Has anyone else noticed...

canmom

I was just talking to a mom today at a baby shower and she was trying to tell me her kids were still in carseats etc. I finally figure out she is talking about a AOE 3 in 1 and she has it converted to a booster for her kids (one is just 3 :thumbsdown:). Do you find that parents think a booster is just the cushion and that a HBB is still a car seat? When I think of "car seat" I'm thinking a 5-point harness. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this??

ADS

BW1426

I find that parents tend to call boosters carseats...or my favorite "baby seats" :thumbsdown:

NannyMom

A friend of mine was telling me how she hated her neice's carseat. It was such a pain and didn't seem so safe. Neice is 2 (but she says the size of a 5 year old :confused:). It was a TB. I kept calling it a booster, and she kept saying no, it's a carseat. She thought a booster was just a backless.

But, she is childless, and doesn't watch kids often (her neice is in another state).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They are all car seats to me,:shrug-shoulders: infant, convertible, combo and booster.

solmama

They're all carseats to me, too, just different styles. And I wouldn't call anything a baby seat. My ds would jump out of his TF if I said that, he's decided he's "big." :).

canmom

I don't know... it was sorta a weird conversation. She was basically saying she would never put them in a booster, it wasn't as safe as a car seat etc, etc. Then I figured out that she had them in HBB and was thinking a booster was a cushion. She was trying to tell me the AOE went to 60 lbs.... I said I think it only goes to 40lbs harnessed... then she said Oh, we don't use the harness we use the seat belt. I then clued in when she was saying car seat she was talking about the AOE converted to a booster. She did also refer to "baby seat"... what are they talking about when they say that? Anything harness, rfing, infant buckets etc??

flutie128

Why would you call it a baby seat when you want a big kid to ride in it? My DS calls my DD's seat a baby seat sometimes but DD rides in a rear facing convertible or an infant bucket. We use to call the bucket the baby's seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I definitely think a lot of parents view the booster as a carseat and think of it as being much more protective than it is. Many if not most parents I talk to don't understand the role of a booster - to position the adult seatbelt properly so that it's able to protect the child. More parents are receptive - at least IME, to keeping younger children harnessed once they have a better understanding of what a booster's purpose is and that it's the adult seatbelt providing the restraint in a collision. An out of position child or one who has played with the buckle and just unbuckled at the last second just plain isn't protected by the seatbelt regardless of the booster...

Why would you call it a baby seat when you want a big kid to ride in it? My DS calls my DD's seat a baby seat sometimes but DD rides in a rear facing convertible or an infant bucket. We use to call the bucket the baby's seat.

I don't really understand calling the booster a baby seat as I usually hear parents telling kids that they're "big and don't have to ride in a baby seat anymore" when they're booster shopping. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's a case of when a kid is getting older all the sudden the booster becomes the baby seat? Just because being baby'ish is such a negative connotation?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My almost-five-year-old calls her harnessed seat (Radian) a "big girl seat" (despite the fact that her two younger sisters, including the baby, ride in the same seats.) To her, the seat is a big girl seat because she's a big girl and she rides in it! She even tells me that other kids/characters on tv/whoever would be "more comfy" if they rode in a "big kid seat." LOL!

I think the whole "baby seat" thing is because of parents referring to it that way-- probably mostly because they are used to thinking of moving to a new type of seat as "graduating" and a new "milestone" rather than a step down in safety, as we think of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC