Need booster ideas....

MustangMama

DD rides in a booster for her 3rd car seat, which is only used a few times a month.

Her TB is too tippy for my likings, so I am wanting to buy her one with rigid latch. If it were thinner, that would also be nice because I can't move the seat belt stalk and her TB is almost sitting on it.

Can you guys tell me all the seats that have rigid latch? Or even seats that allow the booster to be used with latch (besides the Nautilus we already have, it's too wide too to be used with latch and seat belt while in booster mode)

ADS

BW1426

I think the Oobr is the only narrow option right now and I'm not sure when those are scheduled to ship. The Monterey is wide and I don't believe it has rigid LATCH, just regular LATCH. Then the Frontier.

I have to say I'm confused by the posts from people about tippy boosters. I've never had trouble with any of the boosters we have tipping in a variety of vehicles. Are your seats contoured at all?

MustangMama

I dunno if I would say they are "contoured" but more "scooped". Here is a stock photo, mine are black leather so it makes it even worse....

mustangbackseat.jpg

How much is the Oobr going to cost? Maybe I should set aside some of my tax money to get her one.....

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
YK, if you can find one, you might want to try the Air. It's known for its width, but it's actually narrower than the TB at the back, where your buckles would be. Plus, it's kind of up on a "base" that is narrower than the seating area (which is where it gets its reputation for width) so it might just fit in that contouring.

I can take some measurements if you want.

emandbri

Wow, those are some weird seats! I'm not sure what would fit right there, I think you are right that a latched seat would be the way to go.

Elite car seats has the price at $239 for solid colors and $254 for Paul Frank ones.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Oobr and the hard-to-find Jane Indy Plus are the only boosters with rigid LATCH, and they are both $200 or more.

I wanted to say also the turbo sucks in those kind of seats as well as the parkway. I tried them in my mil's camaroo and they suck.

I am going to watch your thread, because MIL is wanting one of the newer mustangs or camaroo's for her next vehicle and just looking at what booster would be good.

MustangMama

YK, if you can find one, you might want to try the Air. It's known for its width, but it's actually narrower than the TB at the back, where your buckles would be. Plus, it's kind of up on a "base" that is narrower than the seating area (which is where it gets its reputation for width) so it might just fit in that contouring.

I can take some measurements if you want.

Are you talking about a Graco AirBooster??

MustangMama

I just really want something with rigid latch. I think with the way the seats are scooped, it will hold it in place better so DD can buckle herself. As of now when she uses her TB, I have to literally pick up her seat with her in it so we can push it to the side and buckle the buckle. Its just too close to the side of the TB.

What's so nice about the Jane Indy? I like the design that it comes with, but can someone tell me about it?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Where are the lower anchors located? Are they in the crease just below the little buttons? If they are, I don't think any rigid latch connectors are going to line up with your anchors.

I can't guarantee it but the Recaro Start might work since it sits up on a base and can be tethered.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I actually have some concerns about rigid LATCH in those seats -- is it possible that the booster base will not actually rest on the seat? I can't think that would be a good thing, even if it doesn't *feel* tippy.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I should clarify that you can't use rigid latch connectors if they raise the CR up off the vehicle seat. Here is a pic of the Indy Plus installed with rigid latch in my Ford Freestar.

View attachment 3737

skaterbabs

I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I bet Julie (joolsplus3) knows. I think she had one. A Recaro maybe?

munchkin

Actually a Parkway fits very nicely into the seats. I put one into a Ford Mustang tonight. It fit with very little movement into the 'scoop' of the seat, but plenty of room to buckle, probably enough for kiddo to buckle by themselves.

Now the real problem is getting any height in the booster. None adjust very tall because of the back glass.

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Don't mind me - I think someone slipped something into my morning coffee. Yes, I meant the Graco Air Booster, but when I got in my car tonight I realized I was wrong - the "base" part is just as wide as the "seating" area and looking at it, I really doubt it would help.

As for the top tether, I think the Start is the only booster that top-tethers. It's also pretty narrow, though, so it might very well fit right into your scooped seats. Again, I can measure if you want.

ETA: Heck, if the dealer here in town has one, I can go stick it in a Mustang and see if it works.

MustangMama

Where are the lower anchors located? Are they in the crease just below the little buttons? If they are, I don't think any rigid latch connectors are going to line up with your anchors.

I can't guarantee it but the Recaro Start might work since it sits up on a base and can be tethered.

Correct.

The anchors are funky, but a rigid booster will fit. I tried the Clek Olli (?) and it fit fine. It has standard spacing.

Here is an idea of where the anchors are.

One is vertical, and the other is horizontal:
New022.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC