL THE BEST TO YOU))))) :)

P.S. have you figured out which carseat/s you'll keep around for the foster babies? ;)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
As of right now, I can continue to both daycare and foster care. But that may change come May of 07. That's a long way off (although it'll be here fast I'm sure), so I've got time to see what I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards getting my real estate license and quitting daycare. :confused: But we will see where things go.

Classes are going really good. We are about half way done. We will be finished 8/31. We have 4 left.

As for which carseats :D , depending on the age/size of the kiddo...if it's a newborn or infant, they'll go in the Safeseat. If they are older (9mo & up) they'll likely go in the MA (unless they are tiny)...and the RA will go into DH's vehicle so we aren't having to swap around.

Which actually means, I'll be short a harnessed seat while I'm still doing daycare, if I need to use the MA & RA for a foster baby!

A - RF BV
R - Currently in RA but would get moved to ??? maybe a CarGo? I'm thinking of that one anyways. I've got an Evenflo Express that I got from a friend, but she got it from a relative and didn't get the low down on the seat, and I'm just not comfortable using it anymore.
J - FF BV
T - FF MA, but would get moved to Parkway (he's 4 & over 40lbs)

I'm hoping I'll get a newborn, and won't have to worry about another seat for some time. I don't think dh would be happy if another Britax box showed up at my house! LOL It's hard enough hiding the pram I've got! :p

melaniev

wow ... that's so wonderful and good luck to you. i am so in awe of people that can do this. i went to 2 of the orientation meetings, had the home inspection, and was starting the class when i (or was it my husband) decided i couldnt handle another kid.

one of my girlfriends did foster care for a couple years and her toughest "crew" was a 15yo mom and her 2 babies. the babies were fine but the the teenager really gave her a run for her $.

i know in our area there is a demand for people willing to take hiv+ and drug-affected newborns. very sad but of course very needy.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Both of my children are older (16 & almost 10) so handling another child on the home side of thing shouldn't much of an issue (aside from the future lack of sleep!). And with having the daycare, I'm already used to a large group. Right now I only have 4, and seems easy compared to what I've had in the past (I've done 7, thanks...but no thanks! lol). I've had these same four for some time, and we are in a good routine. I think that will help a lot. So I'm pretty confident one more, even a tough one, will be doable. Time will tell.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Iluvbabies57 said:
Kay who is going to get the shannon bv:p ?

Lara

LOL, probably R to begin with, if I can move her to a BV. I'll likely keep the foster baby in the center, and that means Safeseat to begin with. I don't know if I can fit a BV in the center next to another 'big' Britax...but if I can it'll likely be the MA so I can keep a BV outboard. The RA fits in the center perfectly, even next to the BV rf.

Now, if I quit daycare, I can put the BV center and depending on if it's a boy or a girl...they'd either use the Mosaic (boy) or Shannon (girl) cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC