Pictures of Son in Scenera...

Freedom_Pixie

Here are the pictures that I promised of my DS in the Scenera:Hope it works...

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I went to walmart today, and I tried out the Nautilus and he didn't swim in it...:scratcheshead:

ADS

Freedom_Pixie

He looks like a big boy. I wouldn't be surprised if your 29 pound weighing is correct.

He is pretty big, he is about the same height as his cousin (who happens to be 4 1/2 months older then DS is). So which seat do you think I should get, Nautilus or Ture fit?

Murphy's Law

If you are going to turn him back RF, which would be the safest thing and what most or all of us here would do, I would go with the True Fit and use it rear facing. If you aren't going to rear face him, then I guess you could go with the Nautilus making sure it is top tethered.

NannyMom

I would really like to see him RF in the True Fit. It also looks like he has a big head (not meant as an insult.... many kids his age do too), that would be even more reason to have him RF.

If you absolutely flat out refuse to RF, then I'd say the Nautilus.

Murphy's Law

Can you get a side shot of him in that seat? I'm not convinced he's outgrown it RF by height. The angle of the picture looks as if he is as tall as the shell, but is that really the case? Does he have an inch of hard shell above his head? If he does, he can still RF in that scenera for a bit longer.

Freedom_Pixie

My main problem is that I want to turn him back to Rfing. But DH absolutly refuses, I try to explain to him why I think this way but he just gives me a big fat No. I don't refuse to rf him, but my DH does. I would love to get a true fit and turn him rfing, but DH is the one going to be installing the car seat, so either seat he will continue to be FFing. How can I convince him to RF DS? I explained to him that it is safer that way, but he says that he knows more about it then I do (he has one of those know it all attitudes).

Freedom_Pixie

Can you get a side shot of him in that seat? I'm not convinced he's outgrown it RF by height. The angle of the picture looks as if he is as tall as the shell, but is that really the case? Does he have an inch of hard shell above his head? If he does, he can still RF in that scenera for a bit longer.

I will get a side view picture. But he is so close to being as tall as the shell.

NannyMom

Why can't you install the seat yourself? You can learn alot about it by reading the manual. If you can find a tech near you, he/she can help you figure it out too.

What does your pediatrician say about RF? Just don't ask when DH is around because not all pediatricians are up to date on carseat info ;)

Freedom_Pixie

DS' Doc isn't up to date on car seat info. I can try to install the seat, but DH feels more important if he does something like that other wise he feels worthless. Can you guys help me to understand the tethering thing? I don't know if our car can do that? We have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, if that helps. Is the LATCH and tether system safer than using a seatbelt? My confessions, I barely know anything about installing a car seat:shrug-shoulders:.

NannyMom

LATCH is made up of 3 parts. 2 lower anchors, which are in the bite of the seat. And 1 tether which is usually somewhere behind the seat. LATCH is not neccissarily safer than the seatbelt.

Older cars don't have LATCH. However, the tethers can be retrofitted. You need to contact a Jeep dealership and have them order it for you. You can have 2, 1 for each outboard seat. It will go in the ceiling. The part number is 05003422AB.

Tethering helps reduce forward movement in a crash.

scatterbunny

How old is he?

If RF is a losing battle, and he's at least 2, I would go with a Nautilus and not worry (too much ;)). IF he's under 2, though, I'd find crash test video comparisons of RF and FF to show your dh, and maybe some of the RF YouTube videos.

Murphy's Law

I think she said he was 23 months.

Regardless of which way your seat will be facing, I strongly recommend you sit down with it one day (perhaps when ds is napping and you have an hour or so to figure this out in peace) and become familiar with its features and those of your vehicle. I would hate to think that some time there could be some emergency, switch of vehicles, or whatever, and you might be clueless and completely stressed about having to install that seat yourself. If you find a good tech, he/she will not only install it for you but teach you how to install it yourself. I would play with it and practice installing it RF, FF, and with Latch as well as the seatbelts. It's really important that you learn how to do it yourself. And then, when you decide on what your next seat will be, I'd become familiar with that one and learn how to install it as well.

I hope you find something that works for you and gives you peace of mind.

I'm really glad that you are seeking out answers to your questions here. This is a great place to start! :thumbsup:

Freedom_Pixie

I have good news, I just had a long arguement with DH and he said ok on one condition. If Ds doesn't like being in RF mode, then he gets switched back. At least I got an Ok, but it is just to see if DS like rfing or not. If he does he is going to stay that way until the max requirments for that seat to be RFing. DH said that I can try to install the seat in the car too.:2thumbsup:, because he said that I do need to learn how to do it.

NannyMom

That's great!! :) I'm glad you'll both know how to install the seat. Give DS a couple days to get used to it if he needs to :)

scatterbunny

That is a GREAT update-I'm so glad your dh gave in, once you gave him a good, solid argument. :D

One thing that usually helps older kids feel more comfortable RF: install the seat more upright than the line on the side of the seat indicates. :thumbsup: Only newborns and young infants need a full 45 degree recline. You can have the seat as upright as 30 degrees. Older kids like to sit up and look around. If he's got the head room, try RF him in the Scenera to see how he likes it. Keep in mind that the True Fit will offer significantly more seat shell height AND leg room.

He is such a cutie!!!

My dh was against Rearfacing(past 1 and 20 pounds) and past harnessing past 3 years old-he was always the one who installed carseats.

Then, about 2 years ago I got on a few carseat boards and I showed him the benefits of Rear facing and Harnessing.

We got my 26 month old back RF (in the scenera) and my 4 year old back harnessed. :)

Now, I learned how to install the carseats(since I have a home daycare I had to learn, plus I think you should just in case you have to by yourself), and now my dh is all for harnessing and Rearfacing. :)

Edited to add: If you want to see a pic of my son RF in the scenera let me know. He did outgrow it RF way before his other seats.

If it is in your budget I would def. get a true fit or an evenflo triumph advance. He was way more comfortable in his Evenflo triumph advance than his scenera RF.

flutie128

When DS was a baby DH installed all of the car seats. I went to a seat check at Walmart one day and learned all about installing the seat and I do it primarily now (DS is 4.5). DH can install a car seat if he needs to but I would double check it to make sure he did it right.

Freedom_Pixie

Edited to add: If you want to see a pic of my son RF in the scenera let me know. He did outgrow it RF way before his other seats.

If it is in your budget I would def. get a true fit or an evenflo triumph advance. He was way more comfortable in his Evenflo triumph advance than his scenera RF.

Can you put a pic. up of him in the car seat? I am not to fond of Evenflo, because I had a bad experience with one. Never going to go back to an evenflo again. I am looking at a true fit though, can anyone tell me more about it? I looked online at the site Learning curve, but it doesn't give much information, like how tall is it and what not. I am also looking at Britax car seats, if anyone wants to share the information about those I am all ears. TIA.

APmama2MAK

If you would of asked me a few weeks ago, I would of said the EXACT same thing about never buying evenflo. Im sold on the true fit premiere, but I definitely want an EFTA for my back up seat since trying it out in a store. I fell in love with the harness height adjuster and the knobs to tighten it. The only thing I dont like about it is it doesnt have lock offs.

If I were you Id go and try them each out in a store, it really surprised me that I liked it.

Can you put a pic. up of him in the car seat? I am not to fond of Evenflo, because I had a bad experience with one. Never going to go back to an evenflo again. I am looking at a true fit though, can anyone tell me more about it? I looked online at the site Learning curve, but it doesn't give much information, like how tall is it and what not. I am also looking at Britax car seats, if anyone wants to share the information about those I am all ears. TIA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC