OT: Need help with new home floor plans!!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok me and dh are getting a new home modular and have been looking and looking and plan on getting the ball started rolling on it in mid sept so the first thing we need to do is pick a floor plan. we have looked at all these models in person took personal pics but are still back and forth... so i need some more opinions and ideas~! LOL

#1 http://www.rileyhomes.com/redman/redman-XT3280.htm this is the outside picutres. http://www.rileyhomes.com/pdf/redman-XT3280-01.pdf and here's the floor plan!!!

#2 http://www.rileyhomes.com/dutch/dutch-DT3280.htm outside http://www.rileyhomes.com/pdf/dutch-DT328003and04.pdf this is the floor plan but it would have the 'ultimate kitchen' that is shown of page 2 of the floor plan

#3 http://www.rileyhomes.com/dutch/dutch-DT3280-11.htm outside http://www.rileyhomes.com/pdf/dutch-DT328011.pdf and floor plan

Here is what we think right now

#1 is much less onsale ($20K we can still afoid the others, we would be a less payment) the the others as it's onsale and the bedroom and quite large enough to accomidate all the kids stuff in thier own rooms... down is there isn't much seprating the livingroom and family room...

#2 LOVE the large open kitchen with lots of room and able to see in most of the home from there. there are three bathrooms but not an easily ecessible one for the guests we might have over with out walking through a bedroom or utillity room.

#3 like it, bedroom are alittle small but the activity room could be a partcial play room. Bad thing is the kitchen (were i seem to spend 4 or so hours a day is far away from where i think the kids would spend most of their time (activity room). I do really like the activie room a lot as much of our family time woudl be spent there and the mess of kids kept there and a nice formal livingroom for when people stop by.

My family is me(23), Dh (27), ds (6), dd (4), dd (2). DD 2 still sleeps with us but that's only for a few years... the others stay in thier own beds almost all night eveyr night.

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
It is so much fun to respond to this because dh & I were going through the same thing a year ago and looked at the same exact houses. We ended up going with the 3rd one you have listed (with the activity room at the end of the house) and we absolutely LOVE it! I can't even begin to tell you what a wonderful family friendly house it has been for us so far. We also have 3 kids (4 1/2, 3, and 2) and so far the bdrm size hasn't been an issue. It seems that as long as they each have their own space, the size doesn't matter so much. The kitchen is very good size with lots of space (I especially like the pantry) and the activity room (what we call the family room) is fabulous. We got the optional entertainment center on the end wall (at the back of the house) and actually wish that we would've gotten it on a different wall, so thats something to think about. The windows in that room are so wonderful, but they also make it the hottest room in the summer & the coldest room in the winter. I have a daycare and have the whole living room set up with daycare stuff (but there are also plenty of toys in the family room). The kids obviously have free range of the house and spend just as much time in the living room as they do the family room. And, when I'm in the kitchen, they tend to bring their toys into the kitchen/dining area so that they can be close to me. As long as the activity room is child proof, it doesn't bother me that they play there when I'm in the kitchen. The optional computer desk (which I'm sitting at right now) is also very nice, in a convenient spot where I can keep an eye on the kids and I know that I can always keep an eye on what the kids are doing on the computer. My only big complaint is the laundry room. Its very small and doesn't really have any storage. I spend plenty of time in there, too, so it would be nice if it was a little bigger and nicer. Its a very nice house and Dutch has been very good about coming to fix things that are covered under their 1 yr warranty (most things are and not all manufactured/modular house companies even have warranties). You specified that you are getting a modular home, ours is actually manufactured, so its not on a basement, but a permanent slab foundation.
I remember looking at the #1 that you have listed and what I didn't like was that the kitchen was a walk-thru to the back door. I thought it would be a pain to have the kids running through the kitchen all day. I'd rather keep the mess & the dirt out from under my feet, if you know what I mean. The kitchen also didn't have near as much storage space, but the laundry room is a little bigger, although the family room isn't near as big...
I also remember looking at the #2 that you have listed. Its nice that it has 3 bathrooms, but the 2 little bathrooms would be kind of inaccessible to guests because they would have to go through the kids bdrm or through the laundry room door. I think that was the only thing I really didn't like about it.
Both of those 2 have the 'retreat' off the master bdrm which I thought would be really nice to use for a baby's room or a home office.
For us, the decision was made when we were walking through the houses on the lot. The minute we walked in the door of this house we knew it was the one for us. We did get full drywall (which should be standard on modular) and flat (8 ft ceilings). We also got a higher roof pitch because we live up north and didn't want to have to worry about shoveling snow off the roof. The colors we chose were ivory for the siding and green for the roof and it looks great. We also got lots of little extras like oak countertop edges and tile backsplash in the kitchen and bathrooms. Sorry this has gotten so long, but I hope it helps you a little... I know its a huge decision to make! If you have any other questions about setup or the whole process, let me know!
Mackenzy
also, if you want me to take pictures of our house and email them to you, I would be glad to, just let me know!

Last edited:

becca011906

Senior Community Member
You have NO idea how helpful that was to hear from a mom that lives in the home we like the most like and have 3 kidos!!! We PICS AWSOME!!!! A really lived in home i woudl love ya forever! LOL I think we have pretty much decited to go with this one. DO you mind me asking why you got the manufactured vs a modular? ALso did you have the garage built with the house? Where are you located again if you don't mind me asking... if you want to PM or email me that would be great!!! :)

Tara

Niiiiice I'm leaning to that 3rd option too. As a homeschooling mom, that big room is *very* appealing. I can see that as a school room/play area.

Then I like #1 too...with the family room next to the kitchen. Like you said, kitchen where you spend so much time, family room could be kid play room (or again, as I would use, school/play room)

The thing that 'bothered' me the most about the other, is that shared bathroom between bedrooms 3 and 4 or whatever. The only access to that bath was through one of those bedrooms. Those things have just always annoyed me LOL

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Thanks, everyone that looks at these says the same thing #3 is the best option... i was just a little worried about the kids being so far from the kitchen and me having to run back and forth between the kitchen and "activitiy room" like of an evening when dh is working and i'm getting dinner but i guess my kids are getting old 6,4,2 and will only be getting bigger and bigger... Also looking again i do like that the livingroom has a very large coat/shoes closet too...

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
You're so right, Tara! We use our activity room as a home schooling area, too. We have a big sectional couch and behind it is our school area with a table and a buffet (for storage of school supplies). Its so great to have a real spot to dedicate to that purpose.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC