re: CARGO

Simplysomething

re: CARGO

So, look, this Cargo right here? LOOKS exactly like the one my son has. Except, of course the CA at the end of the item number.

(and of course they don't have that one at the US site)

Just bugs me, my six year old? He could still fit that thing, if we were in Canada! (he's only 44 lbs, and 48 in-- at his 6 year check up a couple of weeks ago. when he sits in it, his shoulders are below the top harness slots).

ADS

Yoshi

I am with you on this one! We have a CarGo as a spare seat and not only does my 3 yr old love it- it is a cinch to install and nice and narrow, too. I wish we could use it for 13 more pounds insted of just 5 more!!! I am assuming from reading things here on this site, that in Canada they have tested it to that 48 lb. limit, whereas in the US, they haven't? Please , someone clarify this because that's the only thing I can think of. And conversely, the Canadian Marathons are only approved to harness to 48 lbs, and the US ones are approved to 65lbs? So if it's the same seat, one might think the testing standards are different? I'd like to know.....:confused:

jenny03

I know, my daughter was quite happy in her Cargo, but outgrew the thing when she turned 4. She had 2 more harness slots to go, so I was disappointed.

Splash

They're the same seats, with the same limits. Canada mandates a top tether, US does not.
I have a friend using an evenflo combo over the 40 pound limit and if I had to I would too, provided a top tether was used.
The actual SEAT is no different. Same way as the CA marathon is no different from the US marathon. But canada will not certify a seat over 48 pounds. However if I was in canada I would have no qualms using a marathon until 65 pounds if my child wasn't too tall for it.

Splash

yoshiandluke said:
I am with you on this one! We have a CarGo as a spare seat and not only does my 3 yr old love it- it is a cinch to install and nice and narrow, too. I wish we could use it for 13 more pounds insted of just 5 more!!! I am assuming from reading things here on this site, that in Canada they have tested it to that 48 lb. limit, whereas in the US, they haven't? Please , someone clarify this because that's the only thing I can think of. And conversely, the Canadian Marathons are only approved to harness to 48 lbs, and the US ones are approved to 65lbs? So if it's the same seat, one might think the testing standards are different? I'd like to know.....:confused:

In canada, seats are tested with a top tether and must pass with a top tether. In the US they are tested with and without and must pass without. Other than that, it's the same seat.

As for the MA, transport canada will not certify a seat past 48 pounds because it is all they test for. The same way they will not certify a seat to RF past 30 pounds, even though they can. So the Scenera in canada is the same as the scenera in the US, but in canada it's only 'legal' to RF to 30 pounds. Plenty of people go over it though, and plenty of people go over 48 pounds in the MA (if the kid isn't too tall).

Lea_Ontario

Splash said:
In canada, seats are tested with a top tether and must pass with a top tether. In the US they are tested with and without and must pass without. Other than that, it's the same seat.

As for the MA, transport canada will not certify a seat past 48 pounds because it is all they test for. The same way they will not certify a seat to RF past 30 pounds, even though they can. So the Scenera in canada is the same as the scenera in the US, but in canada it's only 'legal' to RF to 30 pounds. Plenty of people go over it though, and plenty of people go over 48 pounds in the MA (if the kid isn't too tall).

This must have changed - as there are seats in Canada that RF to 33 or 35 lbs, and have been for at least 3 1/2 years now.

super_grape

It used to be 33lbs. for Britax and 35 lbs. for Cosco
but Transport Canada chopped it off at 30lbs. for ALL mfrs.
to make one very large baby gear company happy:mad: .
It was a very irresponsible decision, IMHO.

You can still find some Cosco seats that go to 35lbs.
at Zellers and Canadian Tire but they would be older.
I don't know exactly when the change was official but
I do know that it was sometime before or around Feb./Mar.
of 2005 because that's when I took the CRST coarse
and my instructor (who's the TC head of all things child seat
related here in Ottawa...she has a title but I can't remember
what it is:p) told us about it.

Splash

Yeah, the seats can still RF past 30 pounds because they are the same seats they always were (and still are in the US). But they can only be labeled to 30 pounds, and are only 'legal' to 30 pounds. Because Graco and Evenflo shouldn't have to raise up to meet the bar that everyone else is setting, we should just lower the bar for them.

Simplysomething

My son has apparently gained 3 lbs since August 4th! lol. So he's 47 not 44 (my kiddos are sick so we went to the ped yesterday)...But still, he out grew it by weight (the harness) at around 4 as well. He'd been using it as a booster since then and recnetly we purchased the turbo.

Ugh, it would be great if they'd go...okay, this seat is only rated to 40 lbs UNLESS you use the tether.... (I got the tether installed in my car when my son was an infant...I recently had it moved from the center to the outboard--so I could tether the baby when he's ff'ing--but if the cargo would have been legal to 48 lbs in the US with a top tether, I would have installed a second tether, lol. DARN IT!)

I really need to check my spam account to see if I got a response. I realize that Canada and the USA are two different countries, but it is so easy to travel to one from the other, you'd think they'd try to have similar safety laws. Yeah right.

melaniev

so are you saying you think it's ok to use the CarGo to 48? I think I might get that then instead of the apex, for my mom's car. i need to get something because she snuck out yesterday in a totally unnecessary trip while i was still asleep, borrowing a shield booster from her beighbor.

Splash

Do *I* think it's okay? Meaning would *I* do it with my own child? Yes. Am I advising YOU to do it? No. Because it is against the manufacturer's guidelines. Just because I know the seat has passed higher testing, doesn't mean I would advise people to purposely go against the manufacturer's guidelines.

But this bothers me with these seats. Because quite often people will talk about going over 48 pounds on a canadian marathon, not having any hesitation about it because it's the same seat. But if someone mentions going to 47 in an evenflo combo or 48 in a cargo, it's frowned upon. Even though the argument should be the same. If the seat has been tested, and passed, then you should be able to use it.

The canadian cargos DID use to be different than the US ones. So I probably wouldn't do it with an older US cargo, because I can't be totally sure. But the newer ones, yeah, I would do it if I had to and would definitely use the top tether. But I don't have to, so I don't.

hsjwmom

too old?

I have a Cargo that was mf 2003...would you consider that too old? I use it for a spare in dh car and hated the idea of having to use a booster for the spare when my dd outgrows it. (my dd is 4, probably about 37-38 lbs by now) I would sooooo much rather keep her in the Cargo if at all possible....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks,
Milcah

Simplysomething

msbeltran said:
I have a Cargo that was mf 2003...would you consider that too old? I use it for a spare in dh car and hated the idea of having to use a booster for the spare when my dd outgrows it. (my dd is 4, probably about 37-38 lbs by now) I would sooooo much rather keep her in the Cargo if at all possible....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks,
Milcah

I tell you what, I wouldn't continue using it past the US guidelines. If something should happen, even if it wasn't because you were using the seat over the US limit, you would be SOL. Splash was only speaking of what splash would do.

Now, if Graco came out and said it was okay? I'd do it.

Splash

I would not advise anyone to do it. Period. Ever. I wouldn't even do it unless I was really strapped for cash and it was the only seat I had. But if the choice was between that and a booster my kid wasn't ready for, *I* would do it. Me personally. However I don't even own that seat and likely never will, and Charlie will never not have an appropriate legal car seat to use, so it's a bit of a moot point for me. I was just pointing out that the seats are in fact the same.

melaniev

i really cant justify the $79 or so price tag anyway since she's 38# at last measure. but i really do need to get something for my mom's house / car. like i said, the other day they ran to walmart (for little plastic toys) with some sort of shield booster she borrowed from her neighbor.

skaterbabs

right. Shield boosters are extremely dangerous. If you only have a lap-belt available you need to find a new seat witha higher weight limit.

And from what I understand there *are* differences between the Canadian CarGo and the US model (different foam, ect), that may affect the crash testing. I would strongly discourage anyone from using the US CarGo to the Canadian limits because of this.

melaniev

it's not lap-only; she has a volvo v70 wagon. she just didn't want to wait a 1/2hr to get my seat. the kids were only there overnight (8pm-10:30am) basically on a whim, they were invited and i figured i could use a good night's sleep. she'd promised me they wouldn't be going anywhere.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC